Making a insurance claim and purchase proof

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
So a couple weeks ago I was unfortunate to have my car broken into and my camera bag with all my gear in stolen.

Anyway I'm in the process of making a claim, along with some odd requests (picture of the car park the break in happened?) I have slight issue with the receipt for a lens I bought from Digital Rev.

I have the order email and PayPal invoice, the issue is the insurer won't accept the PayPal invoice because it doesn't state what was bought. It just shows I made a payment to Digital Rev Limited for the same amount.

Has anyone had a similar issue and how was it resolved?

Thanks.
Mark

I was fortunate that when I had a break in (several years ago) - the insurance company accepted things like a photo of the original box for one item, and a photo of the manual for another - both were for second hand items which I did not have a receipt for.
Did you have any other documentation from Digital Rev - order confirmation, etc, which does have the lens info (and price), which the insurance company may accept in combination with the PayPal invoice?

Hi Mark,

Can you not contact digital rev and explain the situation? Maybe they can get the details and send you a proof of purchase/invoice.

Good luck. They like taking you money but do all they can to prevent paying you.

Matt

Thanks guys.

I have the email confirming the order which states the item and price but no payment method. Which was sent along with PayPal invoice.

I have contacted Digitall Rev and to my surprise they got back to me. They have told me that because the order is over a year old the records of it will have been deleted. Lens was bought January 2018.

out of curiosity what is the warranty period on lenses bought from digital rev? Just wondering because if it was say 3 years i don't get why they would delete sales invoices after only one year since that would leave them with the same issue you currently face in a warranty situation. If they only do a 12 month warranty it is a moot point i guess

Do the dates and timestamps of the Ordering email with its item description and price match to the Paypal Invoice i.e. do they not compliment each other timeframe wise?

Plus as @Faldrax says do you have the box and the manual or any other physical elements that show the lens was in your possession???

Yeah to the box but not to the manual. I think one of my vlogs might have the lens in it.
Do the dates and timestamps of the Ordering email with its item description and price match to the Paypal Invoice i.e. do they not compliment each other timeframe wise?

Plus as @Faldrax says do you have the box and the manual or any other physical elements that show the lens was in your possession???

On your bank statement it should show PayPal payment to digital rev and a corresponding amount.
Surely this along with the order email would prove what you purchased?

With my insurer when I buy a new item I send them the serial number to add to my account then I don’t need to provide proof of purchase.

This works well for me as some of my gear was bought used privately.

Appreciate this doesn’t help the o.p, I purposely chose this company for that reason even though they where a little bit more expensive.

Same here. They have all the serial numbers. Another odd thing is that one of the lenses I bought for cash and they aren't even questioning this.
With my insurer when I buy a new item I send them the serial number to add to my account then I don’t need to provide proof of purchase.

This works well for me as some of my gear was bought used privately.

Appreciate this doesn’t help the o.p, I purposely chose this company for that reason even though they where a little bit more expensive.

I have contacted Digitall Rev and to my surprise they got back to me. They have told me that because the order is over a year old the records of it will have been deleted. Lens was bought January 2018.
That's outrageous.

Obviously not a UK company then! I would have thought the laws of Hong Kong would have required record keeping for a longer period than a year.

On my policy I have it listed at full UK retail price, at the time of adding it to the policy, but the price of that lens has shot up recently.

I bought for £299, insured for £450 the lens is now listed on WEX at £580 [emoji44]
Not really surprising though. They'd have to quote the full price which might get them into a bit of hot water if it's cross referenced with the import documentation!

So I have sent them a picture of the original box along with a picture of all the gear stolen. I took it to do one of those whats in my bag things.

I was under the impression businesses are legally required to keep records of transcations for six years, or something like that?

I was under the impression businesses are legally required to keep records of transcations for six years, or something like that?
Six years from the end of the financial period. Although I don't think they're obliged to provide a copy, but we always would, it takes seconds to email straight from the system...

Don't forget that DR are based in Hong Kong which may have a bearing on the retention of documents but I would have thought it would have been longer than a year.

Back