Beginner Manual focus Zoom lens

Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I was just after some general advice. I have a Nikon D3200 and a 70-300mm zoom lens, I am playing around with the settings just trying to improve but one thing I really struggle with is manual focusing.

People always tell me not to use auto focus as sometimes it wont focus on a birds eye etc so I have tried to use manual focus and watched various videos on how to use it best. When I zoom in with my lens it doesn't focus and when I try to focus on something it just doesn't, I know to some of you I will probably sound a bit daft but I'm just generally new to all of this lol.

Is there any simple description on how to manual focus or maybe an easy video to follow?

You may wish to clarify which version of the 70-300mm lens you have. If it's the cheapest non AF-S Version (the Nikon AF 70-300mm f4-5.6 G, circa £80 new), it won't auto focus on the D3200, as this lens does not have an in built focus motor and the D3200 does not have a built in screw drive to the lens. It will provide a green focus confirm light in the viewfinder when focusing the lens manually using the centre focus point.

I'm not familiar with that lens, mine is the cheap one. Having said that, the auto performance on AF-S lenses is pretty good, I'm not sure you would gain anything by trying to manually focus unless the bird was completely stationary!

First make sure any dioter adjustment on the camer is set correctly to suit your eye

Nearly always AF for bird photography.

Nearly always AF for bird photography.

Would you AF for the photos of those tufties? Interesting really cos I always use AF when practicing but thought I was wrong in doing that lol

Would you AF for the photos of those tufties? Interesting really cos I always use AF when practicing but thought I was wrong in doing that lol
Yeh, they were taken on auto focus. The birds were moving about the loch and it's near impossible to manually focus the 500 f/4 while handheld. I nearly always have it set on AF and AI Servo for birds. Dunno why you'd think it's wrong to shoot birds on AF.

I think the O.P could possibly be confused about Focus points and how many to use, of course I could be
completely wrong.

If your using all the focus points you will struggle to focus on the eye, you would be better in this instance to use a single focus point and
auto focus.

Last edited:
I think the O.P could be confused about Focus points and how many to use, of course I could be
completely wrong.

If your using all the focus points you will struggle to focus on the eye, you would be better in this instance to use a single focus point and
auto focus.
Very good point. Also using selective points you can compose differently in camera dependant on which point you select. Dunno how it works on that there Nikon stuff but I assume it's just as easy as it is on Canon. I tend to use centre point or one of the two just above centre. These seem to be the most accurate on my current set up.

Last edited:
MF for bird shots, who on earth told you that :LOL:

If you have an old camera with a focus screen then maybe but on a modern autofocus camera, no chance.

Use single point AF and focus over the eye.

People always tell me not to use auto focus as sometimes it wont focus on a birds eye ?

are these people photographers ? - have you seen their pictures ? - thats awful advice, use AF and a single focus point and focus on the eye

Last edited:
I used non digital SLR cameras for about 35 years, all with manual focus.
With digital the camera focusing screen is different, it is extremely hard to get manual focus right, auto focus works well almost every time and it is quick!

Matthew, stick to AF and learn how to use the focus points selectively, as others have suggested.

Film SLRs designed for MF had big/bright viewfinders, the focus screens usually incorporated various aids (split image, microprisms), and some had interchangeable screens too. It's much more difficult to MF with the small/dim viewfinder of a crop DSLR, and these don't have the aids I mentioned above.

Most of the MF lenses that went with the older cameras also offered smooth, well damped, focus rings. MF is usually just an afterthought on a lot of modern AF lenses, and not very well implemented.

Cheers for the advice I will stick to using AF, not sure if I got mixed up (entirely possible) or if people gave me wrong advice I think it's most likely me getting confused lol

Back