Manfrotto 410 Junior geared head alignment

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Just purchased a secondhand Manfrotto 410 head and although I know the answer, can someone please let me know if the alignment marks next to the degree dials line up with 0 degree marks on the stickers?

They're around 5-7 degrees on the one I have here.

They should do but to be fair it makes no difference if your legs are not level

Oh of course, totally get that, just had to be certain RE the alignment. Thanks for confirming.

The main concern was if everything was free and it appears so, but when I seen the marks weren't lining up properly, I had to pose the question.

It’s the best head I ever had but it was getting too heavy to lug it up hills to locations so I had to let it go

Just purchased a secondhand Manfrotto 410 head and although I know the answer, can someone please let me know if the alignment marks next to the degree dials line up with 0 degree marks on the stickers?

They're around 5-7 degrees on the one I have here.

Yes, they should, but it makes no difference and they're only stuck on. You can peel them off and reposition if you're careful.

Yer it is rather a bit heavier than I’m used to, but was purchased with Astro photography in mind, so should be perfect for that.

Thanks Hoppy. One sticker is half off and the other has a hole in the middle where someone has rammed an Allen key through it[emoji849] Not perfect, but considering it works as it should(so far) and the price paid, I can live with it as is. [emoji1303]

How much did you pay? I’ve just literally sold mine with manfrotto O55 legs and the padded bag it goes with....

Last edited:
How much did you pay? I’ve just literally sold mine with manfrotto O55 legs and the padded bag it goes with....

Just over £80 shipped. They stated it was a bit stiff to use, but everything seems perfect to me[emoji41]

Lightweight bag of [emoji90]

Huh, you learn something new every day...the 410 came with a Hejnar Photo extended plate.

Didn’t know what it was when I first seen it[emoji23]

Another person thinks the same, though they’d still recommend it

I'd probably still recommend it too despite the stupid amount of flex, not for heavy loads, not in difficult conditions but how many other choices do you have for a relatively light geared head?

Just over £80 shipped. They stated it was a bit stiff to use, but everything seems perfect to me[emoji41]

I sold too cheap

I'd probably still recommend it too despite the stupid amount of flex, not for heavy loads, not in difficult conditions but how many other choices do you have for a relatively light geared head?

You can feel it flexing as you mount the camera. Manfrotto should be ashamed frankly, but I'm sure they're not because much the same can be said of their nasty little BeFree super-bendy travel tripod :eek:

If low weight and affordable price are priorities, I'd rather forego the geared bit and opt for a decent 3-way head like the Manfrotto 804 (also plastic, but pretty rigid). There are some nice, light-weight geared heads around, but nothing at all cheap, eg the gorgeous Arca-Swiss D4, or KPS D5 geared ball head (not tried that one).

If low weight and affordable price are priorities, I'd rather forego the geared bit and opt for a decent 3-way head like the Manfrotto 804 (also plastic, but pretty rigid). There are some nice, light-weight geared heads around, but nothing at all cheap, eg the gorgeous Arca-Swiss D4, or KPS D5 geared ball head (not tried that one).

I had no idea there were geared ballheads besides the d4...

Dammit I want to try one now but $800 before import fees is a little tough to swallow, I'm using a 405 as I like how it handles but it's bigger and heavier than I want/need. Say what you want about Manfrotto but they sell so much stuff there's always a used bargain to be had for any of their gear.

I had no idea there were geared ballheads besides the d4...

Dammit I want to try one now but $800 before import fees is a little tough to swallow, I'm using a 405 as I like how it handles but it's bigger and heavier than I want/need. Say what you want about Manfrotto but they sell so much stuff there's always a used bargain to be had for any of their gear.

I have a lot of Manfrotto stuff, generally pretty solid and decent value, easy to buy and sell second-hand. I also have a 405 (converted to Arca-Swiss) bought second-hand off here, and it's much easier to use and with finer adjustment than my previous 410. Much as I'd like something smaller and lighter, once it's set up I'm not sure there's anything actually better for studio table-top, at any price - love those big grippy knobs :)

Last edited:
Well that's a bit of a bummer. I'd asked the wife for one of these for Christmas (she hasn't purchased it yet), but it would have been mainly used for the High Res mode on the OMD EM1 MK II, and it would need to be rock steady. Looking at the video looks like there's a fair bit of wobble :(

Well that's a bit of a bummer. I'd asked the wife for one of these for Christmas (she hasn't purchased it yet), but it would have been mainly used for the High Res mode on the OMD EM1 MK II, and it would need to be rock steady. Looking at the video looks like there's a fair bit of wobble :(

The super-hi-res pixel-shift modes that we're now getting on a few cameras are impressive, but they're always demonstrated with optimised studio test scenes - because that's the best way to show what they can do.

But the real world is rather different. Apart from the problems pixel-shift has with moving subjects, it's bluddy hard to achieve a properly stable and 100% vibratation-free platform without a heavy tripod and perfectly still conditions, mirror-up, electronic first-curtain, fast shutter speeds etc. I have Imatest for lens testing, which uses little square targets to read MTF sharpness, so you can cut them out and stick them to subjects in the field. I was amazed at how hard it is to get anywhere near the studio test readings.

The super-hi-res pixel-shift modes that we're now getting on a few cameras are impressive, but they're always demonstrated with optimised studio test scenes - because that's the best way to show what they can do.

But the real world is rather different. Apart from the problems pixel-shift has with moving subjects, it's bluddy hard to achieve a properly stable and 100% vibratation-free platform without a heavy tripod and perfectly still conditions, mirror-up, electronic first-curtain, fast shutter speeds etc. I have Imatest for lens testing, which uses little square targets to read MTF sharpness, so you can cut them out and stick them to subjects in the field. I was amazed at how hard it is to get anywhere near the studio test readings.
Or, just use a regular camera handheld and combine 4 images... pixel shift accomplished!

Back