Mamiya 645

I've got the super that I also bought from ebay with the motor drive, metered prism, two backs and an 80mm for £120!

I really like it and I've just put the first film through it. Bought a dev tank, thermometer etc and the scanner is on order!

I really don't know what the difference between the models is but some lenses on ebay seem to be listed for the super and others for the pro, don't quote me on that but you may like to research it for yourself.

Good luck.

I dont think there is much difference besides age, I dont know a lot about cameras with 645 format.
645 pro is meant to be mechanically stronger than the super.
645 tl adds flash ttl metering.
I dont know whether all add-ons fit all models, but everything is available for all three.
Actually, the motor winder I had on a super, was from a pro, so maybe all the metered prizms/lenses/backs are interchangeable....but don't quote me:thinking:

theres a lot of not quotin me goin on:LOL:

I dont think there is much difference besides age, I dont know a lot about cameras with 645 format.
645 pro is meant to be mechanically stronger than the super.
645 tl adds flash ttl metering.
I dont know whether all add-ons fit all models, but everything is available for all three.
Actually, the motor winder I had on a super, was from a pro, so maybe all the metered prizms/lenses/backs are interchangeable....but don't quote me:thinking:

theres a lot of not quotin me goin on:LOL:

Thanks for the reply, I had read that the pro was a little stronger as the super was prone to wearing out with the motor drive.

What do you think to the price of that pro TL.
They seem to be a hell of a lot more expensive in the uk. It comes with a 120 back, metered prism, 80mm and the pro's winder. all for just under £300. Everything in the uk seems to be around £500 for the same equipment. It looks to be in immaculate coniditon as well

I've got the super that I also bought from ebay with the motor drive, metered prism, two backs and an 80mm for £120!

I really like it and I've just put the first film through it. Bought a dev tank, thermometer etc and the scanner is on order!

I really don't know what the difference between the models is but some lenses on ebay seem to be listed for the super and others for the pro, don't quote me on that but you may like to research it for yourself.

Good luck.
Seems like you got a good deal ali, the same package went for £230 this morning.

What scanner have you gone for?

Everything in the uk seems to be around £500 for the same equipment. It looks to be in immaculate coniditon as well

Yeah, all the UK stuff is overpriced compared with the US.
It sells at a premium because of the shipping, peeps dont want to wait 2 weeks for it not to turn up y'know.
Mine came from Hawaii:eek: at around £250, and the motorwinder...Chicago.
The motorwinder was cool, I tried it, liked it, but I don't think I'll bother with another, I can see the advantage in 35mm for framerate shooting, but M/F....I dunno, it does sounds sexy tho.:)

Yeah, all the UK stuff is overpriced compared with the US.
It sells at a premium because of the shipping, peeps dont want to wait 2 weeks for it not to turn up y'know.
Mine came from Hawaii:eek: at around £250, and the motorwinder...Chicago.
The motorwinder was cool, I tried it, liked it, but I don't think I'll bother with another, I can see the advantage in 35mm for framerate shooting, but M/F....I dunno, it does sounds sexy tho.:)
Do you know if you can pick up a 35mm back for it? Do all the mamiya 645 lenses work with the pro tl? Some state model others dont :confused:

I dont know about lenses, you'd have to research, ask me anything about Bronica..
35mm back....flippin why:LOL:
I dont think theres a back for 35mm, there may a mask to insert in the back that will crop your shots on 120 film to 35mm, the Mamiya 7 rangefinder has this.....its fairly high on the pointless scale.

I dont know about lenses, you'd have to research, ask me anything about Bronica..
35mm back....flippin why:LOL:
I dont think theres a back for 35mm, there may a mask to insert in the back that will crop your shots on 120 film to 35mm, the Mamiya 7 rangefinder has this.....its fairly high on the pointless scale.

