Marks on my filter

Edit My Images
Yes
Hiya guys,

I was hoping someone might be able to please tell me how I might go about removing some marks I've found on my filter. I think they would probably have come from last weekend when I was taking photos in the rain. I've tried polishing them off with a lens cloth to no avail, but I'm a bit wary about using alcohol to clean them off (which I do have) in case I strip away some kind of coating at the same time?

The marks are quite small and a little shiny. This is a photo of them (for scale purposes, this is a 77mm UV filter).

lens.jpg

Many thanks for all advice :)

WD40 is an amazing substance for removing all kinds of stuff, especially sticky label gue. HOWEVER, I have never used it on filters so do so at your own risk and don't come wining if the coating comes off ;-). If you were to try it I would apply it to a cloth rather than directly to the filter.

Failing that, what about regular lens fluid cleaner?

I'm sure others will be along to add their advice shortly... :)

Isopropanol will be a safe bet. It wont remove any coatings and will shift most oil / water based stains.

Whatever you try use a soft cloth or baby bud. Make sure they are clean and dirt free.

Sometimes I do think that people treat camera stuff as if it's made of ice.

It's a bit of glass and it's not going to come to any harm if you stick it in bowl of soapy water and rub it gently clean. just make sure you rinse and dry well so as not to leave streaks.

Sometimes I do think that people treat camera stuff as if it's made of ice.

It's a bit of glass and it's not going to come to any harm if you stick it in bowl of soapy water and rub it gently clean. just make sure you rinse and dry well so as not to leave streaks.

Remove from lens first ;)

Perhaps a small point but well worth remembering. (y):LOL:

If soapy water doesn't work try getting some Isopropyl Alcohol impregnated pads. You won't hurt the coating on the filter, unless the foreign body's have done that already. At worse, it's a new filter, not a new lens.

I wonder what they are. I got some weird spots on my car once, very small and gold in colour. I'd been in Blackpool, and they were painting the tower gold as a celebration. The minute particles must have blown for miles before finding my car. Fortunately they came off reasonably easily

Back