Manchester Oxford Road 'Project'

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
No
I've been in the vicinity of Manchester Oxford Road for most last week and this week. I don't really do 'street' photography, but here's some of what I've captured - in no particular order:

1/

Caught by Daniel Cadden Photo, on Flickr

2/

Pose 4 da Camera by Daniel Cadden Photo, on Flickr

3/

Costa costa costa costa by Daniel Cadden Photo, on Flickr

4/

eyed suspiciously by Daniel Cadden Photo, on Flickr

5/

A Suspicious Glance by Daniel Cadden Photo, on Flickr

6/

iPod City Cyclist by Daniel Cadden Photo, on Flickr

Again, not really my usual territory and although I personally like what I'm churning out, would be nice to know what other people think. I've gone for, in a way, a far more artistic leaning with a lot of these shots. I've not had huge amounts of time to craft any of them - I've just kept the camera with me so that I can take pictures as and when.

The full set is here and is likely to grow in the next couple of days.

nice job. There's quite a gulf between the shots with regard to what some look like grab shots while others look well thought out and composed. Love the Costa cups and the cyclist - great shots (y)..
#4 does nothing for me i'm afraid. There's no context.. is it a funeral or a court? :D
#1 i like.. i wonder what she's thinking .. there's no mouth, so we're left to read her mood from her eyes.. i like that (y)

#2 grab shot for me.. the processing helps it a bit.
#5 on the fence.. can't decide with this. nicely composed but can't put my finger on why i don't like it

keep 'em coming (y)

I studied on Oxford Road in the John Dalton Building (I know - Micky Mouse University) so I love these shots becasue of where they are!

Agree with Leigh on #1 #2 #4
I like #3; well spotted and captured
I also like #5, maybe only because I know where it is - a little cold maybe though
I'm not keen on #6; nice panning, but needs more space on the right for him to move into

Are these candid shots, or were they composed

The reason i ask is that i personally would feel rather awkward if someone suddenly whipped out a camera and pointed it at me on the street, and vice versa if i was the cameraman pointing it at some random passers by

Sorry for going slightly off topic

Are these candid shots, or were they composed

The reason i ask is that i personally would feel rather awkward if someone suddenly whipped out a camera and pointed it at me on the street, and vice versa if i was the cameraman pointing it at some random passers by

Sorry for going slightly off topic

I'm guessing these are street photography i.e. snapping strangers? I've still not really got the bottle to have a go properly; but might try get over it and give it a go around town this weekend. Most of the threads on here suggest that people don't mind,especially if you explain it's for a project, and if they do you can always delete the photo.

I saw this thread the other day; intersting to read the description in Flickr for the 1st pic (click the pic)
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=421318&highlight=gloucester

I'm also tempted to get this t-shirt and try and get in some shots myself!
http://www.shotdeadinthehead.com/product_view.aspx?pid=3138

Last edited:
Ha ha ha, i like that

I'm still pretty new to photography and i'm stuck in the bimbling around on my own phase at the moment, i try and go places where no one else goes as i still feel awkward/a bit geeky, when i pull out all my camera equipment

Ha ha ha, i like that

I'm still pretty new to photography and i'm stuck in the bimbling around on my own phase at the moment, i try and go places where no one else goes as i still feel awkward/a bit geeky, when i pull out all my camera equipment

I accepted that I'm a massive geek long ago! I know what you mean though, I generally like to blend into the background and don't like getting attention... I need to try and get along to some TP meets and start playing with the other TOGs!

Sorry, you've lost be again, TP's and TOG's ????

Noob alert :LOL:

Sorry :LOL: but don't worry - i'm still learning too!

TP = Talk Photography
TOG = phoTOGrapher

I'll go against the flow and say that I like #4, the clear interaction between the camera and the one person standing still against the flow of activity appeals to me.
For a similar reason I also like #5, the contrast between the still and the motion of the two characters appeals.

Sorry, you've lost be again, TP's and TOG's ????

Noob alert :LOL:

TP = Talk Photography (TP Meets are meetings arranged between members).
TOG = PhoTOGrapher.

Thanks to you all from the feedback.

nice job. There's quite a gulf between the shots with regard to what some look like grab shots while others look well thought out and composed. Love the Costa cups and the cyclist - great shots (y)..

Really they are all grab shots.. I was in the vicinity not to take photos but to hand out flyers. (Glamorous!)

They are all taken using a D200 and a Nikkor 18-105 - so not very flash kit.

#4 does nothing for me i'm afraid. There's no context.. is it a funeral or a court? :D
It's visitors queuing up to watch a Graduation ceremony. I just liked the subjects expression and eye contact with the camera.

#1 i like.. i wonder what she's thinking .. there's no mouth, so we're left to read her mood from her eyes.. i like that (y)

#2 grab shot for me.. the processing helps it a bit.
#5 on the fence.. can't decide with this. nicely composed but can't put my finger on why i don't like it

keep 'em coming (y)

:)

James,
Thank you for your feedback too.

I'm not keen on #6; nice panning, but needs more space on the right for him to move into

In the original shot the cyclist was fairly central to the frame. I've broken quite a few 'rules' on composition with this work just because I'm a contrary bu$$er.

Here's another cycling/panning shot:

The Journey 29 - Flat by Daniel Cadden Photo, on Flickr

On the photographing strangers front.. I think if no one did it, then a large aspect of the way we live would go undocumented and that would be a great loss to us all, culturally. I'm also quite happy for strangers to photograph me - in fact whilst I was out there working I was photographed my many strangers - most of them Japanese!

Thanks again to all of you for your feedback and critique. I'll leave you with one last image which summed up how wet it was:

Subway by Daniel Cadden Photo, on Flickr

You can view all 32 images I've selected from my last two weeks on Oxford Road here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ed_o_brain/sets/72157630562391648/with/7613886792/

Ha ha ha, i like that

Fellow Sheffielder here in the same boat :LOL:

Back