North England Marshide RSPB Southport

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

New member here, so apologies that my first post is asking for help...

I'm wondering if around midday in early February (this Friday to be precise) on a day that's forecast to be wet and windy is a foolish time to visit Marshide with a long lens and expect to see anything of interest?

I don't mind using the opportunity as a bit of a scouting trip to prepare / plan for a return at a better time, but wondered if any previous / regular visitors had any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Doesn’t matter where you go you’ll always find something of interest , not been to marsh side for years , but it’s good for avocets in summer . And godwits .. ..
There’s always Lunt meadows as well quiet close at Crosby , and the red squirrels at formby woods

Well that was really interesting. Not what I'd envisioned (which was me getting close to individual birds and therefore wasn't very realistic), but large numbers of many different species (I was especially taken with the godwits) and, occasional moments of lovely light in between the wintery showers.

I went to Lunt's Meadows as well - I think I need more patience for this game as any movement sent birds in the other direction - plenty of birds here too though, including a lovely little egret and plenty of lapwings.

It’s a learning curve , you also have to learn fieldcraft , and what the birds do .they have a built in wariness system which is why long reach lenses are a must .

Back