Mark Cavendish Cyclist

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Amazing to find out 5yrs after the event something... not really knowing much about road cycling every year my Town has an anuual cycle road race and a number of times over the years I have been down to snap a few images off at them
anyway this morning a local free newspaper came through the letterbox with a fairly in depth article about the Cycle race and how it has attrated 'star' names in the past and Mark Cavendish won it 3 years running

well I have seen Cavendish on TV in his Tour de France exploits - so delved into my Archives and lo and behold I have had a couple of images on my website for over 5yrs and never realised it was the 'Famous' Cavendish :wacky:

anyway this is as I edited it at the time with colour pop
38005806_p8ABy-XL.jpg

cheers
Chris

Nice shot but don't spoil it with post processing.
You should try a few stock agencies with the pics, now he is, (or was before he had his teeth done) the number 1 sprinter in the world.
I had a good search through some of my negs from the Tour of Britain in the 1990's as a few pre famous cyclists rode that, unfortunately no one famous in mine.
Going slightly off topic, wonder how many of these shots the world in we are deleting as they aren't newsworthy? The most famous one was of Lewinsky kissing Clinton, they went through hours of footage to get that quick hug..

Last edited:
whats really odd about this image is the fact that its the only cyling race I have ever attended and out of all the riders in about 6 different races the only one I had a fiddle with (colour popped) and focused on was Cavendish and until this morning did not even know he had ridden in the My Town race LOL

I know what your saying about processing but when done with the right subject - I like the look so I dont get all this (its spoiled the image) etc
from my point of view I went to local town race took a few snapshots for myself had a play about in photoshop and thats it
only reson I posted this image was because of the story along with it

anyway thanks for your input
Chris

I'm not usually a fan of selective colour but I really like this Chris.(y)

I was only talking to a mate the other day about you sometimes never know what worth a picture may have in the future. I was thinking of the shot (virtually the only one I saw) of the MI6 employee who was murdered in Pimlico, London a short while ago.

The picture had been taken while he was competing in a cycle time trial, I also wondered if the photographer had sold the picture to the papers (how would he tie his picture to the murdered man unless he knew him personally) or if someone else had given a print to the press who had then copied it.

I wonder if the original photographer is now sunning him (or her) self on some tropical paradise all down to the proceeds of that one shot....Anyone know the story behind it?

Stew.

Stew.

I think it would be a good photo in its own right, but I'm not massively keen on the selective colour. It looks like he would be probably picked out in the original by the focus and depth of field anyway ?.

I like the selective processing although a couple of the other riders still have a bit of a color cast to them. Great shot however, really nice expression.

Photographer was Kimroy, an event photographer who has covered cycling time trials for years. Nice earner for him and the agency who syndicated it, doubt he's on a desert island though.

I think the shot would be brilliant without the selective colouring, the focus is spot on and a great composition too.

Cheers guys.... I left a touch of colour in the other when I edited at the time and I liked it when I did it and still like it now LOL
by the way what has happened to Cavendish has he lost his form or something - I thought he was the best thing since fried bread at sprinting, has his era finished??

not being a follower of cycling bar the Tour de france Mountain sections
so whats the story on Cavendish at the moment
Cheers
Chris

Cheers guys.... I left a touch of colour in the other when I edited at the time and I liked it when I did it and still like it now LOL
by the way what has happened to Cavendish has he lost his form or something - I thought he was the best thing since fried bread at sprinting, has his era finished??

Cheers
Chris

I think this is a good capture that would work just as well without the selective colouring IMHO.

There's not much wrong with Cav, he won his last race a couple of days ago and he'll be among the favourites for Paris-Roubaix this Sunday. He's only one of a handful of good UK riders on the world stage at the minute, I think Geraint Thomas is the one to watch for future Tour de France winners.

Photographer was Kimroy, an event photographer who has covered cycling time trials for years. Nice earner for him and the agency who syndicated it, doubt he's on a desert island though.

Ah thanks for clearing that up for me Ed...very interesting.

Stew.

Cheers
Chris

Sure he'll be building for the TdF, still one of/the best sprinters around I think.

Is it possible to see the full colour version? I like the photo - the expression on his face is intense!

Is it possible to see the full colour version? I like the photo - the expression on his face is intense!

Just for you Jo I have spent most of my night searching out the original file and looking through them to see if I have any more with Cavendish in them
in Total I have 7 images but 3 are completly OOF 2 are pretty soft and non descript shots
the other 2 are pretty sharp so just for you
Cav in full colour
1249982510_eUe86-X2.jpg

1 lap later
1249978835_5HQwf-X2.jpg

after winning the race
1249975283_bfuSB-X2.jpg

1249973514_4MWzX-XL.jpg

cheers Chris

FWIW, the colour version is fine without the trickery IMHO.

DoF does all the isolation you need.

FWIW, the colour version is fine without the trickery IMHO.

DoF does all the isolation you need.

its all a matter of opinions Rob I like a bit of colour popping here and there and I dont subscribe to the view that colour popping ruins this particular shot

although others do... but to just blanket writing off the technique as ruining images I dont agree with

not saying that I dont like the full colour version though

anyway thanks for the input
Chris

As someone who likes selective colouring I have to agree with Rob on this one. You have got him nice and sharp with DOF doing the isolation very well, it's a great shot(y).

Colour version looks like a superb shot. Shame he was wiping his nose next lap round when you had a chance in shot 2 !

Buttkicker said:
I dont subscribe to the view that colour popping ruins this particular shot

although others do... but to just blanket writing off the technique as ruining images I dont agree with

I don't think it ruins this particular shot, nor did I say that, just that it doesn't add anything to it. The colour version does everything that is required to read it.

My guiding principle for PP is that any given editing choice should add something meaningful to the image or solve a problem that exists with the unprocessed version. If an edit does neither, then it should not be done.

Otherwise one's editing choices become arbitrary.

There's a place for colour pop and selective colour (especially in informational graphics) but not here.

Just my 2p. :)

It'd dead cool when you find Photo's that have people who were no names at the time who are now famous!

I'm not sure if you know but in front of Cav is many times national and world champion and double Olympic medalist Chris Newton and behind Cav is 26 time national champion James Taylor riding for the most successful cycling club in British history, City Of Edinburgh Racing Club.

Truly a star studded photo !!

Last edited:
haha, no drama's there'll be one of Sir Chris in there somewhere ...

Definitely looks better in full colour as well.

Back