Marks, Set, Go!

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I wasn't sure if these belonged in this section, but this took a lot of PP so I guess it does :)

Two versions; personally I prefer the monochrome one, but I know it won't be to everyone's taste. I just think the colour distracts a little?

C&C very very welcome please :)

Anyway, my bet's on the Merc, though the Range Rover may give him a run for his money ;)

Marks, Set, Go 2.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Marks, Set, Go 1.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Last edited:
Mono works much better for me - I would also be tempted to lose some of the foreground and crop more pano

Stan

Cheers Stan. I did try a foreground crop, but I thought because it lost some of the empty road, it also lost the point of the image.

In fact cropping the TOP, to bring the toll booth canopy onto the third, worked better compositionally I thought, but it was a shame to lose some of the bridge.

Realy like this. Prefer the mono. Who would have thought Dartford tolls during the day could make for such an interesting shot.

Gives me the shivers just thinking about it. I have to make that trip far too often :LOL:
So did you get rid of cars from the foreground? I having a tough time accepting that there were none there as the traffic isn't backed up over the bridge.

BW for me btw....and excellent shot.

Cracking shot, love the idea, and the title really suits it well, again, mono is the winner for me

Great shot.
I think the colour one looks better

Cheers :)

Realy like this. Prefer the mono. Who would have thought Dartford tolls during the day could make for such an interesting shot.

Thank you, glad you like it. I have a site I have to visit often, very close to the bridge, and have been convinced that there's an interesting shot to be had for quite some time! Driving there yesterday the idea just came to me!

Gives me the shivers just thinking about it. I have to make that trip far too often :LOL:
So did you get rid of cars from the foreground? I having a tough time accepting that there were none there as the traffic isn't backed up over the bridge.

BW for me btw....and excellent shot.

Cheers Ruth. Yes I did get rid of the foreground cars (and added some on the bridge), which is why I thought it'd be best in this section. It took 22 layers to do it; there's no cloning involved, just layers and masks to allow the empty sections of road in each layer to show through. Also to make sure that there was a vehicle at the front of every toll booth.

I tried to remove the foreground cars using a long exposure and a 10 stopper, but there was so much traffic that you could still see streaks!

Last edited:
In fact cropping the TOP, to bring the toll booth canopy onto the third, worked better compositionally I thought, but it was a shame to lose some of the bridge.

I thought that, for me the bridge isn't really the subject of the photo yeh it gives a little more geographical reference but, I don't think the image needs it!
That is to say the foreground subject is strong enough to stand alone I think :geek:

Colour with the top crop but mono without. I think the starting line stands out in B&W much better than colour. I like the both though :)

Last edited:
I thought that, for me the bridge isn't really the subject of the photo yeh it gives a little more geographical reference but, I don't think the image needs it!
That is to say the foreground subject is strong enough to stand alone I think :geek:

Colour with the top crop but mono without. I think the starting line stands out in B&W much better than colour. I like the both though :)

Good comments, thanks Dayle :)

The mono edit of this reminds me of the days of old with the industrial revolution and the train industry etc!

Very nice shot, wonderfully focussed!

Thanks Alex. I thought it was important to have everything in focus from the bridge right up to the foreground, and I'm glad it worked :)

So glad you explained how you did this. My PS skills are close to zero!

That's a lot of work.... and it works!

The van towards the right has jumped the start :LOL:

So glad you explained how you did this. My PS skills are close to zero!

That's a lot of work.... and it works!

Thanks :) Re PP; don't know if I can do it because I enjoy it, or enjoy it because I can do it!

The van towards the right has jumped the start :LOL:

Yes but I decided to let him off, because let's face it, he doesn't stand a chance vs the Merc or the Range Rover!

Back