Manage to catch the reds fly by today! Unexpected!

Name
Andy Gilbert
Edit My Images
Yes
Was sat in my office when i felt everything shaking and beautiful noise of what i suddenly realised would be the red arrows doing a fly by for chatsworth this afternoon! I work in bakewell so right next door! As i heard the lovely rumble fade away i turned and looked at my camera bag wishing i was out in the carpark.... When i heard it again! This time i grabbed the camera bag and ran out side....but they had gone again, kicking my self....

I then spotted them reforming once again and heading my way, reliasing i had only a few seconds to get lens on, turn it on and set it to somthing good enough catch them, knowing i was doing sunsets last nite.

Anyways, managed to get a few this one standing out the most, not great but my first picture of the reds so quite happy! :)

Taken using my 350d and 55-250. Quick sharpen and color adjustments and im pleased overall! :) Shame its the underneath and sun wasnt my friend!

redarrows.jpg

Last edited:
wow very nice, class blues with the reds and white smoke...
the portrush air show in northern ireland is on this weekend, cant wait to go, but iv never tried to capture planes before, please could you give me some advice
how did you capture that photograph?
what shutter speed?
F/ number
what lens
i have a nikon d40 with kit lens 18-55 and a sigma 70-300,
should that be ample?
thanks

Hi Nigel

There are some goods posts on here with regards to technique at airshows but basically:

Fast Jets
Shutter Speed 1/1000 - 1/1250 sec

Prop Planes
Shutter Speed around 1/250 sec to get some prop blur.

ISO whatever is needed to get something around F/8

There are a lot of aviation shots in my Flickr link that will give you an idea, but I am sure someone with much more experience will be along soon.

Last edited:
I would be WELL chuffed to get a shot as brilliant as that with such little time to think about it. Like it a lot, nice one! (y)

Well done. I'll be pleased if I do anything as good at Portrush tomorrow.

Cracking shot, esp as it sounds like it was a very quick (and lucky) capture :clap:

I've tried several times when I'm at work in Settle (Yorkshire) to catch the Tornado's that come over low, but because of the valley it's in, by the time you hear them, you've missed them. So all you see is this fellow running outside like a lunny for nothing :LOL::LOL:

Wow. More than good for a spur of the moment shot. I envy your location too, lovely part of the world.

Was at Portrush today for the airshow.

Heavy rain and very grey sky :(

So bad, the red arrows only flew for about 10 minutes and cut their show short :shake:

Really envious of your shot.

Great image, planes are pin sharp and colours are so vibrant, well done

Back