Mamiya RB67 film winder stuck!

Name
Matt Beech
Edit My Images
Yes
I rented the RB67 from my college. I was 99% sure on how to put the film in but I watched a video on youtube to be sure. When I went to shoot, the first frame was fine, i wound on the film and cocked the shutter. I shot the 2nd shot, cocked the shutter and then it wouldnt let me wind on the film. I tried it with and without the dark slide in and it really won't move. I thought i'd maybe a mistake putting the film in so i wasted a whole roll by just taking it out. I put in another one, (i'm pretty sure i did it correctly) and started to shoot again, however once i'd shot the 2nd frame it did the exact same thing and the film wind on lever got stuck! I really need to use this camera tomorrow night, can anyone give me assistance in fixing this.

Thanks in advance, Matt

After taking a picture you have to flip a little tab on the back before advancing the film aside from cocking the camera body.

Matt I have a 67 although I have not had this problem I have tried to work out yours.
IF the film loaded correctly.
With no film loaded can you cock and fire series without problem.?
Useing just film holder does the film wind OK.?
Otherwise I'm stuck for idea's but I am sure some member can help.
Good luck let us know how you get on.

After taking a picture you have to flip a little tab on the back before advancing the film aside from cocking the camera body.

Where do you mean? I've had a play about trying to get it to allow me to wind it on. When i push the little tab up next to the film winder and the red dot shows and i shoot away it lets me sometimes but other times it doesnt. It's being very odd. When the shutter is pressed should the number in on the back not get a little red square over it? Mine doesnt.

There's a little lever under the winder lever which has to be pushed forward so that the red dot shows. If the red dot isn't showing and the dark slide is still in, the shutter wont fire.

If the shutter is firing though, it does sound like a problem with the mag back.

Are the two S Locks holding the film back on the camera fully over to the right at the top and bottom of the mag?

Film loading instructions HERE

Is there any way you can get hold of another film back to eliminate that possibility?

We really need to know if the camera is the Pro - Pro S or Pro SD model. The Pro SD had a completely redesigned back.

It's being very odd. When the shutter is pressed should the number in on the back not get a little red square over it? Mine doesnt.

When you first load the film you should have the letter 'S' showing in that little window. The S is replaced by the No1 when you wind on to the first frame and so on.

If i rotate that film back to portrait orentation it works fine, it is just when its landscape that it doesnt work!

There's a lot of interlocking little safety devices on the RB67. Try putting in the dark slide, removing the back, and then refit it making sure it's properly seated and the two S locks are fully home to the right.

Where do you mean? I've had a play about trying to get it to allow me to wind it on. When i push the little tab up next to the film winder and the red dot shows and i shoot away it lets me sometimes but other times it doesnt. It's being very odd. When the shutter is pressed should the number in on the back not get a little red square over it? Mine doesnt.
Try here

http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00QPM9

The problem there is the guy is using an RB67 back on an old Crown camera, so it's a bit Heath Robinson.

Yes, but the images show the back attached to an RB and were only to show mattt where to look. Strange how it works fine in portrait orientation?

Yes, but the images show the back attached to an RB and were only to show mattt where to look. Strange how it works fine in portrait orientation?

LOL It is! My revolving back occasionally sticks in the portrait position and wont go back unless I tip the camera lens down, then it goes back just fine.

That little tab in the recess at the top centre of the film back btw, just releases the film spool so that you can completely rewind a film before the end of the roll if you want to. You don't need to touch it all in normal usage.

Back