Manfrotto Junior 410 Help

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I wonder if anyone can offer any bright ideas about this
I have a Junior 410 head and the lever which releases the camera mounting plate is stuck fast and I cannot release the mounting plate.
I have tried tapping it gently with a hammer and spraying with WD40 but to no avail can anyone offer any suggestions as to how to get the thing to release

Any Thoughts

Chris

A trick I've been told (but haven't used myself) is to use a 50/50 mix of Acetone and automatic transmission fluid as a penetrating oil.

Is the camera on the plate? if not and the wd40 doesnt help it might be time for a bit more force. If push comes to shove you can replace the head.

Question: Is the camera on the tripod plate OR is the camera not on the tripod plate? I have one and can fiddle with mine for you.

Question: Is the camera on the tripod plate OR is the camera not on the tripod plate? I have one and can fiddle with mine for you.

Fortunately, the camera is not on the tripod plate , if it's any help the release lever is stuck in the middle, the little spring-loaded silver button that you press in to release the lever slides in and out OK
Any help will be much appreciated, I really don't want to resort to brute force but if push comes to shove I will have to as the head is no use ATM

Okay . . . I just took a a quick of mine so I might as well post it lol . . . I'll have a fiddle with mine now.

Manfroto tripod plate pin to push down.jpg

Unscrew that brass nut on the top . . . the only issues there could be is something has failed or there is a bit of grit jamming the lever. That's all it could be. There is an exploded diagram over at manfrottospares.com/pdfs/410/410-20041116.pdf

edit: DON'T UNSCREW THAT TOP BRASS NUT !!! IT IS A LOCATOR NOT A NUT,

Last edited:
And I found this on Youtube . . . copy and paste into Youtube:

How to Fix a Manfrotto 410 or 405 Quick Release Plate​

Unscrew that brass nut on the top . . . the only issues there could be is something has failed or there is a bit of grit jamming the lever. That's all it could be. There is an exploded diagram over at manfrottospares.com/pdfs/410/410-20041116.pdf
I cant get at the brass nut because the camera mounting plate is stuck in place and the lever is not moving to release it

Fortunately, the camera is not on the tripod plate , if it's any help the release lever is stuck in the middle, the little spring-loaded silver button that you press in to release the lever slides in and out OK
Any help will be much appreciated, I really don't want to resort to brute force but if push comes to shove I will have to as the head is no use ATM

If/when you do need the brute force option, I'd cut the plate off with a Dremel (or similar) since that's an easily replaceable part. Once the plate is off, you can get at the rest of the gubbins to free it all off.

PROGRESS- with a bit of gentle persuasion with a hammer I have now got the lever to move and the mounting plate off so I can now see what's happening, or not as the case may be.
What seems to be happening is that the little spring-loaded button that should release the lever is not working, so I have got to sort that out now

Last edited:
PROGRESS- with a bit of gentle persuasion with a hammer I have now got the lever to move and the mounting plate off so I can now see what's happening, or not as the case may be.
What seems to be happening is that the little spring-loaded button that should release the lever is not working, so I have got to sort that out now
I just bought two packs of spares from Manfrotto spares . com !!! - According to the Youtue video its part number R354 08, just in case mine give up the struggle lol.

I cant get at the brass nut because the camera mounting plate is stuck in place and the lever is not moving to release it
No. On the underside of the brass nut which is under the tripod head.

"the little spring-loaded button that should release the lever is not working" . . . :oops: :$ ooh . . . keep us posted, I don't want to get stuck and not know what to do !

Success
All working ( after a fashion) the release lever when in the locked position with the camera plate in place is very stiff to unlock , although with a fair bit of force it will unlock.
There is a bright spot where the paint has worn off on the bottom left corner of the lever (just below the tail of the arrow in fixers photo ) which would seem to suggest there is a proud spot on the lever so a touch with a bit of fine emery paper might help.

Thanks for everyone's help and input it is very much appreciated

Regards

Chris

Okay . . . I just took a a quick of mine so I might as well post it lol . . . I'll have a fiddle with mine now.

View attachment 401758
My Tripod has that same button and it release's the lever when I put in a camera. It also has the brass botton to lock the thing in place. Have had the tripod for a long long time and now I know what that brass lever is for. Amazing, wait long enough and you someday find out what stuff does. Have never had the camera come loose accidently either.

I'm glad you've got it fixed Chris - they're great little heads. I've just upgraded mine to its big brother (the 405) as my cameras keep putting on weight. A bit like me really . . . :(

Anyway, the 410 will be going in the classified soon and as it's quite 'well used', it won't be expensive if yours fails again.

I'm glad you've got it fixed Chris - they're great little heads. I've just upgraded mine to its big brother (the 405) as my cameras keep putting on weight. A bit like me really . . . :(

Anyway, the 410 will be going in the classified soon and as it's quite 'well used', it won't be expensive if yours fails again.
Thanks for that, the annoying thing was I don't use it very often. I bought it mainly for use with a TS-E lens for interiors but I don't do that anymore.
I was having a go at Smoke photography and thought it would be ideal only to find it was stuck

Reactions: Sky
Now you've got it apart, give every moving part a little squirt of GT85 or similar (IME, lasts longer than WD40) and work it in to the mechanism. No machine likes being left idle for too long!

(Just to mention the parts I ordered yesterday from manfrotto spare parts . com have just arrived - That was quick !!)

Mafrotto JUNIOR 410 GEAR HEAD SPARE PARTS X 2 CAME NEX DAY R354,08.jpg

The 405 is great. I love it. On the 057 legs solid as heck.

Reactions: Sky
Back