Non UK Marra of the kech.

Name
Satz
Edit My Images
No
Team TP,

Off to Marrakech this Sunday.

Was looking to go with a guide around the city kasbah etc.

Hiring a photography guide to take me to the best places to get photos.

Anyone else used such a service?

Just don't fancy getting hassled by locals etc as I will stick out like a tourist.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
A local guide is probably near essential to stop the locals trying to rob you. Tourists are a crop to be farmed and harvested. Be very, very careful.

We spent a couple of weeks in Morrocco in 2019 and Marrakech is the only place I've really had concerns for personal safety when I was alone. There was an organised gang working the streets, and another couple in our group were taken to a house on pretence of seeing leather work, only to be held until they paid for their release. We also saw a couple of British tourists AND their Morroccan guide attacked by a shopkeeper in essaiouira, but I felt much safer there.

I've no doubt there are many kind and honourable Morroccans, but it can be hard to tell before it's too late. Make sure anyone you go with has some form of official accreditation.

Last edited:
Good luck with that :D a guide may make you more conspicuous. I didn’t enjoy the souk, too much hassle and even involuntary eye contact makes you a prospective customer. And that’s before I was tricked by the fake EXIT signs to lure me further in !!
However, it’s one of the few holiday destinations I’d return to, it’s not far from Europe but feels further due to the Islamic culture.
The jemaa el fna comes alive at night and the architecture and colour of the city’s buildings is beautiful.
For photography as you’d guess the light is strong so avoid middle of the day. I can’t help with a guide but other places I’d shortlist would be the majorelle gardens and the badia palace.
Hope you have a great time.

It's an incredible city to explore photographically, and a lot less hassle than might be imagined. A guide would probably help in terms of locating particular shots and situations, but this is in my experience nothing that you're not able to do pretty well with a little research. Bring a sense of good humour, and the exploring of the medina can be a great experience, the labyrinthine streets are a great adventure, and there's a potential shot around each and every corner. The discovery adds to the enjoyment of making the photographs.
The perceived hassle is for sure more than you'd get in the UK, but it is significantly less than it used to be, and has never been a problem in my trips through Morocco.

I loved Marrakech. Yeah, you'll get hassled. But just be polite, smile and move on. There are some real characters when you do stop to spend a few Dirham. Haggling is a hoot as long as you don't get too carried away. A lot of people in the souk dislike having their picture taken, others don't mind so much; just remember you're not at the zoo. I didn't bother with a guide and personally didn't feel at risk walking around in the daytime but would suggest not straying too far away from crowded areas at night. I even bought a rug from a Berber who masterfully tempted me into the 2nd story of his furniture shop to the room of rugs despite me saying I didn't want one. Beautiful mint tea, laughter, humorous insults traded in jest during our bartering and the best £25 I've ever spent buying a carpet I didn't want. Knowing or learning a few French phrases helps when starting conversations.

Remember to ask for their best Asda price!

Bit like London then? :)

To be fair, most tourist destinations are a bit like that.

All the other advice sounds good, plain common sense is the best tool.

Absolutely nothing like London, or indeed most tourist destinations - I've been to Zimbabwe, Jerusalem during a protest & Palestinian Israel, India, and seen much worse poverty, but never felt personally in danger before.

Absolutely nothing like London, or indeed most tourist destinations - I've been to Zimbabwe, Jerusalem during a protest & Palestinian Israel, India, and seen much worse poverty, but never felt personally in danger before.
My comment was based on "Tourists are a crop to be farmed and harvested." as quoted, the danger side of is a different aspect, and not having been there, would not comment.

I have also lived in and visited "far away" places, and enjoyed them all.

I’ve been to Marrakech three times and had very little hassle. I’ve never used a guide but I did actually write some tips on my last trip which was 2018 I’ve just fished them out so I’ll post below….

Street style covert overt shooting.

Make a big deal of photographing your partner who is stood next to the person you wish to shoot. Take the photo of your partner and then twist and shoot the real subject.

