Daily Marcus's 365 Challenge

Day 6: "Slice of cake"

Filler shot for today im afraid - with x3 boys under the age of 8, weekends tend to be very hectic here so grabbed this quick shot earlier as we'd had a birthday party for my middle boy yesterday (y)

Can you tell what it was? :D

Birthday Time.. by XFile2708, on Flickr

Last edited:
I hope that's a serious comment. Great shot btw!

Thanks Jake - considering this shot was taken in the Living Room about 715 tonight it didn't come out to bad given the light available.. From everything I've read on here recently I fiddled with the camera settings and refused to use the flash - I also went all OCD over the straightness of the cake edge - picking little crumbs off here and there to get a straighter edge.. :LOL:

x6 days in and this challenge is already making my OCD go into overdrive :LOL:

Well, I've found you and subsribed now - good start to your 365 :)

Having the lightbox will make things a whole lot easier for those rainy days. Trying to make everyday objects interesting is a challenge in itself :)

Well, I've found you and subsribed now - good start to your 365 :)

Having the lightbox will make things a whole lot easier for those rainy days. Trying to make everyday objects interesting is a challenge in itself :)

Thanks Sarah -yes the light box has been a savior so far - literally as soon as I started to do this challenge the weather has turned and the nights drawn in - just my luck :LOL:

Day 7: "Raging against the Machine"

Listening to some old school Rage Against The Machine earlier on cassette and thought part of the setup might make a decent pic for todays 365 challenge.. I needed to take this once it was dark to get the effect of the VU Meters - fairly pleased with it apart from the bit of dust I didn't notice till afterwards on the Input Level Dial :bang:

Raging against the Machine by XFile2708, on Flickr

Day 8: "Sangria"

Another still life for todays image - the wifes friend bought this back from holiday amongst a few other things. This was quite tricky using the light box as with x2 lights both sides were lit well but the front remained dark - this was the best I could get the front.

Any suggestions? (I tried a foil reflector, torch, mirror but all seemed to dazzle the front of the bottle rather than just light how I wanted..

Sangria by XFile2708, on Flickr

Hi Marcus, sorry I haven't been able to catch up with your 365 sooner. Looks like you made a great start and I'd be really interested to see what your DIY softbox looks like and how you've made it.

The light it creates looks fantastic but you need to be careful where there is a lot white in the image. The camera automatically assumes any image you take will be a mid tone (as most scenes are), and as a result you can see the background in the last image appears grey rather than white (you get a similar issue when shooting snow scenes for example). You can correct this by increasing the exposure (1 stop should do it) in post processing, but a better way is to use exposure compensation in camera.

I'm trying to find a decent explanation on the web, but the easiest way to understand it is to take a picture of something pure white (a sheet of paper or the back of your light box), then take a picture of something pure black. You should find, when you compare the images, they both look... grey! If you did this in aperture priority mode, check the exif data and you will see that the camera decided to use a fast shutter speed for the "white" image, and a slow shutter speed for the "black" image. The camera doesn't know what it is looking at is supposed to be black or white. It assumes any scene it captures will primarily be middle-grey and exposes accordingly. In this case the camera has underexposed the image.

Check out the below link. Ciaran is a brilliant photographer (warning NSFW) and I've learnt a lot from his blog posts on his technique so his explanation will be much better than mine (and anything else I could find after a quick google):

http://www.thewonderoflight.com/articles/exposure-metering/

I really like "The ultimate dunker!", excellent use of the gingerbread man with the ginger biscuits, and nice composition, however the colour balance is a bit warm. I would cool it down a touch. With colour balance I only ever really worry about this in post processing. You can amend it in camera, but if you shoot RAW it's very simple to adjust in PP.

I really like "Raging against the machine", very cool image (in a good way) and beautifully lit. I think you've already mastered Macro with your spider image, and you did an excellent job of cloning that background.

My favourite image though, is the first one! Mainly because it's a portrait, which are always interesting. It's also a selfy, which is even better! I would say it's a bit cold, colour temperature-wise, but in this instance it works well, being shot from inside a fridge and all. In fact, I love the deep blue tones of the light in this. Great work!

Very impressive so far. Hope you find the feedback useful, but let me know if anything doesn't make sense and I'll be watching this thread with great interest. Good luck and keep up the great work :)

Hi Tim - not a problem - really appreciate you stopping by and giving me some feedback (y)

I'll pop a picture up later of the Light Box to show you - it only took about an hour to make and cost around £15 total including the lights :D

On yesterdays picture (Sangria) it was the first time I'd experimented with the custom white balance setting on my camera and thats the whiteness it provided after I took the white image for it to sample.. I did try putting the 'Sangria' shot into Photoshop afterwards and applying 'auto levels' but the resulting image/background seemed way to bright.. maybe that would have been ok though?