Yeah that would seem a little stupid, I thought you could actually run 35mm negs through a special back though. I just thought it would be useful to use the same camera for both shots and get the benefit of its super sharp glass without having to purchase another 35mm body and lens

The only advantage I can see using 35mm film in an M/F camera, would be the ease at which you can get it developed, like asda or whatever.
If you just want a 35mm size neg, just shoot fullsize and crop it to 35mm, masks are pointless

The only advantage I can see using 35mm film in an M/F camera, would be the ease at which you can get it developed, like asda or whatever.
If you just want a 35mm size neg, just shoot fullsize and crop it to 35mm, masks are pointless
I think there is a back to allow actual 35mm to be ran through it though?

I was just looking at the 80mm lens description and it said the following:

Equivalent to 50mm in 35mm format.

Now I understand the whole 35mm - digital focul length conversions, but im a little confused by the above, this seems to be going the other way. I thought strapping an 80mm to a MF camera got you 80mm? Rather than say 120mm on a digital body, any ideas?

Its exactly the same as crop factor calcs.
They are just describing the angle of view, 80mm angle of view on M/F is the same as a 50mm lens on 35mm.
As 50mm is a "standard" lens on 35mm (neither wide angle nor telephoto), for it to look the same through the viewfinder, an M/F camera "standard" lens is 80mm.
50mm lens on M/F is a wide angle, but on a 35mm camera its a standard lens.
By the same token a 50mm on a digital crop body is slightly telephoto because the sensor is slightly smaller than 35mm film, in the same way M/F is a lot bigger than 35mm film.
Often peeps relate angles of view to what it actually looks like on a 35mm camera, since that is/was the most common format that peeps would be used to seeing.

I just read that through, I dont think I understood it:bonk:

your right when you say you think its going the other way, it is...when comparing other formats with a 35mm film frame.

Mamiya's are great cameras I have the 645 Pro with 80mm and 45mm wide lens and they are sharp as anything.
I found the 45mm the absolute bearable limit before barreling starts to be an issue.

Good thing about the 645 range is that the lenses are pretty much interchangeable, apart from the AF range, not sure but I guess you'd have to check.

Pro Motor winds are good, but really noisy, as I found out in a peaceful country church!!! I use a wind crank now more, saves on weight and batteries!!!

Metered prisms are fine but I still use a reliable light meter along side. With the benefit of hindsight, I'd have been better off with a waist level finder or unmetered prism. The TTL metering is convenient, but not always what I'm trying to achieve.

35mm backs are just a complete waste of time, you'd need a mask for the viewing screen too. With a decent dedicated 35mm range finder or slr you'd probably get as good a result without the weight.

Digital backs are available for the later AF model onwards. I believe some people have adapted 645 Pros to work with some digi backs but the expense and fiddling involved is really quite prohibitive to most of us.

Problem with most MF cameras is weight unless you are looking at the Fuji or Mamiya MF Rangefinders. Great for weddings/portraiture and product...but for landscape you've got to be built like a dockers crane to lug the kit and decent tripod across hill and dale; the most dramatic and more unique vistas are rarely close to a car park!!!

I also have a Yashica D 6x6 TLR medium format camera and both cameras come out intermittently for odd commissions and fun creative stuff. Great fun....enjoy

Seems like you got a good deal ali, the same package went for £230 this morning.

What scanner have you gone for?

I got a cracking deal on the camera! so I don't mind throwing it in a backpack and getting out and about with it. I've also just ordered a 150mm f1.8 for it so I can't wait to see what it does!

Scanner wise I've got the Canon 8800F which has a resolution of 4800 x 9600. Should just about do what I want it to. At least it will work with 120 film.

Now all I need is a bucket load of chemicals and a willing subject or two :woot:

Mamiya's are great cameras I have the 645 Pro with 80mm and 45mm wide lens and they are sharp as anything.
I found the 45mm the absolute bearable limit before barreling starts to be an issue.

Good thing about the 645 range is that the lenses are pretty much interchangeable, apart from the AF range, not sure but I guess you'd have to check.

Pro Motor winds are good, but really noisy, as I found out in a peaceful country church!!! I use a wind crank now more, saves on weight and batteries!!!

Metered prisms are fine but I still use a reliable light meter along side. With the benefit of hindsight, I'd have been better off with a waist level finder or unmetered prism. The TTL metering is convenient, but not always what I'm trying to achieve.

