Market Traders

Arkady

Suspended / Banned
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
After a chilly and uninspiring start to the day in Aldershot, Minimeeze and I finally managed to get a couple of half-decent shots.
No prize-winners, though...

RKD060501010022S.jpg

and...

RKD060501010018S.jpg

First with fill-in flash, second without.

Both about 1/20 sec at f/2.8. It was a grey, grim day.

I rather like the first one. Although it's not something you'd want to spend a long time looking at. :D

The colours are definately better in the first shot, but I prefer the second just because it appears more natural - due to her not looking at the camera;)

Are these handheld - seem pretty sharp for 1/20?

dazzajl said:
I rather like the first one. Although it's not something you'd want to spend a long time looking at. :D

Eggactly what I thought...

:getmecoat

All hand-held. Mini wanted to bring a tripod, but I was firm and said no.
I posted these just to show the difference between fill-in flash and without and how it doesn't have to look artificial if flash is used.
Also to show the others here the sort of thing I'll be pushing you to do if I get these little get-togethers organised.
Lots of talking to strangers and setting the situations up, not just blazing away from 20ft with an 80-200mm.

yeah I like the first shot as well Arkady, she doesn't look too happy though. Do people appreciate you coming up that close and sticking a camera in their face. I'm guessing you had to ask first right?

Jewel

Absolutely - esp with people who may be doing cash-jobs and not telling the DSS about it.
One of the things I was getting Mini to do was to approach the subjects first, tell them what we were up to and then work round the subjects using different angles and viewpoints. And to keep talking to the subjects all the time you work - nothing more off-putting than a totally silent lens stuck in your face. Don't talk from behind the lens though, always remember to take the camera down for a few moments every once in a while.

And as long as you're up-front, most people are OK with it and you can get in really close with a 14mm if you want to, just ask them to stand still for a moment or two while you get the shot.

There's only one shot to me?

The chick with the eggs, (no pun intended). She doesnt look happy though.
Did you ask / notify them first, or did you just shove a camera in their face and chat afterwards?

Chat first. Same viewpoint to illustrate the difference between flash and no flash.

And she was bl00dy cold...

Just read your answer after I posted..

:whistling Have to be around here...:whistle2:

I think the eye contact shots can be very powerful, especially when you've had no dialogue with the subject. It takes a lot of bottle though sometimes! :shock:

I like the angle you've taken these at Rob.

good demonstration of what you refered to before

so looks like no clucking around today, getting Mini in and egging her on....

Really looking forward to the last weekend in January now...

Groan... these egg jokes are getting worse.

Many thanks to Arkady for a great day, inbetween all the :coffee:..hehe

For anyone considering going on one of the street photography days, GO FOR IT! He's a great guy - honestly

PS Rob - Just mail me the cheque.... :laugh2:

Catdaddy said:
Really looking forward to the last weekend in January now...

I reckon it'll be Covent Garden as it's a fairly benign environment with lots of traders and other types who are well-used to photographers hanging around.

We may then move to the South Bank for a spot of lunch.

Sounds good... South Bank might be cool, unless you fancy the Punch & Judy pub in one of the C.G. arcades... they used to do very good food...

We'll do a group average and decide on the day.

i know i know, really poor jokes, dont BEAT me up over it though

AAArrgh!!!

I'm just a shell of my former self...

are you gonna put any more of these pics in your Albumen?

(stop it now, really......)

lol @ Matty

i like the first one, its almost as if you had just approached and started snapping, id never have guessed you asked, after looking at that shot.

Ok, just to please Arkady :p here are my somewhat poor attempts (I didn't get any decent ones of the Aldershot market, so these are from Guildford!)

guilfordwoman050106.jpg

Also liked the natural look of these youths who were trying to work out whether they were being photographed or not:

guildford050106.jpg

Oh, and some dodgy bloke who kept following me around :whistle2:

rob.jpg

That last one is actually the best one! Very candid!!!

BTW, did you ask his permision first? Look like he could handle himself....

Oh the luxury of 2 cameras round one's kneck /jealous rant ;)

heheheh
Doesn't everyone have 2 cameras supplied FOC by the tax-payer?

Nope, just children.......lol

Wanna swap?

I've seen them...urgh...kids. Sell them to Gypsies, quick.

that last one of Rob is very good! Candid indeed!

Minimeeze, I love the one of the *ahem* lady in the red coat. That angle really shows off her facial hair :hand:

The shot of Rob and the lady are good ones, definately have a spontaneous edge to them.

Nice work.

Everytime I decide to have a go at candid or street photography I bottle it :embarasse

I just don't feel comfortable attempting it. It's probably a good thing that your not coming to the north west with your little workshops.

digitalfailure said:
Nice work.

Everytime I decide to have a go at candid or street photography I bottle it :embarasse

I just don't feel comfortable attempting it. It's probably a good thing that your not coming to the north west with your little workshops.

I know where you are coming from...
I spent today shooting royalty and she wasn't amused...

IMG_8801.jpg

Back