Mamiya 330 Vs RB 67

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
Yes
Your thoughts please for or against the Mamiya 330f Vs 67 pro.

They're too different to compare without being a bit more specific about what you want to shoot..:)

2 completely different ways of shooting I think. one is 6x6 and a TLR, the other is a 6x7 SLR. The 330 you can get away with carrying around for a long time (although it is still quite heavy) whereas the 67 you can't lug around for too much of a sustained period. Difficult to compare the two but both are fantastic for different types of photography.

Pros:
-Good for street photography
-Lighter
Cons:
-Older system
-TLRs can be difficult to compose close-up shots because of parallax error

67:
Pros:
-Bigger negative (though only just) and standard ratio
-Fantastic for landscape and studio photography
Cons:
-Weight

If you want to carry the camera around a lot and use it hand held the C330 is probably better. The 330's image quality isn't quite as good and for close up work you have to deal with the parallax issue, accessories are more linited.

If you are using a tripod the RB is the better bet, better lenses, bigger neg although can do square with different backs and has a much wider range of accessories.

Both great cameras and I've owned both. Biggest drawback for me for weddings was no mag backs with the Mamiya TLRs, which is where the RB scores hugely with the ability to carry pre loaded spare mags or swap film type on the fly. Also I don't get on too well with square format. The rotating back on the RB is just brilliant when changing from landscape to portrait and takes Polaroid backs, in short it's pretty well perfect and hugely versatile. You can even get a digi back for it if you have the wonga.

OK ... i'm biased. :D

Back