Mamiya RB67 Pro S - light baffle problem

Edit My Images
No
I've recently purchased a Mamiya RB67 Pro S from a second-hand camera dealer and I've run into a problem. After shooting a roll this afternoon to test the camera I received back from Jessops a blank roll of film.

With the back on, but with the film holder out and the back open I can watch the inner workings. The light baffle is failing to rise on some occasions and on others is rising after the shutter has gone (using a slow shutter speed and pointing the camera at a bright light I don't see the a flash of light through the back).

Before I return this camera to the dealer I need a quick idea on whether it's something I am doing rather than a problem. Is there anything I could have done (or failed to do) that would cause this problem. I've checked the user manual and the service manual online and I can't find this described as a symptom.

Thanks for reading..

Something is out of sync, as I can't think of a reason why anyone would NOT want light (from the lens) to reach the film after pressing the shutter button.

Last edited:
Bugger! I don't think it can possibly be anything other than a problem with the camera Alastair - the mirror and baffle operation are totally automated - both go up together when you press the shutter and both come back down again when you wind on.

Doesn't sound good tbh, although if it's been unused for a long time, giving the shutter and cocking mechanism a good work out wont to it any harm and might free things up.

Annoying mate - I know you were looking forward to getting this camera.

The only thing I can think of is that you shouldn't really remove the lens unless the shutter is cocked - or fit the lens unless the shutter is cocked. There is actually a facility on the back of the lens to cock the shutter manually if need be.Try making sure that's all set up properly Alastair. Also just try with the switch on the lens in both the 'mirror up' and 'normal 'positions.

Finally, I'd try firing with the lens removed in case it's a problem between the lens and body. Make sure the 'S' locks holding the back on are slid all the way home when you fit the back.

Tried a number of combinations, and picked up another fault :(

I've removed and replaced the lens several times. Manually cocked and uncocked the lens. And carried out tests with a variety of back on/off, lens on/off combinations.

Light baffle - will lift several times on the trot and then go "sticky" and fail to lift, or lift after a significant delay. This happens whether the lens is attached or not.

Lens shutter - I'm not convinced the shutter is opening, I've gone into M-Up and tried T to allow for a slow baffle but I can't get the shutter to go into the "open" phase for shooting. It cocks and opens to allow view for composing, and it closes on the shutter button. But I can't see it opening for the shot. in M-Up using a cable release has no effect.

Sounds like a crock. Unfortunately I didn't research the dealer as well as I should have. I've found he has a "reputation". Fortunately it is a dealer selling through a website (not Ebay) so DSR apply, email sent and a dispute opened with Paypal.

Thanks CT, I had found a couple of similar postings. Even without the lens attached the baffle is sticking. Anyway, I'll wait for the seller to make contact in the morning.

Good news on the bad news.. the seller has accepted the claim on Paypal, so it's back for a refund. I'll be out on the return shipping.. shouldn't be, but Paypal dispute centre doesn't seem to have the facility for returning faulty goods at the sellers expense under the Distance Selling Regs.

So.. if anyone comes across a Mamiya RB67 Pro S in working condition for a reasonable price.. give me a shout..

HMM not sure what a 'resonable price' is :) but apart from EBay, mind you the prices on there seem to be going slowly up, there is ffordes have a couple in and I bet Mifsuds down in Devon have a couple as well. Good shops so anything used will have a warrenty with them.

I just got a P67 from ffordes well pleased with it.

Well I've no idea of the latest going price of the RB67s, but recently (might have be on gumtree) there was just the basic RB67 box for £25 (erm handy for some), but ATM only one for £350 in London area, but you can always make an offer.

http://www.gumtree.com/london/98/71219198.html

Well I've no idea of the latest going price of the RB67s, but recently (might have be on gumtree) there was just the basic RB67 box for £25 (erm handy for some), but ATM only one for £350 in London area, but you can always make an offer.

http://www.gumtree.com/london/98/71219198.html

I think around £350 is a pretty fair price for a nice complete one tbh. A lot of these RBs are looking really shot at now and may have been professionally hammered for many years. If I'm buying off ebay, I wont touch anything that doesn't have good quality photos of the item - preferably taken from all angles - and I always buy privately if possible. Some of the oof images you see of expensive kit is highly suspect to say the least, especially when the seller is purporting to be a retiring pro!

There's a pretty nice complete one for good money HERE

It's a dealer but the photos are good and the camera looks very tidy. Also the seller is saying it will be completely resealed prior to posting, so saving a bit of potential hassle in getting that done.

That one does look good CT, and the seller's feedback looks good. I'll definitely consider that one.

I think I'll give gumtree a miss.

If I was in the market I'd pretty happily go for that one Alastair. The other option of course is you could get the body and other bits separately - one of the advantages of the RB67 being so modular. The only problem with that route though is that while you could be choosey about the bits you're buying you wont really know if all is well until it's complete and all working.

The duffer is packed up and ready to go back. The Paypal dispute process seems to be very efficient so far.

I'll maybe contact the other seller and say that I'm interested but waiting on the refund on the crock to clear. If I can get a day free it's possibly within pick-up range as well, although it's debatable these days if the mileage is really cheaper then the postage.

I've priced up a few complete packages and making one up from components. Even allowing for the fact I already have the back (thanks!) I couldn't get a body, lens and viewfinder down to that price. I see he also has one of the later onse with the 6x8 baffle as well (incidentally, I think the crock also had the 6x8 baffle).

Back