Manfrotto 190 tripod range

Name
mark
Edit My Images
No
Hi All

I'm looking for a bit of advice, off anyone who has used these tripods or can give any info on them.

I've been looking at the 190xpro3 I think it's called.

I recently sold my D810 and camera gear, but am looking to get a cheaper camera but study tripod which is also travel friendly with my on flight luggage allowence.

The original reason this range got my attention, was due to the 3 way head on it

Pros? Cons? Any other brands i should be looking out for?

For travel, I would probably go for the CXPro4 with a suitable head rather than the XPro3. The CX series is carbon fibre so is lighter and the 4 section legs allow it to me smaller when fully collapsed. Heads are a whole different subject! While ball heads are generally quick to set up and simple to use, they very often fail to stay set as you want them and faffing to get them set precisely can be slower than using a geared head. Geared heads are very accurately positionable but can seem slow to set up but once set accurately stay there. I've never liked 3 way heads, probably because of early experiences with cheap ones on cheap legs.

I have the 190 plus 3 way head. I've just popped it on the bathroom scales and it's 6.75 lb. It's not that small either. I'll happily walk several miles with it but I'm not sure I'd want to travel with it. I bought it because it fitted with my quality and budget requirements. I like the 3 way head. It's not quick to set up but for landscape it's not a problem. I use it to shoot the sun with my 150-600mm Sigma at full extension and once locked up it does not move. If you can afford it there are better tripods for travelling. Heads are heads.

I have a 190xPROB and find it very cumbersome and heavy, I use it with a Jessops own ball head, I find that the push clip retainers that secure the legs once extended also get really easily clogged up with muck etc that makes them hard to operate. I like the extending tilting head section though and reckon that this tripod would be great in the studio or somewhere like that, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it for travel.

Last edited:
For travel, I would probably go for the CXPro4 with a suitable head rather than the XPro3. The CX series is carbon fibre so is lighter and the 4 section legs

My daughter has one of these and has taken it on several holidays including carting it all over Shetland, seems durable too. Sounds more like what you might want, 3 way head might not be the lightest or most travel friendly option either (unless you mean the different angles the centre column can be positioned?)

I bought the 190 tripod when on a business trip to Prague and realised how nice the city was.

Bought it secondhand in this Alladin's cave of a secondhand camera shop for £68 including the ball and socket head.

(It fitted in my luggage on the way back too).

Can't fault it, so sturdy that I recently sold my 055 Manfrotto as it was too big and heavy and was no less sturdy than the 190.

My daughter has one of these and has taken it on several holidays including carting it all over Shetland, seems durable too. Sounds more like what you might want, 3 way head might not be the lightest or most travel friendly option either (unless you mean the different angles the centre column can be positioned?)

Just looked at the cxpro4, which is looking around £300 with no head. The 190xpro3 is £129 with no head on calumet and wex.

Having recently sold all my gear, I'm looking to replenish it with something more sturdy than my last set up. My last tripod wasn't that sturdy. Lasted me two years, but started to show its age.

pros - sturdy enough (just), versatile and easy to use, spares available,

cons - could be taller, leg locks are very poor and prone to oxidation (leading to catastrophic failure), spares are insanely expensive. I have nearly finished killing off my 2nd one.

It is ideal good weather or indoors tripod. I sadly don't know any better affordable alternatives.

I got the 190 Go from Wex a few weeks ago. Free 496RC2 ball head, and an additional 10% off promo, so was a bit of a bargain.

I use it with a Leica Q and the Formatt-Hitech 67x85mm filter system, and it's more than fine. No issues yet.

(I'm am going to get a geared head for it at the weekend, but that's nothing against the ball head that was included).

Ta :)

Back