Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'm looking for a new tripod and need one for landscapes and wildlife so I'm looking at the MT055CXPRO3 and wondered if anyone has one and what you think to it.

Will it be ok with a 150-600 Sigma Lens and Gimbal Head too?

What is your budget?

That Manfrotto is well over £300 and I can't help thinking you could do better for that sort of money..
The WEX price is less than £50 cheaper than my Gitzo GT4542LS was - true it was on sale but still a vastly superior product for not much more money.

Have you considered a used tripod? Buying used would get you a much better tripod and could save you money. I am not knocking the 055CX series but there are better tripods out there if you are patient. The vendors on E Bay are asking too much for Gitzo tripods at the moment but look into private sales and camera shops - I picked up a very nice (older model) Gitzo carbon systematic for £100 a while back which was fine for any of the big white Canon lenses.

Reactions: smr
Hi,

I'm looking for a new tripod and need one for landscapes and wildlife so I'm looking at the MT055CXPRO3 and wondered if anyone has one and what you think to it.

Will it be ok with a 150-600 Sigma Lens and Gimbal Head too?

I have one, and am very pleased with it (@mickledore has one too). I chose it because I like the level locks (I just don't get on with the twist grips), I have a Manfrotto Ball Head and have added the spiked feet. It is probably totally overkill for my application Fuji X-T2 (no long zooms), but I can't fault the tripod (the locking plate on the head I do have issues with though)

I have the same set up as @Mr Perceptive mentions above. Very good it is. Very stable and easy to use. Good quality.
A word of warning about the ball head. We have both found that it can screw up tight without gripping the camera. I was lucky and got away with it but there is potential for serious damage to camera gear. I got round it by changing the top plate and now everything is totally secure.....operator error excepted!

I've had the MT055CXPRO3 for several years now and its never skipped a beat, good size and sturdy, if it can cope with shooting firework shots from a windy hill-side I reckon its a winner!
I did swap out the ballhead for a Manfrotto MHXPRO-3W X-Pro 3-Way Head which was much better.

I think the 055CXPRO3 is an excellent tripod. You know the old saying about tripods: you ideally want it to be sturdy, lightweight, and cheap, and you can have any two of those characteristics, but only two. I reckon the 055CXPRO3 is right in the sweet spot, to such an extent that it's the only one we stock at LensesForHire.

What is your budget?

That Manfrotto is well over £300 and I can't help thinking you could do better for that sort of money..
The WEX price is less than £50 cheaper than my Gitzo GT4542LS was - true it was on sale but still a vastly superior product for not much more money.

Have you considered a used tripod? Buying used would get you a much better tripod and could save you money. I am not knocking the 055CX series but there are better tripods out there if you are patient. The vendors on E Bay are asking too much for Gitzo tripods at the moment but look into private sales and camera shops - I picked up a very nice (older model) Gitzo carbon systematic for £100 a while back which was fine for any of the big white Canon lenses.

what makes this tripod so much better than the manfrotto one? I'm quite new to the tripod game, the only one i've owned is a manfrotto befree which is ok for landscapes but not sufficient at holding heavy lenses.

I have the 055 CX Pro 3 (previous version), it is fine with my Tamron 150-600 on a gimbal, so I can't see the Sigma being a problem either.

One tip, if you are wanting to also use the tripod with a different head with other lenses, try getting hold of a short centre column - I keep my Gimbal fixed to that, and my Geared head on the standard column.
I then simply switch centre columns to change heads, which is very quick and easy.

Current model short column https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/shorter-centre-column-for-the-new-055-series

Older model short column https://www.manfrottospares.com/055xccsb-centre-column--short-/

(Prices seem to have risen since I got mine, not sure I'd pay the list price for the new one!)

what makes this tripod so much better than the manfrotto one? I'm quite new to the tripod game, the only one i've owned is a manfrotto befree which is ok for landscapes but not sufficient at holding heavy lenses.
I have two manfrotto 055 models (not the carbon version) and I do not have any of the Gitzo systematic range. Where the Gitzo systematic range is better is because there is no central column. The head - whatever head you use - fits nearly direct on top of the spider. When you put your hands on the camera which is on the gimbal head you add vibration, the same with the wind catching your long lens, you need to keep the camera as steady as possible etc etc etc.

All except one economy model all Manfrotto and Gitzo Tripods are hand produced in the same factory in northern Italy.
The same high build quality applies to both. the Gitzo range are their top end products and have their own design team.
Apart from these niceties of design, either will serve their purpose exceptionally well.
Some photographers might, for one reason or another, prefer the more farm yard approach of the Manfrotto designs.

thanks for the advice guys, I'm a keen hobbyist photographer and currently own a manfrotto befree tripod which is the only tripod i've bought so I think a gitzo, and the money needed for one is a bit overkill for me perhaps. the manfrotto I can get for £300ish and it seems to be well received.

You are supposed to keep the column down not because it may collapse or whatever but the more extended it is the more it vibrates. BTW. If you look enough on internet you will find an answer to anything you want ... it could be a cr@p answer too.

I wonder why he pulls his column so much that it wears out. The mind boggles.

Last edited:

It is very subjective and down to your personal needs/expectations.

