Manfrotto tripod tool or alternative

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive just bought a pre-loved Manfrotto 190 tripod and need to tighten a couple of the leg clamps. I need the star tool but cant seem to find one. The only one listed on fleabay is in the USA.
Is there a generic star tool that will fit? I tried my mates toolkit which had loads of different bits and none fit.
Is there something on cars maybe that uses the same fastener?

Is it worth you taking the tripod to somewhere like Halfords?

Between an allen key and a spanner/socket wrench you should have everything you need to adjust them but there's been a few different versions of the 190 over the years so which part exactly are you talking about?

Last edited:
Agree, its definitely T25. This is a small kit made up from an old Victorinox bit driver plus Wera bits for my most common needs, has proved really useful over the years.

32484407167_408fb4aaee_c.jpg

GC

Thanks all. I have identified a fold up wrench containing several torx keys for only £4 from Toolstation.

Thanks all. I have identified a fold up wrench containing several torx keys for only £4 from Toolstation.

As the question may come up again it might help with "others" searches if you posted the link to what you have you found that suits your needs?

Edit ~ I was quoting your initial reply post but your edit got included re Toolstation.......but a link to the specific item perhaps?

Last edited:
The tool is great. Unfortunately my eyesight let me down and its actually a rounded off Allen bolt so the tool is useless. Looks like all the bolts in the tripod have been replaced by Allen heads at some stage with this particular one being a mushroom head type. Thinks I'll have to drill it out and find a replacement.

The tool is great. Unfortunately my eyesight let me down and its actually a rounded off Allen bolt so the tool is useless. Looks like all the bolts in the tripod have been replaced by Allen heads at some stage with this particular one being a mushroom head type. Thinks I'll have to drill it out and find a replacement.
Older tripods did have Allen bolts, maybe they were originals, just not treated very sympathetically

Older tripods did have Allen bolts, maybe they were originals, just not treated very sympathetically

I suggest you contact the source I posted in post #8

Hopefully they can advise re Allen bolt size(s) and the availablity & cost???

PS without looking I think my very (?) old Manfrotto model 144 is held together with Allen bolts!

Last edited:
Back