Manfrotto joins memory card market with their Pro Rugged UHS-II SD cards- thoughts?

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I’ve just read on petapixel that Manfrotto have joined the memory card market with their new Pro Rugged range.

https://petapixel.com/2020/01/11/ma...ugged-memory-cards-the-toughest-in-the-world/

Anyone have any thoughts on them? Anyone ordered one?

There doesn’t seem to be much information on them. Read speed is 280MB/s and write 250MB/s which is quite good. There are no details on who’s internals they are using as I’m guessing they are probably rebadged cards rather than manufactured by them.

Currently there is a 50% off the price. This means the 64GB UHS-II cards are £47.50 and the 128GB UHS-II cards are £92.50. That’s quite tempting considering thats roughly half the price the SanDisk versions, although they are a bit faster and tested on the market. I’m tempted by the 64GB as I could do with a second fast UHS-II SD card.

https://www.manfrotto.com/uk-en/special-offers/memory-cards-discount/

Hmmm! Is it a reasonable surmise they are a branded version made by one of the leading manufacturers? But if so who???

And as such.....worth a punt, or not?

Hmmm! Is it a reasonable surmise they are a branded version made by one of the leading manufacturers? But if so who???
That’s the first question that may need answering.

worth a punt, or not?
And the second question.

I’m tempted to order a 64GB USH-II SD card as it would be my backup fast SD card. Currently I’m running a SanDisk 300MB/s 64GB UHS-II card in the first (UHS-II) slot and a SanDisk Extreme Pro 90MB/s 128GB card in the second (UHS-I) slot in a Sony A7r3. I’ve been thinking of picking up another SanDisk 300MB/s 64GB card but they are nearly £100. That’s quite a bit for something that’s going to sit in the bag unused most of the time.

In regard to the actual manufacturers.... I am thinking perhaps one like Micron who make the memory for Crucial rather than a rebranded Sandisk (for example).

Don't Sony sell a Tough SD card... similar situation to Manfrotto???

Sony are the only other manufacturer who offers a ‘tough’ SD card.

If Sony have their own memory Fab plant maybe it is them making the Manfrotto labeled SD's???

That’s the first question that may need answering.

And the second question.

I’m tempted to order a 64GB USH-II SD card as it would be my backup fast SD card. Currently I’m running a SanDisk 300MB/s 64GB UHS-II card in the first (UHS-II) slot and a SanDisk Extreme Pro 90MB/s 128GB card in the second (UHS-I) slot in a Sony A7r3. I’ve been thinking of picking up another SanDisk 300MB/s 64GB card but they are nearly £100. That’s quite a bit for something that’s going to sit in the bag unused most of the time.

Hi Rob-nikon
does'nt this below meen your top speed 300mb only runs at 90 mb I thought that if you have 2 cards in they only write at the lower speed .
Rob.
Currently I’m running a SanDisk 300MB/s 64GB UHS-II card in the first (UHS-II) slot and a SanDisk Extreme Pro 90MB/s 128GB card in the second

Hi Rob-nikon
does'nt this below meen your top speed 300mb only runs at 90 mb I thought that if you have 2 cards in they only write at the lower speed .
Rob.
Currently I’m running a SanDisk 300MB/s 64GB UHS-II card in the first (UHS-II) slot and a SanDisk Extreme Pro 90MB/s 128GB card in the second
It does but I often have the second slot set to overflow rather than backup so really only using one card. This is the problem with only having one UHS-II card slot in the camera.

I’m guessing they are probably rebadged cards rather than manufactured by them.
Almost certainly - think there are only 4 actual manufacturers : Toshiba (well Kioxia or something now), SanDisk, Micron & Samsung

Samsung also do ruggedised cards that will survive a dip in seawater - etc but physical ruggedization is limited because they all still have to meet the SDA spec.

Do we really need more rugged memory cards?
I’ve only had 1 sd card material failure and I’ve lost count how many memory cards I have .... my point being - even with my fairly heavy usage - material strength has never really been an issue

They are at a rather good price for a fast SD card. Sandisk equivalent is about twice the price. Ruggedness is a bonus.

got my pair today and they work very well! Just as fast as my Sandisks in real world use (i.e. any minor differences is not noticeable) for clearing the buffer.

Be interesting to see the CID from one (which would hopefully reveal the ultimate manufacturer) - Google SD CID and your operating system for details on how to read the CID (its simplest on Linux)

Back