Manfrotto 190 pro or 055 pro

Edit My Images
Yes
i am going to buy a new tripod,
it will have the 322RC2 head on,

but my question is.....

the 055 is about £20 more expensive, is it worth buying over the 190 pro ?

do any of you have either , or the head ?

MyPix:confused-

I was bought the 190 as a christmas present and compared to my last tripod it's great.

However........I've just completed a short photographic course with a pro who advertised in some of the photo mags and he had the 055 with the 322 ball grip.

Seeing the 2 tripods side by side allows me to make the following comments

1. the 322 ball grip is a damn fine piece of kit and i want one!

2. the 055 tripod is a good deal bigger. It stands taller and the legs are thicker and it's heavier.

The 190 is usable at full extention with the centre column in most conditions but don't expect it to be as stable height for height as the 055. I also think the 322 ball grip would be overkill on the 190 even if it does look :cool:

The 190 is a much more managable size though if your going to be lugging it around. I found it a perfect fit on my Lowepro mini trekker AW.

thanx for the insight ladz,

i will mainly be using it for my ( heavy ) 50-500 sigma, so want the most stable platform i can afford,

i also have the lowpro Nature Trekker AWII , so the 055 should fit ok on that,
i have looked at a few fluid video heads, but think the 322 would be better suited for my need , when set up for left hand control,

i test drove a 190 CL in jessops yesterday ( only one they had in stock ) and to be honest , it looked and felt like a nice tripod, however i think the 055 looks that bit better constructed, not taking anything away from the 190 tho,

MyPix

btw, as a pack i can get the 055 Pro B with 322RC2 head for £155 , good price---bad price ??

Thats a good price I think.
I looked at the 322 and it retails at £89 on it's own.

With that lens i'd go for the 055 if I was buying.

I didn't have the choice, but i'm happy with the 190.for now :D

MyPix said:
thanx for the insight ladz,

i will mainly be using it for my ( heavy ) 50-500 sigma, so want the most stable platform i can afford,

i also have the lowpro Nature Trekker AWII , so the 055 should fit ok on that,
i have looked at a few fluid video heads, but think the 322 would be better suited for my need , when set up for left hand control,

i test drove a 190 CL in jessops yesterday ( only one they had in stock ) and to be honest , it looked and felt like a nice tripod, however i think the 055 looks that bit better constructed, not taking anything away from the 190 tho,

MyPix

btw, as a pack i can get the 055 Pro B with 322RC2 head for £155 , good price---bad price ??

Excellent price ....care to share where from ?? I'm interested in a new tripod myself but was waiting to see if I could have a play with a few down at the 'Focus on Image' show at the NEC come the end of this month.

cool,

well, as of last night i bought the Manfrotto 055 PRO-B with the 322RC2 head ,
i ended up buying it from Germany , and it will be marked as a ' gift ' to reduce costs to me,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7584273281&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

he is a very helpfull english speaking ebayer, who answered all my questions b4 i hit the BIN button,
he does several combinations of these pods and heads, all of which are at great prices ,

just got to wait for it to turn up now , lol

MyPix

Cheers for the link MyPix..... is the one you've ordered in black or silver ?? Looks a good deal for the money :thumb:

With more available I may be tempted myself.....

it was the PRO-B , the B stands for black in this case,
if there is no 'B' then its standard finish

he had several available, you should be able to mail him for a BIN price

hope this helps

MyPix

MyPix said:
it was the PRO-B , the B stands for black in this case,
if there is no 'B' then its standard finish

he had several available, you should be able to mail him for a BIN price

hope this helps

MyPix

Sorry to appear thinker than normal - but what is a BIN price ? :getmecoat

BIN = Buy It Now....

MyPix

:D Thought it was MyPix but had to ask........... just priced this up on Warehouse Express and its coming in at £219 :doh: thats a great saving fella.

Mr THX said:
:D Thought it was MyPix but had to ask........... just priced this up on Warehouse Express and its coming in at £219 :doh: thats a great saving fella.

lol, no worries,

the thing is, you can get it from your local jessops for the exact same price as warehouse express !

£129 for the 055Pro B tripod
£89.99 for the 322RC2 head

MyPix

What has he quoted you for shipping to Europe ?? and did you have to ask for the 'Gift' label ??

my total price of £167 ( 246 euro ) included the shipping of 24 euro , he will mark it as a gift for me,

so ( as i work it out ) i saved over £50,
no small amount.........

MyPix

MyPix said:
cool,

i ended up buying it from Germany , and it will be marked as a ' gift ' to reduce costs to me,

MyPix

If its bought from Germany and delivered to UK you dont have to worry about any marked down value for customs, Germany is in Europe :)

Remember that a package is usually only insured for the value declared on the package/paperwork , so nothing to gain with marked down packages from one part of Europe to another.

Thats is a great price for the head and Tripod ! I paid around £90 just for the head from Jessops.

Mark.

cool,

i know what ur saying, i didnt get it marked down in value, just asked for it to be marked as a gift, so the insurance will still cover an expensive gift,

MyPix:)

Back