manufacturer refurb

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys as the title, I've seen a few canon refurb on fleebay at decent prices. I was wondering what exactly is a refurb? is it repaired and has anybody had any experiences buying a manufacturer refurb? :thinking:

thanks

mike

It's a camera that's been returned, either because it was faulty or because the buyer (under the Distance Selling Regulations) changed their mind. In theory they are checked over, any faults rectified and then resold, but I get the impression that most are just given a cursory once over without really being tested thoroughly.

Unfortunately most resellers can't (or won't) tell you exactly why the camera was returned in the first place, I have seen some refurb Sony dslrs with printout of what work has been done to them though, but in general you're just flipping a coin.....

It's a camera that's been returned, either because it was faulty or because the buyer (under the Distance Selling Regulations) changed their mind. In theory they are checked over, any faults rectified and then resold, but I get the impression that most are just given a cursory once over without really being tested thoroughly.

Unfortunately most resellers can't (or won't) tell you exactly why the camera was returned in the first place, I have seen some refurb Sony dslrs with printout of what work has been done to them though, but in general you're just flipping a coin.....

:thinking: thanks for your reply mate, so I guess it's a roll of the dice :shake:

Some resellers will happily tell you in detail about the history and condition of the item. My direct experience has been with Park Cameras and Calumet and I have been very pleased with their service via ebay.

Some resellers will happily tell you in detail about the history and condition of the item.

How would they, in the case of a "manufacturer" refurb, know? Unless it's a camera that has been returned direct to that store, or it comes with paperwork detailing what the fault was and the remedial work carried out then there is no way the retailer can tell you why the camera was returned.

i bought a 'refurb' Nikon D40 from Merchant City Cameras, Glasgow in [2009?]

mint - lasted several years - sold and still going well

How would they, in the case of a "manufacturer" refurb, know? Unless it's a camera that has been returned direct to that store, or it comes with paperwork detailing what the fault was and the remedial work carried out then there is no way the retailer can tell you why the camera was returned.

Good point! I think that's exactly what can happen. Many "manufacturer refurbished" items are in fact refurbished by the dealer with the authority of the UK distributor. The seller in these cases knows exactly what the story is. Some I'd trust, some I wouldn't.

The other way the dealer can know the story is when they have received a refurb from the distributor and have the sort of relationship with their rep that they'll get told the full story. If you have a question about a refurb, some dealers will go the extra mile to find the answer for you and tell you the truth.

Last edited:
If Canon are the same as Apple refurbs, then sometimes you might get one that's just been returned as the customer changed their mind.... not the same company but I've bought an iMac and iPod direct from them and they've been perfect.

At least you should get some kind of guarantee should it be faulty, rather than just used.

Thanks for all the replies guys, the seller seems to be 'Canon outlet'. I think I'll try and contact them to see if I get any details. I hope they come back with 'this particular model was bought, opened and returned immediately' lol I can dream.

edit: Am I allowed to post ebay links on here?

Last edited:
just be careful on canon outlet on ebay
ive seen bids on cameras that are almost same as new cost, and its easy to get carried away trying to stop someone outbidding you
ive heard a few bad reports about them, but also a lot of good ones
you pays your money and take a chance
i just got a 2nd hand 5dmk 11 from dale photographic £1395 and its mimt and when i checked shutter count it was only 446 bargain
shop around and you will find.
on this forum are some good bargains

If its the official Canon Oulet (run by digital river) then they are backed by the same warranty youll get with a new one. My original MK2N was from them and had 2 visits to Fixation to get a back dial issue fixed after which it was perfectly fine. My recent MK3 was also from them and had to go in after it died on me at Brands (although that may not have been wholly the camera's fault). Fixation fixed it under warranty and it all seems fine now. Personally i have no problems at all and both were a decent price. So if the price is right go ahead but expect to get it repaired and if it doesnt need it then thats a bonus!

