Martin Parr love or hate?

• love

Votes: 48 63.2%
  • hate

Votes: 28 36.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could say the same, people are forever taking me up wrong. I know this, but they'll say "yeah, whatever" when I try state the fact I wasn't trying to be rowdy. As you say, the original intended tone of a post goes missing in text, and can be taken up any way the reader wishes.

Anyway, this isn't worth anyone getting heated up about. Some like, some don't ... the thread title posed the question "love or hate?" after all.

99% of what I say is tongue in cheek so nothing extraordinary about it whatseover. This is the fundamental problem with internet forums as a communication device, the intent or tone of what I write is missing - unless I go down the smileytastic route of course.

Context is king. Now that I know ^^this^^ ..

Love how some of you take almost everything posted on here so very personally. I don't think I've ever been on a more uptight forum.

Hope that is not aimed at me

.. is comedy gold (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, this isn't worth anyone getting heated up about. Some like, some don't ... the thread title posed the question "love or hate?" after all.

Agree. However I neither love or hate it so can't vote. Need to point out that "I get it" though of course.

So that's the way these things are measured? If you don't like it it's crap.
Well.. I don't like your work.. so it's crap then.

Ok.. I get how that works now .. thanks :)

Yep that's how it works - and you're fine to hate anything I've ever or will ever produce (y)

There's loads of stuff I don't like, but I still think is brilliant. Maybe I just have an imagination.

Nope - you're just too arty for words :LOL:

It's OK.. we've been laughing at certain types of work for years... I suppose it's only fair you get a look in :)

I thought you arty-types frowned on such - perhaps you're more normal than I previously thought :D

Dave

You say SOME people take things too personally, and Chris asks if that's directed at him. Never mind :)

Nah, I get ya, did you not click the link? :D It was just a good excuse to use that, love that scene!

Just to add, I didn't vote either ;)

Last edited:
How can one person in a thread say they don't like Parr's work, and therefore it's crap... and that's fine... then if I say I don't like someone's work... and therefore determining it must also be crap by those same standards be not?

Have you ever considered that I DON'T think DGs work is crap at all (even though I don't like it), and I was actually highlighting the stupidity of his statement (that not liking something makes it crap)?

No.. didn't think so.

Well I certainly didn't/don't take offense at anything here bud - I thought we were all just having some playful banter :shrug:

Colin's just got his serious head on today :D

Dave

I wondered how only 44 people had voted but there was 5 pages of discussion, seems like it's mostly bickering and name calling rather than discussion though.

Still, the vote's going in Parr's favour which really surprised me so that's good.

Nah, I get ya, did you not click the link? :D It was just a good excuse to use that, love that scene!
AHHHHH!!!! :LOL:
Still, the vote's going in Parr's favour which really surprised me so that's good.

The vote isn't representative, as the pages of conversation should have made clear. Many of us are passionately indifferent towards Parr's work, and can only abstain from voting at all. :shrug:

AHHHHH!!!! :LOL:

The vote isn't representative, as the pages of conversation should have made clear. Many of us are passionately indifferent towards Parr's work, and can only abstain from voting at all. :shrug:

I'm passionately indifferent to all modern political options in the UK.

We still have a prime minister (who I didn't vote for).

And a coalition (which nobody voted for).

The option to spoil the ballot paper in this poll is missing, then. :)

Dig a lot, don't dig a little!

After seeing Capt. Penguin;s glass slides finds, these will be appreciated a lot in time to come!

I'd put myself in the "like the odd shot" catagory while not being a massive fan of his overall style.

Personally though I'd say my frusration with this kind of work and indeed much of modern art isnt that I dislike it all or indeed believe my dislike alone is final judgement but rather than it seems to be held above a more tradisional aesthetic.

I quite like some of his work but to me Greyson Perry fits nicely into many modern artsists for me, I find his views on art and society much more interesting than his art. I spose that says something about the relationship between art and art criticism that I'm not smart enough to comment on. :LOL:

I wondered how only 44 people had voted but there was 5 pages of discussion, seems like it's mostly bickering and name calling rather than discussion though.

Its the love/hate option that's at fault - most would go for another option of... Don't care, does nothing for me

So although I'd tick that option I'm not going to tick 'Hate', cos I don't

Dave

I quite like some of his work but to me Greyson Perry fits nicely into many modern artsists for me, I find his views on art and society much more interesting than his art. I spose that says something about the relationship between art and art criticism that I'm not smart enough to comment on. :LOL:

I think the fact that Grayson has what you feel are interesting views on art and society (I do too) is not because he is an artist but just happens to be an artist.

Just as someone working in IT may have interesting views on art and society, only the IT person doesn't get known publicly through his IT skills to give themself a stage for their opinions (and rightly so as IT is so dull!)

There is no middle ground option in your poll, simply a "love" "hate" choice, which is the same as saying - "you are either with us or against us", a debating style which ignores the possibilities of a balanced vote.
So for that reason, I did not vote - I am out;)

It is, you and a few others who cannot just accept other's opinions. So what others think it's crap? No reason to call them ignorant for it, is there?

But look what happens when I say that I don't like a forum member's work, and simply use that same logic to say that therefore it's crap.. LOL You get moderators threatening you, as usual.

If I did what others are doing in here to a forum member in a crit session all hell would let loose.

