Mamiya RZ/RB67 and Hyperfocal Focusing

Name
Nick (yes there is more than one of us)
Edit My Images
Yes
I know there are a couple of people with this kind of kit on here so thought I would ask.

As the Maiya 67's use bellows to focus how can you set or is it easy to set the Hyperfocal Focusing point point on the Mamiya lens?

I have has a look through some instruction manuals but all it seems to point to is "this is what should be in focus" when twiddling the blue numbers band around the lens.

I use hyperfocal alot on the Broinca and Fuji and seeing as Mamiyas are becoming cheap I am think of getting one or a P67 :D

Yes,there's a plate which extends with the bellows to give a reading of the distance at which you've focused, with curves which are colour coded to each of the available Mamiya lenses.It has nothing to do with DOF though which is shown in the usual way by a DOF scale on the lens itself. It's main purpose is to show the degree of exposure compensation with various lenses at a given amount of bellows extension (Inverse Square Law applying). In practice this is a non issue unless you're working at extreme close up or macro distances

The thing to uinderstand is that some lenses like the 90mm standard lens focus completely with the bellows movement.There is no focus adjustment on the lens itself, but it does have an adjustable scale ring to work out the DOF from the distance at which you've focused, but there's no mechanical connection within the lens - it's just a DOF guide.

Other lenses like the 50mm wide angle do have a focusing ring on the lens, but the main focusing is still done first with the bellows. You then focus the focusing ring on the lens to match the distance at which you've focused with the bellows. The focusing ring on these lenses just controls a floating element within the lens, which if it isn't set properly is likely to result in an image not properly sharp across the whole width of the image. If you look at the focusing screen while you're turning this ring you wont see any change in focus at all but it's crucial that it's set properly. Not understanding the function of the secondary focusing with these lenses is largely reponsible for some of these lenes getting a bad rep

Used for normal landscape or portrait photography bellows extension will be negligible with no exposure comp being needed.

5240879494_2a1104e3e3_o.jpg

This plate is common to all models of the RB67 and RZ67

Personally, I'd give the RZ67 a miss, while it does have some convenient features, you're also buying into battery dependency and comparitively light plastic construction compared to the eariler RB bodies which are built like tanks and pretty well bullet proof.

My choice would be the RB67 Pros S (which I have) or the Pro SD which was the last of the RB series and which gained a new lens mount and a couple of new lenses as well as a redesigned mag back.

Last edited:
I have has a look through some instruction manuals but all it seems to point to is "this is what should be in focus" when twiddling the blue numbers band around the lens.
:D

If it has a blue ring around the lens, it points to it being one of the newer 'K Series' lenses bought out to fit the new lens mount on the RZ67. I'm pretty sure without looking it up right now that K Series lenses can still be fitted to eariler RBs with an adapter, as can the newer design of mag back.

Thanks for the info CT (y), it has made things a little clearer.

I undestand what your saying about the RB Vs RZ but I am not bothered about battery issues as nearly all my cameras have batteries.

The look and feel of the RZ does seem to wrankle some people, bit like the Nikon F4 and its 'plastic' feel, but again this is not a bother to me and I like the idea of it being a little lighter than the RB. I also like the idea of the wind on and cocking of the shutter to be on one lever.

And at the end of the day they are both very capable machines and I dought very much if I would break either of them :D

Thanks for the info CT (y), it has made things a little clearer.

I undestand what your saying about the RB Vs RZ but I am not bothered about battery issues as nearly all my cameras have batteries.

The look and feel of the RZ does seem to wrankle some people, bit like the Nikon F4 and its 'plastic' feel, but again this is not a bother to me and I like the idea of it being a little lighter than the RB. I also like the idea of the wind on and cocking of the shutter to be on one lever.

And at the end of the day they are both very capable machines and I dought very much if I would break either of them :D

Fair comment, and some of the electrical functions will be more than welcome in the real world.I think you can actually add a metered prism to the RZ which gives aperture priority exposure which I would find handy at times. I'm probably full of it anyway, as I have a similar prism on the 'blad. :D

I know there are a couple of people with this kind of kit on here so thought I would ask.

As the Maiya 67's use bellows to focus how can you set or is it easy to set the Hyperfocal Focusing point point on the Mamiya lens?

I use hyperfocal alot on the Broinca and Fuji and seeing as Mamiyas are becoming cheap I am think of getting one or a P67 :D

Can't you use the DOF set out in the booklet for 67 lenses..e.g. you want the maximum DOF for landscape with reasonable aperture/shutter speed/with slow film, for an English summer? So from the booklet:- using a 65mm lens set at F11, focussed at something 5 metres away and you will get from 2.41m-infinity.

For 180mm lens:- f11, focussed at something 30m away and you will get 16m to infinity.

Last edited:
Can't you use the DOF set out in the booklet for 67 lenses..e.g. you want the maximum DOF for landscape with reasonable aperture/shutter speed/with slow film, for an English summer? So from the booklet:- using a 65mm lens set at F11, focussed at something 5 metres away and you will get from 2.41m-infinity.

For 180mm lens:- f11, focussed at something 30m away and you will get 16m to infinity.

I don't know to be honest.:thinking:

I have just had a quick mooch around and I suppose the issue could be getting manuals for the individual lens with the DOF data supplied.

I had a look at one website that has stacks of manuals for cameras and bits but could not see any tables for the Mamiya lens.

I don't know to be honest.:thinking:

I have just had a quick mooch around and I suppose the issue could be getting manuals for the individual lens with the DOF data supplied.

I had a look at one website that has stacks of manuals for cameras and bits but could not see any tables for the Mamiya lens.

Well I can scan the data for you...just let me know what lens you have (y)

Ok thanks (y)

(Mind you I haven't bought one just yet :) )

Well for groups and portraits the 65mm and 180mm are VG...my RB has mainly been an indoor camera, but recently found it's not too heavy in a backpack to cycle to take some landscape shots.

Knikki, dont know what part of deepest darkest Cheshire you are at, but if you want a play with a RZ67, shoot a roll of film etc, just let me know. I'm sure we can organise somthing, I'm still learning mine.

Mart

RB67 ProS Manual PDF

RZ67 Manual PDF

For siome strange reason the RB67 manual has DOF scales for all available lenses while the RZ manual has none, but you can check the RB scales in the 2nd part of the PDF manual.

Knikki, dont know what part of deepest darkest Cheshire you are at, but if you want a play with a RZ67, shoot a roll of film etc, just let me know. I'm sure we can organise somthing, I'm still learning mine.

Mart

Cheers Mart if I don't go mad inthe next few weeks and get a 6x7 machine I may take you up on the offer :D
(There is a Pentax 67 with a pile of kit on Flea Bay for £300 and no one has bid on it yet)

For siome strange reason the RB67 manual has DOF scales for all available lenses while the RZ manual has none, but you can check the RB scales in the 2nd part of the PDF manual.

Thanks CT it was the RZ Pro II manual I was looking at, but it seems odd to have the tables listed for one series and not the other :shrug:

Back