Manfrotto Modo 785B

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone got one? They any good?

I just need something that's light and compact for trekking around with and at £55 it seems a good price, considering there's a head included.

Anyone got one? They any good?

I just need something that's light and compact for trekking around with and at £55 it seems a good price, considering there's a head included.

I've got one - and it's light & compact. It's a little too light for the 40D + Grip + a heavy lens, but it works.

It's like everything, you know it's going to be a compromise so you allow for it. I've used it for shooting bridies on a still day, and you can, with a bit of pressure, lock everything in place, but I wouldn't take it out for landscape shots in a wide open space, it wouldn't cope with the wind...

Hope that helps

Steve

I've got a trip to Cornwall coming up (we're camping) and we're also heading over the Minack theatre, where i want to take some shots. Don't really fancy lugging my big tripod around. It's only for a D200 with 18-70mm

Try a Pod. I use mine with a similar setup (as well as with lenses up to 500mm) and find it easier to carry and use (as well as giving better support) than the cheapie Manfrotto.

I've got a trip to Cornwall coming up (we're camping) and we're also heading over the Minack theatre, where i want to take some shots. Don't really fancy lugging my big tripod around. It's only for a D200 with 18-70mm

To give you some idea, the 785B was fine with my 350D and 70-210, when I put the grip on and started using the 70-300 it was a bit too much.

With the kit you have it should be fine, and it also comes in handy as a stand for my flash as well.

I like the size as it folds nicely onto the side of my rucksack when I'm on my bike.

Steve

I have one, won`t hold a D200,grip and 80-400, but it will certainly hold your body and 18-70, I use mine for hols and if I can`t be bothered taking the biggun with me.....(y)

I have that tripod with a D40X and 18-200VR and if you have it in the normal position (landscape view) and not "zoomed" then just about ok, but at full zoom it will start to slip as the grip is not quite strong enough. But in the portrait position, it really does struggle.

The tripod was really designed for slight cameras/camcorders, so you can't complain. But for a lightweight tripod and high shutterspeed shooting I think its ok. But for long exposures I would say get something else.

I made a slight modification to mine by increasing the thickness of the shim inside the grip to give me more leverage so that I can tighten the grip a bit more. Helps a tad.

Back