Mallory Park - EMRA Buildbase Mallory Trophy R3

Name
Philip
Edit My Images
Yes
Earlier this week I went over to Mallory Park for a testing day to have a practice at motorsport photography. The reason for this was that some members of Leicester Photographers Club had organised to meet up and go to Mallory Park on a race day and we thought that it might be a good idea to have a bit of practice first.

So race day had arrived. The event on the website had a time of 8.00-17.00, however, it says this for all events, so I decided to get there at about 9am.

Upon arriving, it was instantly different to the general practice day. On Wednesday we parked just inside the park next to the pub, this time I drove right in and parked next to the start/finish line on the track. There were a few others that were meant to be going as well, but for many different reason there ended up being only 2 of us from the photography club there.

We started off having a wander round on the inside of the track and had to ask someone if they knew when the racing started. We were informed that the races would start at about 11.30, but there would be practice/qualifying starting any time soon.

None of us were quite sure exactly where you could get to around the circuit and what positions were best for photographs, so we tried to do a lap of the circuit and have a look for ourselves. We found that you can walk all the way around the outside and can even take your car around to most parts, so you could drive to the far side of the circuit and set up without having to carry any heavy gear around all the time, which may be a plan for next time.

About half way round the first lap of walking round, I noticed that the Moto-X track was being used and thought that when I get back round to it, I would go over there the try and get a few photos. I would probably say that the Moto-X interests me more than the motorbike racing as I have been trying to photograph something similar to it for a while (BMX/Skateboarding/etc) but just not had the chance or not put the effort in to get it sorted.

After photographing the Moto-X, and seeing the amount of dust and dirt that was being thrown up by the riders, we decided to go back over to the race track and see what else we could get. They were on a lunch break so we just walked around inside the circuit looking for a decent spot to take photos from when they came back out. We looked at the programme and found that there were something like 15 races in total, which is more than enough for me.

In the end, I left before it finished as I had taken too many photos already and was dreading sorting through them to find anything half decent. It was also a good decision for me as I didn't feel it at the time, but a few hours after I got home I could see and feel that the sun had got to me. It was deceptively sunny with the wind making it feel not too warm and the cloud covering the sun to make it seem less bright.

It was a very enjoyable day, and whenever I get to combine 2 subject that I enjoy, in this case photography and motorsport, I find that I have a good day. It was definitely better than the general testing day, and worth the extra £10 compared to Wednesday. I am already looking at what other events I will be able to get to when I am not working.

Mallory Park - EMRA Buildbase Mallory Trophy R3 by philipJvernon, on Flickr

Back