Manual settings for external flash

Name
Karel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

I'm planning to wirelessly trigger a couple of external flashes to use with a light tent. I'm assuming you need to set your camera to manual settings since the automatic exposure system won't know I'm using flash.

What are the recommended settings for this scenario?. I realize they will obviously vary but I want something to start.:thinking:

Thanks

Karel

Start at something like f6.3 and 1/50 sec. Set both flashes to 1/8 power.

Turn up the flashes until the light looks about right and check your histogram. After that you can always play about with faster or slower shutter speeds depending on how much ambient light you want to let in creatively.

Have to start somewhere and that might be utter rubbish but it's what I would do. :)

It's like zeroing a rifle, the first couple of shots will be all over the place but in a very short space of time you will have the exposure nailed down. If you don't have a light meter then chimping the screen is the way forward.

chimping the screen?

Looking at the screen after each shot to check exposure, composition etc.

Apparently the term came about because photographers look at their screens and make 'ooh' 'aah' noises.:shrug:

As you will be using a light tent, I assume the distance will be short. So the DOF will be small. use an aperture of F22 or F32, using manual for full control.

You can always use that piece of string as your light meter for the flash.........true!

You can always use that piece of string as your light meter for the flash.........true!

True enough. Physics 101, double the distance between light and subject and 1/4 the intensity.

Back