35mm backs are just a complete waste of time, you'd need a mask for the viewing screen too. With a decent dedicated 35mm range finder or slr you'd probably get as good a result without the weight.

Digital backs are available for the later AF model onwards. I believe some people have adapted 645 Pros to work with some digi backs but the expense and fiddling involved is really quite prohibitive to most of us.

Problem with most MF cameras is weight unless you are looking at the Fuji or Mamiya MF Rangefinders. Great for weddings/portraiture and product...but for landscape you've got to be built like a dockers crane to lug the kit and decent tripod across hill and dale; the most dramatic and more unique vistas are rarely close to a car park!!!

I also have a Yashica D 6x6 TLR medium format camera and both cameras come out intermittently for odd commissions and fun creative stuff. Great fun....enjoy
Thanks for the reply guy, I just purchased it from the US. Pro Tl with a 120 back and a polaroid back, also the pro winder and unmetered prism.

If the prism that comes with it doesnt have a meter does that mean im totally without a meter. What would you do here.. use a seperate light meter?

Thanks for your help

I got a cracking deal on the camera! so I don't mind throwing it in a backpack and getting out and about with it. I've also just ordered a 150mm f1.8 for it so I can't wait to see what it does!

Scanner wise I've got the Canon 8800F which has a resolution of 4800 x 9600. Should just about do what I want it to. At least it will work with 120 film.

Now all I need is a bucket load of chemicals and a willing subject or two :woot:
Thanks for that Ali. How many 120's can you scan at once? 4? or is it simply one neg at a time.
150mm f1.8, nice, what does that equate to, about 80, 90mm?

Its exactly the same as crop factor calcs.
They are just describing the angle of view, 80mm angle of view on M/F is the same as a 50mm lens on 35mm.
As 50mm is a "standard" lens on 35mm (neither wide angle nor telephoto), for it to look the same through the viewfinder, an M/F camera "standard" lens is 80mm.
50mm lens on M/F is a wide angle, but on a 35mm camera its a standard lens.
By the same token a 50mm on a digital crop body is slightly telephoto because the sensor is slightly smaller than 35mm film, in the same way M/F is a lot bigger than 35mm film.
Often peeps relate angles of view to what it actually looks like on a 35mm camera, since that is/was the most common format that peeps would be used to seeing.

I just read that through, I dont think I understood it:bonk:

your right when you say you think its going the other way, it is...when comparing other formats with a 35mm film frame.
Thanks for that Joxby, it makes sense now :)
So am I now right in thinking that the actual zoom isnt different, just the angle of view. ie an image taken with a 150mm on a 35mm cam compared to a mf cam, would show the subject at the same distance but would have less field of view?

Thanks for that Joxby, it makes sense now :)
So am I now right in thinking that the actual zoom isnt different, just the angle of view. ie an image taken with a 150mm on a 35mm cam compared to a mf cam, would show the subject at the same distance but would have less field of view?

Its the difference in the size of the sensor that alters what is seen through the viewfinder.
150mm m/f lens on an m/f camera will not look as long (telephoto) as a 150mm 35mm lens on a 35mm camera.
I think where your going with this is, how do you know how long say a 150mm lens is on M/F.
Well, I'm crap at maths so I'm just gonna guestimate.
If mf80 = 35mm50
Then mf150 = 35mm80 or there abouts
I dont think its quite as simple as that but the fact is you lose length in the telephotos, but gain it at the other end with wide angles when comparing with 35mm.
This will only help you if you are familiar with a 35mm view, if your used to digital, thats different again because its smaller than 35mm film....mostly..:)

Thanks for that Ali. How many 120's can you scan at once? 4? or is it simply one neg at a time.
150mm f1.8, nice, what does that equate to, about 80, 90mm?