Similar to the above pretend to shoot something else nearby, that interesting wall or plant, turn around and fire at the intended target.
If you want some gorgeous ‘classic’ Moroccan architecture and interiors there are many upmarket riads and hamans you can wander around and explore. Some you will be able to access for free but should make yourself known and ask if you can look around. Some only allow residents and diners. We enjoyed a stunning lunch at the Riad El Fin and I was able to photograph it’s beautiful interior and exterior however the cost of lunch was my passport inside!

If your unsure just ask. Moroccans in the Médina can speak as many as four to five languages speaking very good English, excellent French, Arabic and Berber! People here like to be consulted and talked to, don’t be shy be bold and discuss what you can do, what you can’t, where you can go, where you can’t and what you can photograph. Don’t forgot your taking photos of people in their workplaces. If some foreigner turned up to your office and started taking your photo you may be a little cautious. So most of all be incredibly respectful and you won’t go too far wrong.

If your like me you’ll stick out as a tourist like a sore thumb and that’s fine, I try to do my best to stick out like a sore thumb as that’s the most I can hope for as a white man who needs a large sun hat, sunglasses and a mound of sun cream. On that note let’s discuss sunglasses. They are a bit impersonal and it’s much better to make eye contact with your subject or at least it helps when your apologising afterwards.

Any way back onto the obvious tourist. Don’t expect to turn up to a potential picture making scene and suddenly blend in. If however your prepared to be patient and stick around for a while, stand by that post or sit on that wall you will start to become part of the scene and if there long enough it will be others who will be new to the scene of which you are already part of. You can then photograph new comers to your scene as they won’t be so cautious of you.

Stand in a shop doorway and look out. The goods on display can nicely frame the scene and you can shoot people who walk into the scene. They will walk past oblivious to you. It helps if your partner has bought something from the shopkeeper!
Go overt. There will be many opportunities to shoot people who are working in the souks especially the tanneries, dyeing and wood working areas. There are numerous people, making tiles, dyeing cotton, doing carpentry etc. Ask people if you can take their photo. Most will say yes but some may ask for money. If your cool with that then pay about ten dirams, about 80 pence. They may pose for you awkwardly so say ‘au naturel’ which roughly translated will mean ‘as you were’.

Do respect respect people foremost and women in particular and people praying may not wish to be photographed.

If your shooting people’s wares such as blankets on walls or meat hanging up they will appreciate if you ask them first . You don’t need to and I tend not to but I will get picked up from time to time. In which case I simply apologise.

As for focal lengths of course this is very personal but my take is that I find 35mm-50mm perfect in the Médina itself, shots will be much better up close rather than sniping from afar with a 70-200mm.

Shoot from the hip. A small mirrorless flip up camera helps a lot. Or use a full frame like me and be bold.

Don’t expect to hit every scene you find. It’s a game. The fisherman doesn’t catch every fish and you won’t get every shot you see. Your success rate should increase with your confidence though.

Scenes often develop and die within a few seconds so always have your camera switched on in hand ready to raise to your eye, a wrist strap will provide some security. So many people have a camera on a strap dangling around their neck or sling over a shoulder. I wonder if they wouldn’t be more comfortable with the camera in a soft bag where it’s easier to carry, less prone to damage and just as easily reachable when you can be bothered to take a photograph.

Learn to pre visualise a scene. Seen a suitable subject but the picture hasn’t quite yet emerged? Pre focus on a spot near to them and when ready raise camera and fire.

If moving quickly set a suitable shutter speed 1/250 as minimum. A camera that can set a minimum shutter speed is really useful in this regard.

Listen., be aware of your surroundings. What’s that noise? A moped coming up behind you? Step out of the way, frame a shot with them going through it.

Find a nice archway, frame the shot wait for people to walk in it, a figure in a scene adds a lot. Look mildly annoyed at the person who has just ‘spoilt’ your photograph by walking into your scene;-).

Last edited:
Some first class advice team TP.

I'm not taking the wife with me as she's hyper vigilant and I generally strike up a conversation with every tom, dick or Mohammed. Much to her annoyance and its less stressful for both of us.

Think I'll stick with the 24-70mm lens and just go with the flow.

There will be a few trips we'll be planning so there maybe opportunities then to take photographs.

May try early morning when the kasbah is waking up and a little quieter.

Again thank you all for the tips, guidance and advice.

Back