Marloes Sands, Pembrokeshire

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
One of my favourite beaches in the world - it's hard to do it justice, IMO. This was a cloudy November afternoon with intermittent sun, good for crepuscular rays but not so much direct light, and the sunset was a fairly quiet affair. Due to hiring the 10-24mm zoom for the weekend but stupidly forgetting to obtain a suitable step-up ring, my polariser and ND filter were not available, so I was forced to take a fairly naturalistic approach :) Some of these shots have been posted in the Fuji X-T owners thread, but others haven't, and one has been revised.

Unearthed
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Pools

Swirl

Grave

Eventide

I really like what you are doing here photographically, I'm surprised at no comments yet.

Minor, minor composition points with the second and third, actually standing slightly higher and to the left would have got an unbroken curve of water around the rock in the fg in the second and slightly higher and to the right would have separated the rock on the right from the cliffs edge of frame.

I like them all though, I think the third is the best processed, for me some of the blue needs to be taken out where you expect to see white (breaking waves) in most of the others.

How long did you hang around for after taking the third shot it looks about 30-40 minutes away from sunset to me. If you have time do not rush away but do take a decent torch pereferbly a head torch and beware of being surrounded by the sea.

The third is best IMO and would be been better with a shutter speed of around 1/30 to 1 second with a receding wave maybe an hour or so later.

Thank you both! I'm very grateful for this helpful feedback.

I really like what you are doing here photographically, I'm surprised at no comments yet.

Minor, minor composition points with the second and third, actually standing slightly higher and to the left would have got an unbroken curve of water around the rock in the fg in the second and slightly higher and to the right would have separated the rock on the right from the cliffs edge of frame.

Agreed on both counts! Not actually sure whether my tripod would have gone high enough, but in principle you are absolutely right. I can often be heard muttering something about "separation of concerns" when taking landscape shots. :)

I like them all though, I think the third is the best processed, for me some of the blue needs to be taken out where you expect to see white (breaking waves) in most of the others.

Also quite right, blue whites are a perennial bad habit of mine that bugs me once I notice it, although others seem to mind it less on the whole. The third is better because I originally processed it rather too warm in search of drama, and then pulled it back so that it looked more natural alongside the other two. Good spot, and I will reprocess when I have a mo.

How long did you hang around for after taking the third shot it looks about 30-40 minutes away from sunset to me. If you have time do not rush away but do take a decent torch pereferbly a head torch and beware of being surrounded by the sea.

The third is best IMO and would be been better with a shutter speed of around 1/30 to 1 second with a receding wave maybe an hour or so later.

The pictures are I think in chronological order. Certainly the fifth is the last, and the sun had set. I always hang around if I can, because blue hour is often the best of all, but on this occasion I could see it wasn't going to deliver.

I agree with you about the third. If I hadn't blown it with the step-up ring, I would probably have shot it at about 0.5 s as a starting point, with the water receding.

Alas, an hour later was not possible, as the tide was coming in like a train and I had to work very quickly each time I identified a possible composition. On a different day, tide and sun will come together better, but I was only in Wales for a long weekend. If I can, I'll go back in Feb and have another go. This place draws me like few others.

Back