Manual SLR

Edit My Images
No
I am thinking of getting a used manual SLR. I had a Zenit 122 (anniversary edition) which took amazing pics, although it did have a dark 'stripe' or shadow 1/3 of the way across the picture. It was stolen from under me on Brighton beach a few years ago, and then I turned to Canon EOS, which I never really took to. With the Zenit I loved the colours and definiton of the prime lens, and the manual controls.

What camera should I go for? There are Zenit 122s on ebay, but should I go for something else? what about the new Zenit 312 (any tips on affordable/cheap film processing are also very welcome!)?

Should I think about going digital, if so, what would be your recommendations?

Thanks for your help!

Dont go for a Zenith the quality control was seriously iffy,if you want M42 go to Ebay and get a full kit with 3 lenses for less than a ton,they are virtually giving away manual film cameras now

You could also consider the lovely Nikon FE - very well built, delightful handling and match-needle esposure metering (it pains me to say it but in some ways it handles better than my F3).

You could also consider the lovely Nikon FE - very well built, delightful handling and match-needle esposure metering (it pains me to say it but in some ways it handles better than my F3).

I only swapped from film a year ago and, one of the cameras I sold was a FE I had owned from new just after they were released.

strange opening post ,,,you want a manual slr ( film section of the forum ) good start we love em ,,,zenit ? well no not really ,the strange bit is the second to last line should i think about going digital ? well if you've thought that then yes ,,think about going digital ,what sort of photography will you do ,do you need a quick turnaround ? need to email pics without scanning etc .( pap) me pesonally id say get a nikon fm2n or an fm3a use film and enjoy ,,,oh and welcome to T.P

Olypus OM1 would be my choice if I wanted fully manual only, they are a bargin second hand. Personally I'd prefer an OM2 as it's got aperture priority for when I'm feeling lazy.

many thanks to all - I want to go down the film route, and you have given me some really good options. Have a great Christmas!

You don't mention budget, but if you're feeling spendy the Olympus OM4Ti is absolutely lovely. I was lucky enough to get one for 100 quid, but mint ones can go for much more.
It's got to be one of the best classic film cameras ever made.

That said, I don't want to encourage anyone to buy old Olympus gear because it pushes the s/h price up!

Woz, owner of far too many OMs for his own good!

Back