Mamiya RZ67 Pro I sync speed

Name
Joe porritt
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I’ve been experimenting with flash recently with my Mamiya RZ67 Pro i and seem to be having problems achieving sync speeds higher than 1/60 second. Everything I’ve read online states that this camera is able to sync up to its maximum speed of 1/400s?? I’ve tried many techniques but nothing seems to be working. My current set up consists of a wireless Elinchrom transmitter connected to the hot shoe with an added cable running from the transmitter to the lens. I’ve even tried shooting on the mirror up setting with a trigger cable connected directly to the leaf shutter lens but the result are the same??

is it possible that this being the first model of the RZ67 means it maxes out at 1/60??

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

I’ve been experimenting with flash recently with my Mamiya RZ67 Pro i and seem to be having problems achieving sync speeds higher than 1/60 second. Everything I’ve read online states that this camera is able to sync up to its maximum speed of 1/400s?? I’ve tried many techniques but nothing seems to be working. My current set up consists of a wireless Elinchrom transmitter connected to the hot shoe with an added cable running from the transmitter to the lens. I’ve even tried shooting on the mirror up setting with a trigger cable connected directly to the leaf shutter lens but the result are the same??

is it possible that this being the first model of the RZ67 means it maxes out at 1/60??

any help would be greatly appreciated!

It should sync at all speeds. Does the flash fire, or not at all? If the former, it could be any delay introduced by the Elinchrom transmitter but a hard-wire connection from the lens to the flash should eliminate that. Have you tried a speedlight directly in the hot-shoe?

Suggest reposting in the Film section. It's an old camera and stickyness in the mechanicals could be a service issue.

I don't have the RZ, but the RB has a switch on the lens (M-X) that you need to set to X for electronic flash to get 1/400sec sync with strobes. Is there something similar on the RZ?

On the RB, flash sync is a function of the lens and not the camera. Do you have another lens to test with?

There should be no fuss with switches on an RZ, it should sync at any speed. As Harlequin asks, do you have any other lenses you can try? You can use RZ or RB lenses, but with RB lenses you can only use the lens sync connector. The hotshoe connection should work for RZ lenses.

The M-X switch dates back to when flash bulbs were still used for lighting very large jobs (GE used to have an advert showing a railway trestle bridge being lit with hundreds of flash bulbs, etc the size of an old style lightbulb!) M introduced a delay in the shutter firing to allow bulbs to reach peak illumination, X was for flash. RB/RZ lenses are all leaf shutter so should sync at any shutter speed, of its faulty it probably won’t sync at any speed except very slow ones.

Back