Margate to Edinburgh

Edit My Images
Yes
Tomorrow Son and I will be driving from Margate in Kent to Edinburgh, leaving Margate Approximately 18.00. Were not local to Kent or thereabouts/

Anyone here travel north by car from Kent northbound on a regular basis. I'm wondering which would be better, driving all the way up the A1/M1 north to Edinburgh or going via M6. Mileage wise theres not helluva much difference I'd rather stick to main roads instead of local shortcuts and get lost.

Not much point taking the camera cos we'll be too busy watching the road.

Cheers

Last edited:
Not much point taking the camera cos we'll be too busy watching the road.

Cheers

Watch out for the Cameras on the A1, as soon as you cross into Scotland it's revenue central. You'll spot the cameras as they are carefuly sited at all the safe overtaking opportunities :cautious:

Don't think speed will be a problem, it's a old camper van were bringing up. Still I'll need to keep the reigns on my son when he's driving :LOL:

id go M2-M25 then hit the M1/M6 i think the A1 is too slow at times..

Personally I would take the M6 over the M1/A1 - When we lived in Derby and went up to Edinburgh, we would always travel cross country to get to the M6 and go up that way as it is just so much easier (even though the M1 was litterally 10mins away).

That is gonna be one hell of a drive!! You plan on getting back to Edinburgh for breakfast I take it? :p

Been to Margate and returned safely this morning. Flew down to Gatwick Monday arrived around 2pm, train over to Margate after 2 changes of trains, got there around 6 pm picked up old 1985 VW classic camper van (good nick btw) had a meal and started driving back up to Edinburgh around 9 pm. Journey was tiring but not too bad a there were two drivers. Worst part was on the M2 Junc 27 was closed so we came off a junc 26 and relied on my son's sat nav to get us back on track...big mistake, it took us on the grand tour till we switched it off, don't ask where it took us cos it was dark and in the back of beyond;) Thank goodness for my el-cheapo navigator, 99 pence roadmap out of Asda;) I can laugh about it now.

Back