Man enough for Lightroom/Photoshop??

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys wondering if you can help me, i`m currently using a laptop which has Intel Core I3-2328M @ 2.33GHz, 6GB Ram

and am finding it a bit of struggle with lightroom 5 sometimes, it occasionally just seem to be forever loading images etc, export pictures is slow.

now been looking at this, and although i`m not that tech savvy, how much difference would it be compared to my system now and would it be good enough for lightroom and photoshop?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...50-b-15n-15-6-laptop-silver-10108635-pdt.html

many thanks in advance.

The processor you have installed has a bad rep for being a bit pants and under powered.

What sort of hard drive do you currently have installed?

Also what OS do you currently have on your laptop?

Having just come from a i3 laptop as my i5 machine gave up, I have very recently gone to the dark side and got a MacBook Pro, and wow what an improvement wish I had done it years ago, currently on a standard hdd and only 4gb ram it's still very quick for my needs.

The processor you have installed has a bad rep for being a bit pants and under powered.

What sort of hard drive do you currently have installed?

Also what OS do you currently have on your laptop?

Its a samsung laptop so not sure what hard drive is in there prob something like a 5200rpm i expect., currently running windows 10.

a macbook pro would be perfect i reckon but think i would struggle with a 13" screen, and think the 15" screen is mega bucks!
But seriously are most macbook owners echoing james2013 comments above, are they way better than their pc`s for processing etc???

But seriously are most macbook owners echoing james2013 comments above, are they way better than their pc`s for processing etc???

They probably are echoing it but the reality is they are pretty much the same apart from the added expense of the apple logo.

Your processor is very underpowered for photo editing and an upgrade to an i5 or i7 (PC or MAC, makes no difference) would do wonders for you.

I suspect it's the whole machine that's slowing things down. I have a 2009 MacBook Pro ( with Core 2 processor ) and whilst it would handle files from my 5Dmk1,fairly well, once I went to 20+Mb files it was a bit sluggish. I agree a modern MBP ( I have one) is much faster, but then with all solid state memory and drives you'd expect that. I'd opt for an i5 based machine, either PC or Mac. 8Gb of RAM minimum, and a decent sized hard drive. I wouldn't go mad on the size of the hard drive as with USB 3 external drives will be fast enough if you need more storage. Yes an SSD would be great, if you can justify the cost. If you want to go down the Mac route, and want to save a bob or two, have a look on the Apple refurb site. Also if you can wait a couple of months, rumors are that a new range of MBP will be announced in October. This means that there could be a wider choice in the refurb store as current models are replaced with the latest models

They probably are echoing it but the reality is they are pretty much the same apart from the added expense of the apple logo.

Your processor is very underpowered for photo editing and an upgrade to an i5 or i7 (PC or MAC, makes no difference) would do wonders for you.

Agreed.

For a laptop I'd consider a Core i7, since they're clocked down so they don't melt a hole through the machine. But for desktop, a decent Core i5 has more than enough grunt.

As said already, the OS and name on the outside won't make any difference - it's the processor, storage speed and memory speed that will be most important, probably in that order. Moving from a Macbook with core 2 duo processor to a Dell laptop with i7 processor made an enormous difference handling 20MP RAW files, as one would expect.

If you go onto task manager and look on the process/performance tabs when doing what ever makes the laptop slow and see whats at 100%, I have an i5 3230M laptop(i think) it had a 5400rpm hard drive and that was maxxing out everytime an image was rendering. I have installed an ssd and now it runs much smoother.

Back