Maplin Portable Soft Lighting Studio

Just Dave

In Memoriam
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I found this and with all the lightbox posts lately, I thought this might be of interest, now half price, £9.99 Portable Soft Lighting Studio collapsible and comes in its own carry case, that help keep it clean, (y)

· For digital and analogue photography
· Lightweight and easy to carry
· Ideal for web page and internet auction product photography
· Tripod straps attached
· Folds into handy flat pack
· Extended size: 40(w) x 40(h) x 40(d) cm

Dave

Last edited:
Well found Dave. Maplin pull the price of this down to 9.99 quite often so if anyone misses it .. then wait a while and it will come down again soon!

i have one and its fun to use however a bit limiting!

Could peeps who have one of these already (or something similar), post a few examples of their work when they've used this contraption so as to give us noobies/novices an idea of what can be done with one of them. It sounds a bargain but if I bought one I wouldn't know what to do with it.:D Many thanks.

I'm quite interested in this too and would like to see a couple of samples and in use shots ;)

lenscloth2.jpg

IMG_8981-_Medium_-Edit.jpg

functional enough, i paid £20 for mine donkeys years ago but it is very useful for small items and messing about.

Being a noob and never having used one, could anyone suggest what lighting would best accompany this?

Apologies if this seems like a reall dumb question :wacky:, I still have a lot to lern and a long way to go! :shrug:

Hi

I found this and with all the lightbox posts lately, I thought this might be of interest, now half price, £9.99 Portable Soft Lighting Studio collapsible and comes in its own carry case, that help keep it clean, (y)

· For digital and analogue photography
· Lightweight and easy to carry
· Ideal for web page and internet auction product photography
· Tripod straps attached
· Folds into handy flat pack
· Extended size: 40(w) x 40(h) x 40(d) cm

Dave

Now I'm really fed up, my Lowepro bag free from Digital Camera hasn't turned up, I paid £19.99 for light box last week, and hubby slipped crossing a stream yesterday and hurt his leg, so can't go for planned long walk today and the sun is shining:bang:

Susane - Great picture, thanks.

functional enough, i paid £20 for mine donkeys years ago but it is very useful for small items and messing about.

Thanks for posting some examples Matty. (y)

Being a noob and never having used one, could anyone suggest what lighting would best accompany this?

Apologies if this seems like a reall dumb question :wacky:, I still have a lot to lern and a long way to go! :shrug:

Has anyone got an answer for Rob's question? I'm sure there are a few of us who are geniunely interested in some advice regarding this matter. Thanks.

Last edited:
img76723spm8.jpg

done with 2 100W equiv energy saver bulbs on normal desk lamps.

img76723spm8.jpg

done with 2 100W equiv energy saver bulbs on normal desk lamps.

Did you use blue daylight bulbs or just alter your whitebalance in PS?

2771549838_0c31baea11_o.jpg

Done with 2 40W desk lamps. I think they were £4.99 each from Woolworths and they came with little scew in spotlight bulbs. I used a black backdrop going from the top of the box in an S curve to the foreground.

2ADQ1139.jpg

Did a quick shot of my 20D in it yesterday. I used a flash off to the left for this one. Put the camera on a sheet of photo paper and off you go.:D

Taken with Maplins light box, Canon 400D, Sigma 50mm macro lens and natural light.

Flower-1-reduced.jpg

Flower-2-reduced.jpg

Flower-3-reduced.jpg

Heading over there Sunday. As said, can't go wrong for the price and will be very useful for stuff we sell on Ebay if nothing else.

Thanks for all examples and lighting answers. I for one appreciate the input and will soon be the owner of a £9.99 Maplin light box.(y)

With the lighting do you aim the lamp at the white sides or do you aim it directly at the subject either over the top or from the front?

Hi pleased if it was a good heads-up I've been and got mine, :woot: looking forward to seeing everyone's work

MODS

can we have a lightbox Board :D:D

LOL Just Dave ;)

With the lighting do you aim the lamp at the white sides or do you aim it directly at the subject either over the top or from the front?

Soz missed this I have got (blue artists daylight bulbs) or what I use for our tortoise vivarium bulbs) day light bulbs in mine a bit dearer around £14, but the results are worth it (y) not in my new one but in the home made LB

the bulbs are the same as I use when I paint my oil/watercolour paintings

Last edited:
Went to Maplin in Portsmouth this morning and bought one. Apparently I was the third person to ask for one today! So, come on, who else was in there today?

Picked mine up this morning. Now I'll have to start being creative!! :eek:

Soz missed this I have got (blue artists daylight bulbs) or what I use for our tortoise vivarium bulbs) day light bulbs in mine a bit dearer around £14, but the results are worth it (y) not in my new one but in the home made LB

the bulbs are the same as I use when I paint my oil/watercolour paintings

I just bought 4 blue daylight bulbs for mine.. but like a plonker I bought SMALL screw fit instead of just SCREW fit.

So if anyone wants them they can have them for £5 incl post

They've not even been out of the box.

Maybe could you get a converter Janice I know you can for screw to bayonet dont know about small to large though, or can you not return them to the shop

Thanks for all who answered my Q about lighting. I have been busy this weekend and not had chance to post thanks before now. I think its now time to order me one!!

I got one.. The first one I picked up in Inverness was opened and a bit grubby and when I asked if they had another one the lad serving said unfortunately no.. However he checked anyway without prompting and found they actually did and sent me of to the back to collect a brand new wrapped one.. So impressed with him :D

Did you use blue daylight bulbs or just alter your whitebalance in PS?

set whitebalance before the shot was taken. no adjusment in pp.

Mine arrived yesterday, just got to work out how to light it....

Back