Manchester Track Cycling

2nd is my favourite, cool shot of someone on the rollers and the exposure length works well.

#4 crop out the other tog and you've got a very sweet pic there.

Fair comment. I quite liked him in the shot though. Adds context.

Rich you must have met Rob manning the Rollapulloza rollers, you can't miss him arms full of Tatoo's

I saw him, didn't speak though. They were really busy.

I saw these photo's when I first started browsing the forum and liked all of them. I would like to know what lens you used and the settings for each shots - is that available?
Best regards, Neil :)

I saw these photo's when I first started browsing the forum and liked all of them. I would like to know what lens you used and the settings for each shots - is that available?
Best regards, Neil

Thanks Neil.

One body with a Sigma 20-40 f/2.8, another with a Canon 70-200 f/4L.

1+2 are both shot wide open at 2.8 on the Sigma, not a lot of light in the centre of the Velodrome. 2 was handheld at 1/8th!

The others shot with the Canon @ 1/50 or 1/60.

One and three here.
Done very nicely with the third image.. nice DOF and stuff.
Do you experiment with panning a lot in these events, could get some cracking results with it, I'm guessing.

One and three here.
Done very nicely with the third image.. nice DOF and stuff.
Do you experiment with panning a lot in these events, could get some cracking results with it, I'm guessing.

Thanks.

Experimentation is definitely my thing. Some stuff works, other stuff doesn't.

I've got to do another shoot for them in a couple of weeks time. Going to try some off camera flash, fisheye, and lensbaby stuff.

Thanks.

Experimentation is definitely my thing. Some stuff works, other stuff doesn't.

I've got to do another shoot for them in a couple of weeks time. Going to try some off camera flash, fisheye, and lensbaby stuff.

Sounds like fun... hope you will once again show examples of images that work.. as well as few that didn't (if you dare..:D )

How close to the track can you get to take the photos... a fisheye right by the track in a turn might be worth a shot (of course only with a remote trigger...)

How close to the track can you get to take the photos...

The track staff will stop photographers getting so close that they will endanger themselves or the riders, else as close as I like.

The track staff will stop photographers getting so close that they will endanger themselves or the riders, else as close as I like.

OK, so I take it they might not have a problem with a camera even close to the track - with the remote trigger (but I suppose this would also have to be away from the danger zone).
But it is nice that there is freedom for you to move around and get different angles for the shots.

We wouldn't be allowed to mount a camera on the track or apron, as riders do use all of that area at some stage. We are allowed from the railing to the light blue, though always have to be vigilant for riders slowing down, who use the dark blue too.

Back