I'll checkout the link to Ciaran today whilst the little-un is at school if his blog is NSFW :LOL:

With regards to processing, as im learning I've left the camera (Sony Alpha 57) at default which I think is jpeg as opposed to RAW. As time goes on though im sure I'll move into RAW as I've seen this is the preferred method by most people on here and seems to give the most flexability with your images afterwards (y)

Thanks for all the feedback on the images - its a big learning experience for me so I'll take everything onboard that you've mentioned and hopefully you'll be seeing me improve over the coming months with the feedback you guys give :)

Day 9: "Butter wouldn't melt"

A couple of portrait shots for today - myself and the wife couldn't agree which of the x2 we liked the best so I thought I'd upload them both for cc.. :LOL:

My personal preference is the 1st shot out of the x2 due to the shadow in shot 2 - be interested to hear what you guys think (y)

Lewis 1 by XFile2708, on Flickr

Lewis 2 by XFile2708, on Flickr

Last edited:
Finally been well enough to drop by here n take a look at what pics you've been posting. Liking the Day 7 'Raging against the Maching', re Day 9, though bothe shots of Lewis with his cheeky smile are good, portrait 2 just tops it for me :)

Finally been well enough to drop by here n take a look at what pics you've been posting. Liking the Day 7 'Raging against the Maching', re Day 9, though bothe shots of Lewis with his cheeky smile are good, portrait 2 just tops it for me :)

Thanks hun - glad to hear you're feeling better - looking forward to seeing you catchup with your thread (y)

So thats x2 votes now for portrait 2 - looks like the wife was right :bang:

:LOL:

Sorry, 2nd for me too - try and get him further away from the wall next time

Day 10: "Park Life"

Whilst out and about today we cut through our local park and found some lovely textures and colours all over the ground - so it would have been rude not to grab a few to make todays pic (y)

Park Life by XFile2708, on Flickr

Oh very nice indeed - most autumnal.

Thanks Sarah - was great to have such a good selection to choose from just lying on the ground (y)

Hey, hope to pop in from time to time, good start as has been said and also some great advice posted for you too.

Thanks Jeff - look forward to seeing you stop by again (y)

Great mixture of colours, good shot.
That's one of my 'Briefs' over the next month for college...capture Autumn as we see it.

Great mixture of colours, good shot.
That's one of my 'Briefs' over the next month for college...capture Autumn as we see it.

Thanks hun - yes going for my flu jab yesterday had its benefits with having to walk through the local park.. Up until then I hadn't a clue what pic I'd be doing for that days 365 challenge :LOL:

Works well, great autumnal selection. Your light box works really well for these sort of shots.

Thanks Jake - as promised here is a pic of the setup (y)

Its very spit and sawdust but as you can see from the quality of the images I've posted previously it more than does the job :)

Basically its a cardboard box with x3 sides cut out - tracing paper double layered to diffuse the lights - matte card held inside by the x2 small bulldog clips at the front so you can swap coloured backgrounds in and out as and when you want.

The lights themselves are just x2 cheapy desk lamps from Argos which were around £3 each.. All in this whole setup cost me around £15 to make and about an hours work :D

DIY Light Box by XFile2708, on Flickr

Day 11: "Show us yer compacts"

I was getting some shots today of my DIY Light Box and am going to be using this shot to create a new thread here on the forum.. so to save me messing around getting another shot for my 365 I just thought I'd double up and use the same image :LOL:

Show us yer compacts by XFile2708, on Flickr

I may have to build myself one of those, looks nice and easy to do! Where does one get hold of tracing paper?
Love todays shot too!

I meant tissue paper.. lol The matte card and tissue paper were from Hobbycraft - think the card was about £3 per large sheet - you can get cheaper but I paid the extra to get slightly thicker card - and the tissue paper was about £1 (y)

I meant tissue paper.. lol The matte card and tissue paper were from Hobbycraft - think the card was about £3 per large sheet - you can get cheaper but I paid the extra to get slightly thicker card - and the tissue paper was about £1 (y)

That will work for me also! Will pop to Hobbycraft after work on Monday as it's just around the corner!

Its a brilliant book Jake - all done by a New York Taxi Driver as he goes about his daily job and shot from the cab itself (y)

Thanks Jake - as promised here is a pic of the setup (y)

Its very spit and sawdust but as you can see from the quality of the images I've posted previously it more than does the job :)

Basically its a cardboard box with x3 sides cut out - tracing paper double layered to diffuse the lights - matte card held inside by the x2 small bulldog clips at the front so you can swap coloured backgrounds in and out as and when you want.

The lights themselves are just x2 cheapy desk lamps from Argos which were around £3 each.. All in this whole setup cost me around £15 to make and about an hours work :D

DIY Light Box by XFile2708, on Flickr

That's a great idea!! I'll definitely being giving this ago, think ill be going shopping to get the paper in the next couple of days. Can't wait to try it out!!(y)

Day 10: "Park Life"

Whilst out and about today we cut through our local park and found some lovely textures and colours all over the ground - so it would have been rude not to grab a few to make todays pic (y)

Park Life by XFile2708, on Flickr

Great colours in this autumn harvest , very well captured Marcus

Light box seems to be working very well. Like the autumnal still life.

Thanks Sarah - yes I've been surprised but really pleased with the results that have come from using it (y)

That's a great idea!! I'll definitely being giving this ago, think ill be going shopping to get the paper in the next couple of days. Can't wait to try it out!!(y)

Great stuff matey - let me know how you get on (y)

Great colours in this autumn harvest , very well captured Marcus

Thanks Vince - appreciate the kind words :)

Back