Mallory Park put into Administration

Very sad news indeed. Never taken photos there, but driven around the quite a few times in the past in a variety of cars on track days driver experience days.

How sad. Many great memories of Mallory, my dad took me there for my first bike meeting in 1964. Went there religiously for years after, saw all the greats of yesteryear, Hailwood, Agostini and all my other heroes. Hope they can find a way out.

My first track day was at Malory - rode my GSX-R600 up there, track day, and then rode home around 120 miles each way :LOL:

Was one of my favourite BSB tracks too.

very sad but from what I heard Mallory were constantly in breach of noise regulations established in 1985,however everyone turned a blind eye to it till "new" people moved in and started complaining, The final nail in the coffin was a drifting competition with excessive overnight noise from the campsite.

The optimist in me wants this to be a way of Mallory Park landowners from breaking free of a BARC lease and getting another promoter in instead, either MSV or running alone like Donington, Castle Combe or Rockingham.

Apparently the rent is £400,000 per year with another £90,000 Business rates so it would need a real financial wizard to make that pay within the restrictions of the 1985 enforcement order that restricts Mallory to 92 Noisy days / year. It has been the increase in money generating Track & race school days that has bust the limit plus some bad decisions on running a "turn up & ride " moto X circuit & the problems with spectators after the "Awesomefest" drift event.

Last edited:
As I said on ten tenths:

This is what happens when you get a- greedy and b- lose all common sense.

WHY? obvious, motocross on the hill above the circuit! I love motor sport but trying to watch / cover the track with the never ending high pitch whine of mx bikes actually had me wanting to call it a day.

A real shame as it's one of the great 'old' circuits and one of my favorites - but to honest - brought it on themselves - period.

.DAVID.

I'd say its got little to do with that specifically its just that any circuit these days isn't just about a dozen race meetings a year, but track days and testing all day everyday... it has to be like that not to be greedy, but to pay the flipping bills!

A handful of race meetings cannot support the business model for the rest of the year.

Which in this case exceeds the noise abatement order they had placed on them historically...

As I said on ten tenths: This is what happens when you get a- greedy and b- lose all common sense. WHY? obvious, motocross on the hill above the circuit! I love motor sport but trying to watch / cover the track with the never ending high pitch whine of mx bikes actually had me wanting to call it a day. A real shame as it's one of the great 'old' circuits and one of my favorites - but to honest - brought it on themselves - period. .DAVID.

Gotta be the first time I've heard someone complain they can't watch Motorsport because of the noise from Motorsport.

Gotta be the first time I've heard someone complain they can't watch Motorsport because of the noise from Motorsport.

Me to surely noise is part of the job when shoting motorsport.

The Moto X track was built to stage the world championship round a couple of years ago & then MPML decided to keep it in a shortened form & allowed people to just turn up any day of the week. The problem with Moto X noise is the constant change of pitch as the go over the jumps! The main issue with the Moto X track was its location - right on the hill near Barwell Lane & hence near the village.

Weekend Racing & the Wednesday practice day were the original Noisy days & would fit within the 85 restrictions. The growth of track days & the Chris Walker Race school fill the other days. The Cars & mainly bikes that attend these sessions apparently road legal can be noisier that "proper" race vehicles.

From the outside I have yet to understand why The Race school & the track days have been allowed to run so close to the 98 / 115dB limits when the restrictions existed. Surely there is scope to apply tighter limits to these activities.

I do not agree with these limits but they exist & if Mallory wants to emerge from this cockup then they will have to adapt in some way. Remember the Hinckley Council are embarrassed by an Ombudsman's report that criticizes them for not policing their own requirements laid down in 1985 they are keen to show that they could organise a P**** up in their new offices.

Last edited:
Gary, don't get me wrong - I have always loved motorsport but motocross 'ying, ying, yiiiiing, yiiiiiiiiiiiing' constantly in the background is worse than an irate mother in law on speed!

Yes I know mx is a motorsport but it's not what I go to Mallory for.

.DAVID.

Really hope they can find a way out of this... I have some fond memories of Mallory Park.

It's a complete mess and I really do hope that this isn't the end of the circuit.

I've only been there 2.5 times myself but every time I went it was awesome. My first time trackside was at Mallory :crying:

how do you go there 0.5 times, turn around halfway there? :LOL:

Not too far off :LOL:

I went for a sprint earlier this year and had intended to be there all day, but my mate who gave me a lift wanted to leave after a couple of hours as he only had slicks for his car, and it was snowing.

The question i always ask in these situations is," Why buy a house near a racing circuit, then complain about the noise ?".
Its not rocket science is it, racing cars are noisey. . . . .the same thing went on at croft, rediculous. .
Dave

There's a legal precedent regarding a man who moved to the country and complained about the farm next door's cockerel... With that established prior existence of the noise is subsequently open and shut legally

There's a legal precedent regarding a man who moved to the country and complained about the farm next door's cockerel... With that established prior existence of the noise is subsequently open and shut legally

Yes but in this case a 1985 ruling set the number of Noisy days at 92, because the council didn't police it the noisy days crept up to 165. I do not like nimbyism but the locals ( 2/3 of those who replied to the council) used this ruling as a lever to win the case.

Back