Manchester Xmas Market

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
Had a really enjoyable afternoon in Manchester with Marcel, Jimmy_Lemon and gazzedd. I had metering issues with the d700 at the beginning and shutter speed issues. Thankfully once I set the minimum shutter speed in auto-iso up to 1/125 and set the metering to spot with exposure compensation to -0.3 or -0.7 I started getting good photos. However, I took around 350 and liked 8. I had the focus set to continuous but a lot were just out of focus. I think I need the 50mm f/1.4 for its faster motor and more practice. What I really love is how clean these are. I set the minimum shutter speed, highest ISO and don't worry. I'm not going to get blurry shots unless I really screw up. Its awesome. Oh and I love that spot metering meters where the focus point is, not the center spot like on Canon which is essentially pointless if you move the focus point to the side.

DSC_0717.jpg

DSC_0719.jpg

DSC_0766.jpg

DSC_0845.jpg

DSC_0856.jpg

DSC_0860.jpg

DSC_0885.jpg

DSC_0904.jpg

Last edited:
Cracking set - like you, I need to set my exposure to -0.7. I wonder if this is a common "issue"?

I love the 1st, but all are awesome. Your B & W's are something else, I love how the shadows come out.

Gary.

Cracking set - like you, I need to set my exposure to -0.7. I wonder if this is a common "issue"?

I love the 1st, but all are awesome. Your B & W's are something else, I love how the shadows come out.

Gary.

Who knows, maybe :) I noticed that they were coming out just a bit over exposed but better than the other metering settings I tried. Set to -0.7 and sorted.

Nice one Pete!
The expression in 1 is priceless. :LOL:
Plus, anytime somebody says that Father Christmas isn't real, you can tell them to stuff it, you have photographic evidence in no 2!
T.
(y)(y) Great job!

Great shots Pete, do you approach people before hand when you're taking these shots or not? Do people ever get angry that you're taking their picture? If so, how do you tend to deal with shots like this. I know for one, I'm a little anxious sometimes that people may get miffed at me shoving a camera in their face?

May I ak if the d7000 will take colour photographys :LOL:

Nice set Pete apart from #2 , too much dark from the person on the left IMHO.

Great shots Pete, do you approach people before hand when you're taking these shots or not? Do people ever get angry that you're taking their picture? If so, how do you tend to deal with shots like this. I know for one, I'm a little anxious sometimes that people may get miffed at me shoving a camera in their face?

I'm also anxious aboutt these things. It doesn't seem to go away but you learn how to manage it. People are people. Most of the time they don't mind but you may run into someone odd. Some people notice you and won't want their photo taken. You've gotta read the signs, some of which are obvious and others not so.

Oh and I love that spot metering meters where the focus point is

But you dont always want to meter from where you are focusing. If I wanted a face in focus I might want to meter from a white bit of clothing so as not to blow it out.

not the center spot like on Canon which is essentially pointless if you move the focus point to the side.

I have my focusing done by pressing the AF-on button so I would focus on this guys face but I can press the shutter release to meter wherever on the pic i like without it altering the focus.

But you dont always want to meter from where you are focusing. If I wanted a face in focus I might want to meter from a white bit of clothing so as not to blow it out.

I have my focusing done by pressing the AF-on button so I would focus on this guys face but I can press the shutter release to meter wherever on the pic i like without it altering the focus.

Then you move the camera down a smidge, meter and hold the AE lock button, then move up again. Or lock the exposure, move the focus point.

Im always in manual so dont need to lock the exposure, where I put it, it stays... wherever I focus.

Perhaps thats where the difference is! :)

BUT

loving the shots by the way... great black and whites. (y)

Nikon are prone to shooting a little hot in my opinion, ie over rather than under. IIRC the D80 was the worst culprit, but it seems to calm down once the camera has bedded in and some have to shot -2/3rds to nail it. No big deal.

Great set Pete.

Fantastic set but my fave is #1 .... a corker (y)
... looks like he should be in 'Lord Of The Rings' or similar.

Also really like #2 ... another great character!

Looks like a good days shooting :)

Great set mate, I still need to get down there and shoot some myself. I dont like the look you are getting in number 4 from the two women. Did they say anything to you?

Fantastic set but my fave is #1 .... a corker (y)
... looks like he should be in 'Lord Of The Rings' or similar.

Also really like #2 ... another great character!

Looks like a good days shooting :)

Exactly what I was thinking!:clap::LOL::LOL:

Great set mate, I still need to get down there and shoot some myself. I dont like the look you are getting in number 4 from the two women. Did they say anything to you?

Nothing at all. Shot a few frames, they looked puzzeled and away I went.

Number 1 for me, as said looks a little other wordly, Harry Potter ish.

Great set though. I see you are enjoying the d700 :)

Great set Pete, love the contrasty look. No 2 looks like he's growing his beard to make another rug.

Andy

Back