March hares (Cambridgeshire and surrounding) locations/advice please

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, thinking about trying to shoot the hares boxing next month and was wondering if there was any advice as to how to best find hare locations nearby, or if it is just a case of exploring at dawn and seeing what crops up?

I am in Cambridgeshire and have seen that Ouse Fen near St Ives list on their website that they get March Hares - does anybody have experience shooting them here? Or have any relatively nearby locations (within about 20 miles) that have given good results?

I am still pretty much a beginner so I'm not expecting great results but any advice on what to do would be much appreciated, thanks :)

Having previously asked the same as a beginner a few years ago don't take it the wrong way if no one gives locations out on an open Internet forum. Sadly hare coursers do search photography forums so if likely no one will give out exact hare locations out. Several times I have been looking for hares and farmers have asked me if I've seen the coursers as they had received reports from locals.

It can be a case a looking in fields as you drive slowly around. They are most active at sunrise and sunset. Look out for 'large mud clumps' that move around. As funny as it sounds I've found several hares by spotting what I thought were mud clumps had moved location! Arable fields with a nearby tree coppice are good locations. The other thing is to visit the same fields more than once as it could take a few trips to see them. The other issue is many fields are private land so land owner permission is needed to walk around them if there are no public footpaths.

There are a few public nature reserves that have hares. One is WWT Welney on lady fen. There is no public access onto lady fen as is all fenced off but they did run hare walks a few years back.

Last edited:
Talk to your local friendly farmer, they will know and if you are genuine, they will probably give you access too!

Local Wildlife Trusts are likely to be a good source of information.

Go do your homework....

Last edited:
Rob - hare courses trawling the forums is something I wouldn't have even considered! I remember seeing that there's a significant problem with coursing in Cambs in the news a couple of years ago but that had gone right out of my mind. Thanks for the hint about not receiving specific locations though, that'll probably save me some frustration :) I've picked out a couple of spots nearby as you describe - fields with wooded areas - to keep an eye on so I'll try to scout the areas out in advance. I'll try Welney too, I haven't managed to get up there yet but I look forward to doing so.

Ian - thanks for the pointers, I can't imagine that trespassing on somebody's land and having them giving you an earful would be particularly good for finding wildlife... Going to contact Wildlife BCN too. Hopefully they can help me with the homework!

Thanks both again :)

Having previously asked the same as a beginner a few years ago don't take it the wrong way if no one gives locations out on an open Internet forum. Sadly hare coursers do search photography forums so if likely no one will give out exact hare locations out. Several times I have been looking for hares and farmers have asked me if I've seen the coursers as they had received reports from locals.

I am glad for the responsible advice given by Rob and wish that more photographers will follow suit.

Also be very careful with exif information specially with the newer cameras showing GPS co-ordinates when it comes to rare and endangered game. This new technology is making life very easy for the criminally minded like poachers and hare coursers.

Jon, I know of a place on a large private estate within 8 miles of Cambridge and if you are interested could introduce you to the game keeper, but the area is adjacent to a public footpath.

That's very kind, thanks for the offer. I actually won't have time to make it this year (work commitments stretching over weekends etc) but I have committed to going up to Welney one weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to get some practice in and take you up on the offer next breeding season! I really do appreciate the offer though, thank you :)

Jon, please double check the Welney hare walk dates, they are only ran until this Saturday and advanced booking is needed by the looks of it. There is no public access to lady fen where the hares are, the only access is via the walks they run as lady fen is fully fenced off. I wouldn't want you to have a wasted trip.

http://www.wwt.org.uk/wetland-centres/welney/whats-on/2014/12/27/hare-walks/

Oh right, thanks for pointing that out Rob! That's my own fault - did not read that properly. What a fool, I've arranged to meet a friend there in march but they won't be running the walks. I am quite enthusiastic about going to Welney anyway as they have some other excellent wildlife so I'll still go. To be honest I'm a beginner anyway so perhaps shooting something as tricky as hares is wishful thinking...

Back