D
Edit My Images
Yes
excuse my ignorance on which! please see example

Attachments

• IMG_9881.jpg
    IMG_9881.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 126
Sensor dust. Time to invest in some wet cleaning or other form of sesnor cleaning equipment.

Bummer, thanks.

Can you recommend the best way, whether it be DIY or expert?

Google sensor stick. I use the wet cleaning method using eclipse fluid, from copper hill images. From America about $40 but the kit will do upto 100 cleans. No point in paying for it to be done professionally as it will need doing every so often.

if its a fairly new camera ,just doing a manual clean on the sensor would help ,go to sensor cleaning in menu ,then clean manually take lens or lens cap off of camera ,using a strong blower brush just blow air onto sensor to remove loose dust ,the camera needs to be facing the floor ideally with it held above your head level ,.do between 6 to ten strong puffs then quickly turn off camera and refit lens ,take some test shots to see if its worked ,if not then its a wet clean ,and thats easy peasy

I use a Lensmen SensorKlean - which is a dry sensor cleaner and I'm very happy with it, does what I need and no issues with it - personally, I'm not sure about doing a wet clean, so this works a treat for me (y)

Before you do anything, just blow it with a rocket blower! Most times this will do the trick, I'd only do a wet clean (or any clean involving contact with the sensor) for very serious dust which you don't have, otherwise you can make it much much worse if you've not done it before :)

thanks @odd jim and everyone else, i will have a go. im sure i'd be very good at making it worse if i did wet clean!

im sure i'd be very good at making it worse if i did wet clean!

Don't discount the idea though. I was really nervous the first time I did mine in case I somehow trashed the camera, but all went fine and the offending marks were removed without any trauma. Just research the proper techniques first so you're confident in what you're doing and all should be straightforward.:)

as long as you do it carefully the sensor is quote robust

Rocket Blow it first then take some sky shots to see if its gone,
I then use Lens Kleen swabs with the blue solution for a pristinely clean sensory for about a day LOL
The Lens pen is also good,
ALso Jessops do it for 20

Mirrorless Woes

When I say make it worse, I don't mean damaging the sensor, I mean creating more swirls and marks through the drying of the fluid, which can be worse then the original dust!

When I say make it worse, I don't mean damaging the sensor, I mean creating more swirls and marks through the drying of the fluid, which can be worse then the original dust!

I managed to spill half the vial of cleaning fluid on my swab (as opposed to the couple of drops they advise) the first time I did it and still got no streaks at all, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I managed to spill half the vial of cleaning fluid on my swab (as opposed to the couple of drops they advise) the first time I did it and still got no streaks at all, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Other people of course have had a different experience, a search on here shows that. Like everything, it's not infallible. But this thread isn't about the merits of wet cleaning or rocket blowers, it's what's best for the OP given his specific issue.

What I'm saying is - if you don't need to wet clean (when a rocket blower is all that's needed, as in the OP's issue) don't wet or contact clean. You don't need to. It's like deep cleaning a kitchen after you've spilt a drop of milk. Especially when doing so you can introduce another problem.

Last edited:
Other people of course have had a different experience, a search on here shows that. Like everything, it's not infallible. But this thread isn't about the merits of wet cleaning or rocket blowers, it's what's best for the OP given his specific issue.

What I'm saying is - if you don't need to wet clean (when a rocket blower is all that's needed, as in the OP's issue) don't wet or contact clean. You don't need to. It's like deep cleaning a kitchen after you've spilt a drop of milk. Especially when doing so you can introduce another problem.

No, I wouldn't suggest a wet clean as a first course of action. A blower is my first port of call, and is what I said in my original post in this thread. I was just trying to get across that sensor cleaning, while obviously a somewhat fear-inducing prospect if you've never done it before (it was for me, certainly), isn't actually that difficult or risky a process as long as you take care to understand what you're doing, and in the long term a much cheaper and convenient option than paying someone else to do it.

when i take the lens off/look at sensor, will i be able to see the offending dusty bits?

i have tried with the blower thing and what i think is the main offending beastie wont budge - does that mean its scary wet clean time

i have tried with the blower thing and what i think is the main offending beastie wont budge - does that mean its scary wet clean time
Not necessarily. Try a Sensorclear lens pen first.

Not necessarily. Try a Sensorclear lens pen first.

As Jim says - try the lenspen sensorklear - it's something I use and as I said earlier in thread, this was the main reason I opted for the lenspen was I didn't fancy doing a 'wet clean' and I've had no issues and don't regret buying it...

You don't need to have the angled version though - mine isn't and I don't have any problems...

Back