Manfrotto 324 RC2 Joystick Head problems

S

SimonH

I've had the Manfrotto 324 RC2 for about a year and I'm now having problems with it not gripping the ball very well, and actually sagging in portrait orientation.

I'm using a pro body (D2x) and lens (12-24mm Nikon), but the head is certainly touted to be able to prop up more weight than this. My tripod is substantially under-used, and this problem is occurring after absolutely no more than 4 hours of accumulated use. [edit] Note: the problem has developed, rather than having always existed.

Does anyone know of some maintenance I should be doing on the head, to prevent/resolve this issue? Is it a known issue? Did I buy a lemon? Thoughts/advice gratefully received!

Last edited by a moderator:
How long is the warranty on Manfrotto heads? Might be worth going back to the retailer with it and asking their advice. What does the head's manual say about adjustment? I have the older 322 jojstick head and there is an adjuster to increase the grip of the mechanism on the ball - the newer ones may have something similar.

Thanks for the reply, Nod.

The box and any manual are long gone, unfortunately. :( The head does have the friction adjustment wheel on the underside but tightening/loosening has no apparent effect once you release the grip.

The Manfrotto website seems to have a redirect loop on the warranty info menu option at the moment, so no joy there. The retailer is Jessops and, without putting too fine a point on it, the staff at my local store don't seem to have taken the job because of a passion for photography. :|

Hello Simon, i have one of these heads and the instructions say “After extended use you may notice that the ball locking mechanism becomes slightly slack.
You can re-adjust this by tightening screw R very slightly using the supplied allan key T.
Only small adjustments are necessary to regain full locking power”

Screw R is at the end of the grip leaver at the ball joint end.

I hope this helps.

ilikebowens, thank you sooo much! That's exactly what I needed to know! I suspect the allen key will have been in the box when it was shipped out to the tip, but I'll have an identical one in the garage.

Much appreciate your help! (y)

Quick update.. found my allen keys and tightened per your instructions. Cured! The head's now working better than it did the day I bought it!

Thanks again! (y)

Thanks so much I just tried this - Just a little note for anyone else who does this to turn it anti-clockwise to tighten.

Thanks so much I just tried this - Just a little note for anyone else who does this to turn it anti-clockwise to tighten.

Hi Sophie and welcome to TP:)

But to misquote Robin.....................Holy thread revival Batman, did you see how old this thread is??? ;)

PS for anyone seeing this thread again now due to the Google bots (re)listing it.

Here is a link to the Manfrotto Spares company
https://www.manfrottospares.com/ in case that is useful in future!

That said it's not really a spares question, rather it's an adjustment question :)

Back