Manchester @ Night

I like the first one. The crop on the second one does not really give it any context.

Cheers guys.

I did actually do some rotation on the first to start with, but I think the mistake was in making the paving stone lines horizontal rather than the building!

Really like the first, the security chap looks enthralled in his work

Hi Leigh.

I hope you don't mind but I did see potential in the second picture (I acutally liked it more than the first) but it does have some WB issues that needed some colour correcting...

Anywho, just to give a glance at its potential I had a little go of correcting it. I used selective colour adjustment layer for all of it.

6955289617_aaf90daffc.jpg

Hi Phil,

Not a problem - always willing to learn where i'm going wrong. Thing hobby is about learning all the time is it not :)

I think one of the things that I liked about this shot was the ceiling patterns you can see through the window.

Also, whatever you've done seems to have made the 'clock light' a bit more green - was that intentional?

jokeruk said:
Also, whatever you've done seems to have made the 'clock light' a bit more green - was that intentional?

The short answer is no lol.

Easy correction should.you wish to try yourself but it was incredibly quick and I must admit, I was focusing on the building itself and the overall colour tone...

Haha, fair enough!

Thanks for the input though. What was it that made you think the balance was off? Was it the kind of 'intense orangey' hue to the building?

jokeruk said:
Haha, fair enough!

Thanks for the input though. What was it that made you think the balance was off? Was it the kind of 'intense orangey' hue to the building?

It was off. Under tungsten light a lot of cameras find it tough to auto wb...it just has too much yellow so normally looks better when corrected to a more cooler image.

The clock was balanced correctly but that's not tungsten light...

jokeruk said:
OK, thanks for that. So I take it a colour correction within PS under a mask to block changes to the clock tower is the way forward?

There are so many ways you can do it...I applied it to the whole image, if I'd have wanted to leave some of it or a percentage of some of it I'd have used the brush tool over the adjustment layer to erase what I didn't want to be touched but you can also use masks and new layers...

Thanks. Your help *is* appreciated. This is the first time really that i've had people critique/offer improvements on my shots - rather than just the family doing the whole 'thats good, you should get paid for that'. Which i just shrug at and tell them i'm not good enough :)

Back