I had the original 055 CX pro and it was pretty good until I tried a Gitzo GT2531. Smaller, lighter and MUCH more rigid - I happily use the center column on mine. Unlike the Manfrottos the Gitzo tripods will support much more than their specification suggests, my (ex) G1329 was rated at 12 kilos but my 110 kilos didn't stress it (same weight as my Manfroto) yet I could push my 055 down with one hand. Then there is vibration damping (essential with long lenses) - here there is simply no comparison! Even the larger Benro/Induro and Feisol Elite tripods struggle against equivalent Gitzo tripods, and are more expensive in my experience.

If you live anywhere near Bridgend, South Wales, I am happy to demonstrate. If you don't then get to a good camera shop and try them out. You may have a heart attack when you see the prices but wait! My, current, crop, of Gitzos cost me £1094 - sounds like a lot of money! Remember though that this is for one Gitzo mono pod and 4 Gitzo tripods, the cheapest tripod was second hand, but all the rest were bought new from UK Authorised retailers - it pays to hunt about!

I don't buy cheaper tripods - because they are too expensive and compromise my photography.

It is very subjective and down to your personal needs/expectations.

I had the original 055 CX pro and it was pretty good until I tried a Gitzo GT2531. Smaller, lighter and MUCH more rigid - I happily use the center column on mine. Unlike the Manfrottos the Gitzo tripods will support much more than their specification suggests, my (ex) G1329 was rated at 12 kilos but my 110 kilos didn't stress it (same weight as my Manfroto) yet I could push my 055 down with one hand. Then there is vibration damping (essential with long lenses) - here there is simply no comparison! Even the larger Benro/Induro and Feisol Elite tripods struggle against equivalent Gitzo tripods, and are more expensive in my experience.

If you live anywhere near Bridgend, South Wales, I am happy to demonstrate. If you don't then get to a good camera shop and try them out. You may have a heart attack when you see the prices but wait! My, current, crop, of Gitzos cost me £1094 - sounds like a lot of money! Remember though that this is for one Gitzo mono pod and 4 Gitzo tripods, the cheapest tripod was second hand, but all the rest were bought new from UK Authorised retailers - it pays to hunt about!

I don't buy cheaper tripods - because they are too expensive and compromise my photography.

Getting nearer to deciding which tripod to get now. When you say you were able to push down the 055 with one hand surely that shouldn't be the case when the legs are locked?

Manfrotto 055 is a very decent tripod, though there have been different versions over the years and while they're all '055' they're in fact completely different tripods. Manfrottos have lever leg locks and they need to be adjusted for best performance - a little Allen key is supplied for this. They also wear over time and need readjustment. The newer Manfrotto Quick Power Locks are pretty solid, though they stick out a bit and can catch on things, and they close with a loud snap that doesn't go down well in a bird hide. Twist-collar locks are definitely better, but levers are quicker/easier to use and well up to the job.

There are better tripods, at a price eg Gitzo, and quite a few just as good for similar money, but the 055 has always been a damn good all-rounder. JohnF3F may disagree, but his experience it at odds with most 055 users. The guy on the video link needs to find something more important to worry about.

Getting nearer to deciding which tripod to get now. When you say you were able to push down the 055 with one hand surely that shouldn't be the case when the legs are locked?

Yes they were locked and it did take quite a push! The point I was (rather clumsily) trying to get at is that a higher quality Carbon Fiber tripod that is quite a bit lighter will do a better job.
Remember whilst your lens may be light it still has a rather long focal length so it will still need the same sort of support that a 500/600 F4 will. It is not the weight - it is the focal length! So a very rigid tripod that damps down vibration very well is the needed - I just don't think the Manfrotto 055 (having owned one) is the right tool for the job.

Just my thoughts..................

I have the smaller 190go carbon tripod with xpro ball head and no complaints of quality here!

Can't find the classified. But Wex have a deal on with the MT055CXPRO3.. a free MHXPRO-3W X-Pro 3-Way head. Good deal? good tripod head? £329

Can't find the classified. But Wex have a deal on with the MT055CXPRO3.. a free MHXPRO-3W X-Pro 3-Way head. Good deal? good tripod head? £329

It's tempting, that's a decent head, a bit heavy, but... The head is very important - it's the main user interface and assuming you'll be using this tripod for many years, it pays to get it right. Do you want a 3-way head? Most people prefer ball heads for speed, convenience, versatility, more compact size and lighter weight. 3-way is better for critical positioning. Your choice :)

Also, the Arca-Swiss quick-release system is the preferred choice. It's an option on some Manfrottos.

The tripod arrived, what a beast ! Compared to my first tripod which I've now given to my Dad (a manfrotto travel befree tripod) this tripod is in a different league. Very happy.

Just one thing though, I'm going to be on Holiday soon and was wondering if it's ok to use on the beach with regards to sand and if so are there any things I should be aware of in looking after it?

The tripod arrived, what a beast ! Compared to my first tripod which I've now given to my Dad (a manfrotto travel befree tripod) this tripod is in a different league. Very happy.

Just one thing though, I'm going to be on Holiday soon and was wondering if it's ok to use on the beach with regards to sand and if so are there any things I should be aware of in looking after it?
Use it wherever you need to. Thats what it's for.:)
Wash the sand off after use.

I don't know about carbon and seawater but the clips may have alloy and steel screws etc., you might not want to get those in salt water

I don't know about carbon and seawater but the clips may have alloy and steel screws etc., you might not want to get those in salt water
That's why they get hosed down.....:)
It's only the bottom legs that touch the water, I've never submerged the clips. I doubt they'd disintegrate if they got wet though.

Last edited:
Back