Market Day/Street pics

Edit My Images
Yes
export2-4.jpg

This is what I thought was a cool scene at an outdoor market. I really liked the colors, but the lighting was not all that great. I would like to get into street photography, do you think I'm on the right track?

Thanks

Well it is certainly a good start.
The exif detail says you were in Portrait mode. This is especially set to throw the background out of focus with a shallow depth of field, for portrait shots (head & shoulders stuff mostly) I believe it used F5 in your picture. If you had used AV mode (aperture priority) you could have chosen a smaller aperture (higher F number) for more depth of field....ie F11, 16, 22.

I feel the figure in the foreground in black dominates the shot a bit....perhaps you could crop him/her out?

But a great start, it is a very interesting subject, street photography.
Hope some of this helps.

Janice

Lots to look at in that scene :)

I'd like to be looking at sharper detail though. I think Janice has identified the problem. Don't use those scene modes (unless you are in a hurry and really unsure) - you will learn much more about how the camera works with Av and to a lesser extent Tv. Try fully manual too when you have time - adjust aperture and shutter yourself and watch the exposure reading change.

Definitely a good start there.

the scenes great but dont be afraid to get close and stuck in. bring the foreground closer and try to get some expressions on sellers, customers etc.

Thanks for all the great comments! I saw the scene and wanted to get it so quick that I just grabbed the camera and started shooting. I've been playing with the camera settings, but I don't quite have the confidence to know where I should put the aperture and shutter, and still get a decent picture. I'm getting braver, though. As for the figure in black, I think you're absolutely right, I just couldn't seem to get him/her out without cutting major parts of the shot. My biggest concern was to get the colors a saturated as I could, without giving everything a yellow haze, but I also didn't want to mess with the orignal picture too much. Thanks, and I'll definitely get stuck in with the Tv and Av settings!

i like this Artie, nice mix!, though i think i would have waited for the old fella to scoot off out the way, he kind of gets in the way a little

i like this Artie, nice mix!, though i think i would have waited for the old fella to scoot off out the way, he kind of gets in the way a little

Thanks, Matty! I just started snapping pics to make sure I got something, and this was the best one. I've been trying to develop my eye for composition, but right now, it seems to be "take the shot, and hello crop tool!" I'm starting to see pictures when I look at things, though, so it's a start!

Thanks, Matty! I just started snapping pics to make sure I got something, and this was the best one. I've been trying to develop my eye for composition, but right now, it seems to be "take the shot, and hello crop tool!" I'm starting to see pictures when I look at things, though, so it's a start!

Sorry, my wife and I are both members, and the computer remembers the last one to log in!

Hello Artie

I have some affinity with anybody that wants to shoot people on the street ect. Shooting people is pretty easy, what is not so easy is making the photo say something other then i was there. Because you can shoot something does not always mean it's worth shooting

The scene holds no real interest for me, i see shoppers. It's a photo record, go back to the market you'll get the same shot every day of the week. You're trying to cut out small moments, that speak to you. You liked the colours, but the exposure is wrong, the colours are quite flat and dull. There is more to street photography, then literally being on the street shooting, it's a philosophy.

As for what setting, i always shoot manual. I doubt the light you get up in York's is that different to Manchester, and i can often be found in york shooting the street. I normally keep my shutter 1/160 and above. I tend to use ISO 400 most as the light changes so rapidly & i want the best shutter i can have. I simply change the aperture

Never be afraid to be close to your subjects, you'll have to teach yourself to be brave, but it will come even if it's not natural for you to be that confident, it will come

My advice if you really want to get in to it, is to research its history and philosophy, if you pm me i'd be happy to direct you to some great resources

Back