Matt Thomas
Edit My Images
No
Photo from tonight for my college work.

2418853663_1b2f87c5f7.jpg

Flickr Link

Comments please guys

i like the way the wood has been lit up
in my opinion, i am not sure if it goes well with the red sunset... but thats just me
:)
and maybe edit out the tree branch top left hand corner?

Well I'm not sure I agree but I think you've mostly nailed the shot. The message is strong and the shot works as an image too.

The only snag for me is the branch sneaking in to the top left corner. Obviously it's a seconds work to remove if you were that way inclined. In this case I would probably do so. As an assignment, it's about the destination more than the journey.

I agree with dazzajl that brach is a little distracting, I feel its a good one for your local council to see, perhaps that may want to place it in there next mag.
Nice capture..

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. The branch is there and sort of puts the image into context. I get the impression this isn't about taking "good" photos, but about interpreting the theme / task. In answering the brief you were set, I think you've done a good job. In fact, if you've got a wider crop that shows more of the woods / trees then that might make more of a statement about man v nature.

I can see where MV is coming from however as it is shown here it impedes rather than interprets the scene so I would consider cloning out.

Good work elsewhere and should meet the brief.

not keen myself. i see the idea, but personally think the rubbish in the foreground is too bright and white for the photo

not keen myself. i see the idea, but personally think the rubbish in the foreground is too bright and white for the photo

Thats what someone else on another fourm. I see what your saying thou.

The reason why it is quite bright is so that your eyes are drawn to the eye sore of the ruined building/dumped rubbish. Then after you have seen that your eyes are led up to the plyon because of the strong formal element of line. After you have looked at the smaller parts of the photo it all links in.

Well thats what I was trying to do :(

The relationship between the pylon and monitors works in the context of the brief. The colours are fine, I just don't think it's completely nailed, the branch doesn't detract too much for me either. Overall I like this. What would I do differently? Probably place more of an emphasis on the monitors, i.e Get a little closer, with a more vertical view.

I'm more intrigued by what the photo means for the title - in what way is man destroying anything about the landscape? Does a landscape stop being a landscape just because of a pylon and old building in bits?

It's not even correct to say we're destroying the 'natural landscape' by putting pylons up - my understanding is that over a period of many thousands of years we pretty much 'destroyed' the UK's natural woodland, so what we have all around us now is not truly 'natural'

Perhaps a more appropriate title would reflect man's ability to change the landscape and not necessarily for any obvious benefit? (though there are underlying benefits even in pylons and broken houses)

Bit too deep for a Sat morning?

:LOL:

DD

But if you picture what the landscape would have looked like before the pylon was there and it was just the sunset in the trees, how would of that looked? It would of looked like quite a nice picture with a warm rich sunset and a black foreground of the trees.

However the image is ruined by having a massive pylon as well as the old building which has been knocked down. You can't say that the picture is showing the landscape in a nice light thou can you. Think if that was your view out your back window, you would class it as an eye sore and that in your eyes the landscape is destroyed as before nothing was there a part from trees.

But if you picture what the landscape would have looked like before the pylon was there and it was just the sunset in the trees, how would of that looked? It would of looked like quite a nice picture with a warm rich sunset and a black foreground of the trees.

However the image is ruined by having a massive pylon as well as the old building which has been knocked down. You can't say that the picture is showing the landscape in a nice light thou can you. Think if that was your view out your back window, you would class it as an eye sore and that in your eyes the landscape is destroyed as before nothing was there a part from trees.

Sorry, but I disagree

Yes the view would have been altered, and in most people's eyes any pleasant view would have been destroyed. But it'd still be a Landscape, just more of an urban one. My point is not with the photo but the subject title... you can't destroy a landscape, hence the subject title is at fault

DD

So say if you build a power plant on some land which was before a nice woodland which was the habit for many wildlife...you saying that the landscape has not been destroyed, just developed into more urban?

So say if you build a power plant on some land which was before a nice woodland which was the habit for many wildlife...you saying that the landscape has not been destroyed, just developed into more urban?

Exactly, everything around us is 'Landscape' whether it be untouched by human hand (so not in Britain sadly) or the centre of a city, it's all landscape

Changing a beautiful spot into a power station is only a change within the landscape, you have not destroyed the landscape - it's still there, just looks different

I agree you may have destroyed the view, the woodland, the habitat, the moor, whatever... but not the landscape itself

DD

But did mother nature create a landscape which had been touched by man???

No she didn't. Man has came and played around with what she had created. By doing this man has ruined the natural untouched landscape. Which is the truth thou.

I know there are different types of landscapes but I was on about the natural landscape!

Interesting - but if you know your geological history - you'll also know Mother Nature has destroyed it more often and in far more ways than man ever will

Not sure we're getting each other's point though

I say we drop this one until we meet in a pub !!!

Cheers

DD

Back