Daily Mandy's 365 Challenge started 17/11/13 Day 262 Added

I like that - I know you were probably after "darker" but I'd prefer to see the petals boosted a little exposure wise

I like that - I know you were probably after "darker" but I'd prefer to see the petals boosted a little exposure wise

Strangely enough it didn't turn out anywhere near how I wanted it. I was aiming for a clear black background and the flower a little lighter, it was my first attempt with using my flashgun to deal with the lighting and I didn't quite get it right.

Good attempt Mandy! Tried to look at your Exif info but it won't let me on my phone. What was you set up? I've been playing around with this type of shot for a little while now. It's still a little hit and miss for me. Did you PP the shot?

Good attempt Mandy! Tried to look at your Exif info but it won't let me on my phone. What was you set up? I've been playing around with this type of shot for a little while now. It's still a little hit and miss for me. Did you PP the shot?

Thanks for looking my settings for this image were iso 100 f6.3 1/100 at 30mm, i made a boo boo and forgot to change my cameras settings.

Mandy try a very small aperture, say around f22. Put the camera in aperture priority. If you have an off camera flash, position it at various distances away from the subject. I find that sometimes you get the subject a bit over exposed (not blown) and some light in the back ground but you can the boost the contrast and slide the exposure down in PP. I also play around with the saturation and vibrancy. Hope this helps.

Mandy try a very small aperture, say around f22. Put the camera in aperture priority. If you have an off camera flash, position it at various distances away from the subject. I find that sometimes you get the subject a bit over exposed (not blown) and some light in the back ground but you can the boost the contrast and slide the exposure down in PP. I also play around with the saturation and vibrancy. Hope this helps.

I shot the rose at 1/160 F22 ISO 100 i tried AV mode but the camera took half a decade to take the shot. and yes i can use my flash off the camera but finding i was getting far to much light bleed onto the background for my liking. and as for pp i always play around with the various sliders in lightroom to see what effect i get.

PBB, I've looked at a good few images in your 365 thread. What are you trying to achieve from your photography? All I am seeing are snaps.

PBB, I've looked at a good few images in your 365 thread. What are you trying to achieve from your photography? All I am seeing are snaps.

Well i am working on the following
  • my composition
  • learning new techniques with my pp work
  • trying to get better in photography in general so i can make a little more money in my business
But it is hard when i don't get proper constructive comments and critique, with out people being nasty about it.

Yeah that's well better, what did you do differently on this one? I'm wondering if it would be best to clone out the leaves or try and get a little more exposure add jest to them. I use the brush in LIghtroom 4 on this type of work. Have you tried it?

Yeah that's well better, what did you do differently on this one? I'm wondering if it would be best to clone out the leaves or try and get a little more exposure add jest to them. I use the brush in LIghtroom 4 on this type of work. Have you tried it?

Yes I have worked my way through all the tools in LR5, as for what I did differently I played around with the power settings on my flash gun.

Well i am working on the following
  • my composition
  • learning new techniques with my pp work
  • trying to get better in photography in general so i can make a little more money in my business
But it is hard when i don't get proper constructive comments and critique, with out people being nasty about it.

Mandy I missed this dialogue last night but I have to say that I think you need to relax a bit when you receive comments/feedback that you disagree with.

I think that JennyGW asked a perfectly reasonable question based on her perception of your shots posted and it wasn't asked in a nasty manner at all and your response was actually a bit rude and not like you at all....

Jim

Mandy I missed this dialogue last night but I have to say that I think you need to relax a bit when you receive comments/feedback that you disagree with.

I think that JennyGW asked a perfectly reasonable question based on her perception of your shots posted and it wasn't asked in a nasty manner at all and your response was actually a bit rude and not like you at all....

Jim

I didn't disagree with anything and I was not rude I was being truthful which is how I was brought up to be. And I didn't say it was asked in a nasty manner, I was referring to the fact that not everyone can see an image and give proper crit on it. You only have to look on other areas of the forum to see how things can go downhill.

The whole reason I started this 365 was to use my camera more in the first place, as well as to learn more about composition, pp techniques, different styles of photography. As I know my stuff is off very poor quaility, but we all have had to start some where. I was hoping that when I started this challenge, that each image I have posted would of been ripped to pieces for bad bits and good bits. But mainly all I have had has been nice shot or words to that effect, and while that means a great deal to me that's not telling me what I could of done differently in order to improve. So I have to look on google and you tube to find the ways in which I can improve. And I am in no way being rude in this response I am merely satiating that it's how I feel. And I will continue to try and find more ways in which I can improve so that I make the leap from snap shot to interesting photo.

Can I just say I read Mandy's response differently. I agree I don't think it was rude at all. The "nasty" comment was more about others can give nasty crit at times. Just saying an image is rubbish without the reasons why etc. I'm the same as Mandy. I want to complete this project so that I can see a big improvement in my work at the end of a year. We'll only manage this if people give constructive feedback. I understand that this appears to be selfish, I struggle with providing feedback as I feel I'm not at a standard to positively give it to others other than saying I like an image or that it's great. But I do feel I try my best to be good member on the forum. .

I am having a catch up again as normal day to day life has taken over. The next 3 images were taken with a Leica M AG, the church pot was taken with a summilux M 1:1.4/50 ASP lens i cant work out which of the two 35mm lenses available from Leica that the other 2 images were taken with as it's not showing on my exif data.

Day 125 Church roof

Church roof
by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Day 126 Church door

Church door

Day 127 Church pot

Church pot

Back