Larger link under each

1# 1/1600 sec @ f5.6 ISO640
IMG_4493s.jpg

http://www.lesmclean.co.uk/Mallards_flight_1_04_2010/IMG_4493.jpg

2# 1/1600 sec @ f5, ISO400
IMG_4504s.jpg

http://www.lesmclean.co.uk/Mallards_flight_1_04_2010/IMG_4504.jpg

both stunning but the second one is imo :1st:

No 2 for me also I love the way you ahve captured the water on the underside (y)

Two great shots there Les, agree with above No2 has the edge.

Failure is a privilege reserved only for those who try.

Both brilliant, but water droplets on no 2 swing it for me. Great capture:)

Have tried numerous occasions to do that shot but it has never worked. Great images

Intense shots, the colour tones and sharpness are outstanding.
Thanks for posting Les.

They are rather good Les, and even better at "larger" (y)

I have to say i prefer number 1, more colours on the head and wing make it preferable over the second.

Both amazing shots though :clap:

Probably two of the most stunning captures I have seen on TP Les :clap::clap::clap: Nothing more to add ;)

Both marvellous (y)(y)(y)(y)

Number 2 just edges it for me(y)(y)

Stunning work Les. Amazingly sharp.

Would love to also see one shot with the reflection in the water.

Brilliant shots in both senses :clap:
Really good evening? light in No2.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the encouraging feedback. :clap::clap:

To share how I managed these shots:

I'd been walking by the river earlier in the afternoon with the dogs, and it was obvious the hormones were rattling about with the male ducks, they were chasing female ducks all over the place, but I noticed that when the female(s) took off (with a couple of males in hot pursuit), often they were taking similar flight-paths, and landing in roughly the same place on the river.

So I went back later on the afternoon (when the sunlight was lower and better), hoping the males would be as frisky as earlier, luckily they were.

I set myself up next to the river, with the sun (and wind) behind me, the ducks would take off, occasionally loop over the river, and come into land at an angle in front of me, then curve round to land into the wind.

I was able to start tracking the duck as he started his descent, aiming to shoot him just before he slowed right down to curve in to land.

This way, I had the side of the duck lit from the low sun, the duck had slowed a bit so was easier to keep focus, and had the river as a backdrop.

Technically, I used a 200 mm F2.8L lens (which can autofocus lightning fast) with a 1.4 TC, I shot on a1 servo , with auto ISO, set the shutter to 1/1600 sec, aperture at F5.6 to give a bit of a safety net with DOF, and let the ISO take the strain, but as I knew the light was good I realised the ISO wouldn't be excessive. Exposure was evaluative as the light was fairly even across the frame.

Post processing -a minor crop, usual levels adjustment, USM etc, and in the first image had to clone a rather large poo the duck was engaged in while coming into land.

Back