North England Martin Mere

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

I have some business in the local area and shall be planning to visit the WWT site for a day maybe 2- on or around 18th October this year

Looking for info on the best hides to use please?

Thank you in advance

Les :)

NO ONE BEEN THEN???????:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I only go to watch the people :LOL: cause I hate that sort of 'nature reserve'. Depends what you want to see and what's about. The pinks will be back by then so the outer hides probably best for them and raptors, inner hides more ducks and stuff.

I only go to watch the people :LOL: cause I hate that sort of 'nature reserve'. Depends what you want to see and what's about. The pinks will be back by then so the outer hides probably best for them and raptors, inner hides more ducks and stuff.
I am in the area for a few day ( Business) so I thought I would nip to Martin Mere for a couple of hours one morning - The outer hides seem an obvious choice now- thank you for the input Dave :)

Les

I am in the area for a few day ( Business) so I thought I would nip to Martin Mere for a couple of hours one morning - The outer hides seem an obvious choice now- thank you for the input Dave :)

Les
There's also Marshide (RSPB) not far away which can be good for waders on the inner marsh and raptors on the saltmarsh if you catch it right. It's a place you can drop in for a quick look then head elsewhere.

There's also Marshide (RSPB) not far away which can be good for waders on the inner marsh and raptors on the saltmarsh if you catch it right. It's a place you can drop in for a quick look then head elsewhere.
Thank you Dave That's Brilliant I'll look on Google maps, as I don't know the area at all- I'm selling one of my .243 Rifle to a chap on the outskirts Ormskirk he will want to test fire obviously, so I'll be there for two days most likely- cannot really get DPD to deliver a high powered rifle :LOL::LOL:, so I have to take it in person.

I'll check the suggested RSPB site

Thank you again

Les

Thank you Dave That's Brilliant I'll look on Google maps, as I don't know the area at all- I'm selling one of my .243 Rifle to a chap on the outskirts Ormskirk he will want to test fire obviously, so I'll be there for two days most likely- cannot really get DPD to deliver a high powered rifle :LOL::LOL:, so I have to take it in person.

I'll check the suggested RSPB site

Thank you again

Les
Just heard there were 10k plus geese at Marshide yesterday, so they're definitely back!

Have a look at Mere Sands Wood too (also nearby). 2 quid to park and a nice woodland walk with lakes/hides. Usually plenty about if you are there early morn

Found it

Have a look at Mere Sands Wood too (also nearby). 2 quid to park and a nice woodland walk with lakes/hides. Usually plenty about if you are there early morn
Cheers Si- I'll google map that too

Just to echo what Ed said above really, Martin Mere is more of a family day out place for us. It's mostly wildfowl in enclosures, so not so good for photography as the mesh gets in the way of any low-angle shooting. The outer hides are pretty good for small birds and there are some raptors about but it's hard to justify the entry free IMO if that's all your after (albeit not an issue if you have WWT membership)

Last edited:
Just to echo what Ed said above really, Martin Mere is more of a family day out place for us. It's mostly wildfowl in enclosures, so not so good for photography as the mesh gets in the way of any low-angle shooting. The outer hides are pretty good for small birds and there are some raptors about but it's hard to justify the entry free IMO if that's all your after (albeit not an issue if you have WWT membership)
I have been a WWT member for many years my local haunt is Slimbridge some 60 miles away :) - But as I said I have business in the area hence my wanting info on Martin Mere etc
Another good option is Lunt Meadows which isn't so far from Ormskirk but heading in the other direction

Thank you Si that is 4 area's I have to look at now

Back