I think it should give me roughly 100mm so should be ideal for portraits, I don't really want to be getting in someones face with the 80mm. :puke:

The canon will do a filmstrip 6x22mm so 4 at a time should not be a problem. Now all I need to do is get out and USE IT! lol

Its the difference in the size of the sensor that alters what is seen through the viewfinder.
150mm m/f lens on an m/f camera will not look as long (telephoto) as a 150mm 35mm lens on a 35mm camera.
I think where your going with this is, how do you know how long say a 150mm lens is on M/F.
Well, I'm crap at maths so I'm just gonna guestimate.
If mf80 = 35mm50
Then mf150 = 35mm80 or there abouts
I dont think its quite as simple as that but the fact is you lose length in the telephotos, but gain it at the other end with wide angles when comparing with 35mm.
This will only help you if you are familiar with a 35mm view, if your used to digital, thats different again because its smaller than 35mm film....mostly..:)
Right im with you now :) Thanks for that.
Does the pro tl have a meter at all? Or would I need the ae prism finder? If it doesnt then how do you measure your exposures, would you use a seperate light meter?

Also do you know anything about the polaroid back, does it take 669 polaroids? I hope so as these can do both lifts and transfers!

I would have thought the pro tl would come with an AE finder, how ttl flash metering fits into that I dont know.
I'd be fairly upset if I needed a seperate meter after shelling out for a pro tl.
M/F polaroids are pretty standard, I dunno about 669 polaroids, I've never used polaroid polaroids, I use Fuji FP100C.

Just to back up AliB with the distance for portraits, this is puddle on 6x6 @ 75mm, I was barely 2ft away, its definately "in your face" portraiture.

voby38.jpg

I would have thought the pro tl would come with an AE finder, how ttl flash metering fits into that I dont know.
I'd be fairly upset if I needed a seperate meter after shelling out for a pro tl.
M/F polaroids are pretty standard, I dunno about 669 polaroids, I've never used polaroid polaroids, I use Fuji FP100C.

Just to back up AliB with the distance for portraits, this is puddle on 6x6 @ 75mm, I was barely 2ft away, its definately "in your face" portraiture.

voby38.jpg

He just told me it came with a non metered finder :( Does that mean im either going to have to get a seperate meter or find an ae finder?

Can you use any polaroid/instant film in the polaroid back? I was told it was only 669 :confused:

Pic looks great, have you got any more samples from the 645?

He just told me it came with a non metered finder :( Does that mean im either going to have to get a seperate meter or find an ae finder?

Can you use any polaroid/instant film in the polaroid back? I was told it was only 669 :confused:

Pic looks great, have you got any more samples from the 645?

I dont know enough about Mamiyas 645 stuff, I shot maybe 3 rolls with the super, realised it wasn't doing it for me (the format that is) and sold it.
I bought it because it was AE, if I was buying another I'd want AE, I allready have a big stupid all manual thing.

Fuji will make instant film for a mamiya 645 I'm sure, its FP100C but you need to check.

puddle is on 6x6 not 645, heres a couple from 645, 45mm lens, god knows what film, the scans are crap though.

344pr37.jpg

zsnuhh.jpg

I dont know enough about Mamiyas 645 stuff, I shot maybe 3 rolls with the super, realised it wasn't doing it for me (the format that is) and sold it...QUOTE]
Ah right, thanks for those. So you dont ave a 645 anymore then?
I didnt realise there were other instant films than polaroid. Does this mean all of these are still available even though polaroid is no more?

No 645 anymore.
I started my m/f fetish on 6x6, then I gave 645 a try, but I just didn't like it, oblong seems....in-complete...cropped, its not just 645, I feel the same about digital.
Bet if I'd started on 645, I'd still be using it.
Fuji don't plan as far as I know, on stopping production of their instant film, even more reason not to now since polaroid chucked it I suppose.
Had a pack in the fridge till steveinspain pinched it for his RZ:D

No 645 anymore.
I started my m/f fetish on 6x6, then I gave 645 a try, but I just didn't like it, oblong seems....in-complete...cropped, its not just 645, I feel the same about digital.
Bet if I'd started on 645, I'd still be using it.
Fuji don't plan as far as I know, on stopping production of their instant film, even more reason not to now since polaroid chucked it I suppose.
Had a pack in the fridge till steveinspain pinched it for his RZ:D
I had a yashica 124G which was 6x6, very nice indeed, but it was falling to bits.

Just a quick question, with the pro tl model having TTL do this mean any flash will work with the TTL or do are they only compat with specific strobes? I have an SB600, just wondering if I could make use of it

Back