B->

Is that Seller ID: canon_uk1? Whoever it is certainly makes liberal use of the Canon logo. The address comes up on ebay as Konrad Dobschuetz, Unit 153, Shannon Free Zone which gave me pause for thought, as did their feedback of 98.1% and some of the comments.

Is that Seller ID: canon_uk1? Whoever it is certainly makes liberal use of the Canon logo. The address comes up on ebay as Konrad Dobschuetz, Unit 153, Shannon Free Zone which gave me pause for thought, as did their feedback of 98.1% and some of the comments.

on mine it shows as ireland,

That's Digital River's trading address, they're Canon's official reseller.

yep that's them, I've just e-mailed them to see what kind of reply I will get.

This might be a bit cheeky but since I can't access the classified section but can anyone tell me if there's a 450d or 40d for sale :D

thanks guys

there was a 40d and a 30 d for sale yesterday
ill check again for u

low shutter 40 for £380
also 40d with grip 2 lenses lowepro bag shutter release 4 batts and more for around £650

I've bought a couple of things from them with mixed results. 2 cheaper end DSLRS have been fine, looked new, etc.

But have had a bad experience with a 1DII which I think was around £3500-£4000 (can't remember exactly how much I paid), which didn't work with majority of my lenses (inc Canon L lenses), kept displaying error messages and had the filthiest sensor I have ever seen. It said in the ad that it had had a full sensor clean, but there must have been several thousand (and I'm not exaggerating) dust spots on it. Had hassle trying to return it to them too, but it was about 6 years ago and I can't remember why.

Bottom line is I think they're probably ok for the cheaper end stuff, but if I was spending serious cash again I would (and do) go to a proper retailer.

Last edited:
I've bought 3 cameras, 2 second hand and one manufacturer refurbished, the manufacturer refurbished one is the only one that has not had to go back and have any work done to it.

I e-mailed canon_uk1 and this is their reply:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting the Canon UK
Outlet on eBay.

We do not have the information to why the product is
refurbished.

Canon offers refurbished products at a discounted price
through eBay.

These goods are classified as "refurbished" since they have
either been shown at trade fairs or have been used for other various promotional
reasons. Upon return to Canon?s repair facility all items are put through a full set of test procedures and have been approved 100% functional. All products come with a 7 days refund policy and a 1 year manufacturer warranty in addition to your legal claim rights of 2 years.

I might go for one and if it's no good return it.

Last edited:
Good point! I think that's exactly what can happen. Many "manufacturer refurbished" items are in fact refurbished by the dealer with the authority of the UK distributor. The seller in these cases knows exactly what the story is. Some I'd trust, some I wouldn't.

The other way the dealer can know the story is when they have received a refurb from the distributor and have the sort of relationship with their rep that they'll get told the full story. If you have a question about a refurb, some dealers will go the extra mile to find the answer for you and tell you the truth.

Well, not normally, the manufacturers normally have contracted companies that undertake their reconditioning work, in Nikon's case that company is JP Solutions. It's highly unlikely that a Nikon or Canon sales rep will have any intimate knowledge of the work carried out on refurbished stock, it's not as if they have any 'hands on' contact with the merchandise, all they do is take an order which is relayed to another part of the organisation who then deliver the goods to the dealer.

These goods are classified as "refurbished" since they have
either been shown at trade fairs or have been used for other various promotional
reasons.

They must do an awful lot of trade fairs, given the huge amount of refurbished stuff they flog week in week out :LOL:

this was the link i posted yesterday
ones sold for almost 2k and this was not far off and still 2 days to go
someone mentioned this in another thread

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Outl...p4634.c0.m322&clk_rvr_id=248587901824&afsrc=1

A few years back when I was looking at getting back into photography and especially digital I turned to fleeBay for a 'cheap' option. Came across the Canon Outlet and couldn't believe people were paying more for refurbs than the cheapest new price on the net.

I've also seen recently a second hand roller camera bag that went for more than the cost of it to buy new in the US (only sold in the US)given the exchange rate at the moment - there really are some mugs on ebay that think everything is a bargain :bonk:

Back