Review Manfrotto 055XB tripod, 804RC2 head, carry bag & strap

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
review from Spencer for the Manfrotto 055XB tripod, 804RC2 head, carry bag & strap

part 1.

OK I've been meaning to do this for ages, but you know how you seem to run out of time.

I bought a Manfrotto 055XB tripod, 804RC2 head, carry bag & strap, just after Christmas & thought I would post a review on it.
I bought the above from here.

tripod3.jpg

The items arrived after a couple of days as promised, & were packaged very well. (the box it came in was huge!) It comes pre-assembled straight out the box.

My first impressions are still the same two months on, this is a well manufactured serious bit of kit, even the bag is of a very high standard with a shoulder strap & carry handle. The zip & zippers are nice and big, with a corded toggle to help with closing. (Comes in handy when its cold.)
tripod7.jpg

tripod24.jpg

tripod8.jpg

The tripod itself is very heavy duty, with a nice matt black finish. The large locking levers feel/sound very well engineered.
tripod18.jpg

They are levers on the top of each leg, which unlocks the leg allowing you to splay the legs out, they are also very well engineered in some sort of light alloy.
tripod22.jpg

tripod21.jpg

part 2

There is also a hanging hook in between two of the legs, & a loop to attach the shoulder strap to.

The centre column moves up & down once the locking nut has been loosend.
(This is quite large which helps when you have cold hands.)
tripod14.jpg

And the bottom of the centre cloumn come off (low angle adapter) to allow you to attach your head to it & lower the tripod very close to the ground.
tripod.jpg

The head follows in the footsteps of tripod & bag. Its superbly made, the handles are made of some sort of rubber which has a really nice feel, and have anti-slip properties.

The "tilt fore & aft" and the "tilt horizontal to vertical" have degree increments marked on them to allow quick and easy movement, and also allows you to quickly return to a previous setting. The head moves & feels very precise.
tripod15.jpg

tripod17.jpg

This head also has a quick release plate, which means you can mount the camera onto the tripod with one hand.

(Its does come in very handy.)
tripod10.jpg

You can probably tell that I'm very impressed with this tripod kit, I have used it a fair bit since purchasing it in December. And I even used it the the Brecons meet, where the carry\shoulder strap came in very handy.
tripod23.jpg

tripod9.jpg

tripod30.jpg

tripod29.jpg

I hope I have not bored you all, & that this will be of use to someone.
(Also sorry about the quality of some of the images)

Spence

all content ©Spencer and used with permission by Talk Photography™ 2009

Not boring at all Spence, in fact I have the same tripod and bag (322RC2 head) and can endorse all you say but I did not realize that the centre centre column could be detached and hung upside down:)

Great review(y)

I have these and am very pleased with both quality and practicality.

Why did you post the review :( Its just cost me for the same kit, for the boss (wife) but without the bag, great piece of kit and price.

Nice review! I have that tripod with a bal head and it is very good for the price. I do see a lot of people complain that its too heavy for going out hiking with but I think its fine, never even notice it once its strapped to the rucksack.

That did make me laugh as i am the worlds worst for this :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I have the 055XPROB and it is an excellent tripod, very solid and pro looking, i've had a strap for ages which i bought from ebay before i had the tripod, must get around to fixing it on the tripod, the bag is also very nice, but i wouldn't particularly carry it around :) great review thanks (y)

Last edited:
I also have the 055XPROB and find the quick release button on the bottom of the centre column great for swinging out the centre arm sideways, without having to remove it from the legs first. It also allows one to shoot right down at ground level with the legs fully splayed out.

I went for the 322RC2 Manfrotto pistol grip head for quick locating/locking onto the subject. It also incorporates a level bubble which saves having to adjust the level via the tripod

Realspeed

Last edited:
I also have the 055XPROB and find the quick release button on the bottom of the centre column great for swinging out the centre arm sideways, without having to remove it from the legs first. It also allows one to shoot right down at ground level with the legs fully splayed out.

I went for the 322RC2 Manfrotto pistol grip head for quick locating/locking onto the subject. It also incorporates a level bubble which saves having to adjust the level via the tripod

Realspeed

Sorry realspeed,
But this review was not for the pro version.;)

Spence

Back