Try it yourselves. Tell someone you don't like their work and therefore it's crap.. in any thread you like... you'll get "time off". You can say it about Martin Parr though. Yet is I so much as post a photo of Parr's in this thread to illustrate a point, I'll get the very same people saying "You can't post other people's photographs... it's an infringement of copyright, and it's not fair". Slag them off as much as you like publicly though... LOL

Double standards and hypocrisy. :)

Actually.. I just think this thread is funny... but that's a serious point above. Let's be "nice" to each other in here, but anyone famous or well known... sod it... the gloves are off.

The poll is nothing to do with brianwar btw. Seems to be just another ranter.

But look what happens when I say that I don't like a forum member's work, and simply use that same logic to say that therefore it's crap.. LOL You get moderators threatening you, as usual.

If I did what others are doing in here to a forum member in a crit session all hell would let loose.

Try it yourselves. Tell someone you don't like their work and therefore it's crap.. in any thread you like... you'll get "time off". You can say it about Martin Parr though. Yet is I so much as post a photo of Parr's in this thread to illustrate a point, I'll get the very same people saying "You can't post other people's photographs... it's an infringement of copyright, and it's not fair". Slag them off as much as you like publicly though... LOL

Actually.. I just think this thread is funny... but that's a serious point above. Let's be "nice" to each other in here, but anyone famous or well known... sod it... the gloves are off.

Yet it's ok for the OP to ask us if we Hate Parr, but we aren't allowed to say we think his work is crap, very few people seem to have picked up on this point

I'm sure you'd get the same response from the Mods if you told someone you hated them in the Crit section because you didn't like their work

the majority of this thread is arty farty people going on about "not getting art" not people giving CC to someone elses work. Saying you like someones photos or saying you are not impressed when someone is a so called "famous photographer" is not the same as discussing a members back catalogue.

These photographers are in the public eye and as such are different. The mods where not using double standards you were just not following the rules.

I await your random pointless rant reply :wave:

You have to take Parr in context of when he started, his early work was pretty much like a lot of other photographers of the time, b/w documentary.
In the 80's his style while not new, was revolutionary compared to other photographers of the time.

Paul Graham started the UK revolution with his book on the A1 in 1982/3, probably one of the most important photography books of all time.
Colour documentary photography wasn't really taken seriously until this book, it changed the way documentary photographers looked at the world.

Around the same time Parr was still shooting in b/w (bad weather) then the last resort came along and the rest is history.
The work of Paul Rees and Anna Fox also contributed to the new British documentary movement.

I really like his work in the 70's/80's/90's, wasn't that keen on the ringflash/macro period.
Problem is, for his style, Instagram and Flickr came along and most of the work was copied over and over again, devaluing the quality of his work.

Someone at the top of their game will always be heavily criticised, I think though, without him photography would probably be very different today.

I think he is a love/hate character so i purposely only gave 2 options. There is only been a few indifferent and you just don't need to vote. I'm glad most love him however.

I think sometimes people can be of the assumption that parr, hirst etc... do what the do because they can't do it any other way. I'm sure both have the talent to to knock out a brilliant traditional landscape if they wanted to, but that wouldn't challenge or interest them.

Surely this is what art is all about? If you are indifferent, its not doing its job. Creating lively debates like this one is what its all about.

Last edited:

You forgot jealousy and lack of understanding of the modern photographic market.

And how often does being "nice" ever result in creative - like actually creative, not just "nice lighting etc" - criticism?

Last edited:
I think sometimes people can be of the assumption that parr, hirst etc... do what the do because they can't do it any other way. I'm sure both have the talent to to knock out a brilliant traditional landscape if they wanted to, but that wouldn't challenge or interest them.

Surely this is what art is all about? If you are indifferent, its not doing its job. Creating lively debates like this one is what its all about.

Very well said

You forgot jealousy and lack of understanding of the modern photographic market.

I don't think one person in this thread is jealous, and that's arrogant to say they lack understanding. I think people should just stick to their own opinion at times and stop trying to put others down for theirs.

Again, why do some get defensive about stuff that has zero to do with them?

Its worse than United fans getting sore about ABUs

Seen him before. I've clicked hate but that's a bit strong as only I don't like his work. I consider them snapshots which most could have taken.

But...... he's famous, obviously successful and as commented above surely a great guy so don't hate him and take my hat off to him for taking very average work and building a big career on it. Reminds me of some of our local wedding and portrait photographers here in Bucks.... :exit:

I think the fact that Grayson has what you feel are interesting views on art and society (I do too) is not because he is an artist but just happens to be an artist.

Just as someone working in IT may have interesting views on art and society, only the IT person doesn't get known publicly through his IT skills to give themself a stage for their opinions (and rightly so as IT is so dull!)

If anything I'd say the reverse, he's more a social commentator who happens to be at artist.

It seems to me that with many modern artsist your not just dealing with the art alone but an overall persona and set of views that the work art is but a part of.

the majority of this thread is arty farty people going on about "not getting art" not people giving CC to someone elses work. Saying you like someones photos or saying you are not impressed when someone is a so called "famous photographer" is not the same as discussing a members back catalogue.

These photographers are in the public eye and as such are different. The mods where not using double standards you were just not following the rules.

Yes it is lol

I think it's funny that modern art, which at its inception was a response/reaction to photography, has now been usurped by the very thing it set out to be different from. :D And I think it's hilarious that people are still falling for it. :LOL:

If anything I'd say the reverse, he's more a social commentator who happens to be at artist.

It seems to me that with many modern artist your not just dealing with the art alone but an overall persona and set of views that the work art is but a part of.

(y) I like this comment and I agree, just part of the whole. It looks reversed to me also....I see his stuff like artist who comments via the medium of photography, but only because that's been his tool of choice before hand and hes good at it....why start sculpting with ugly clumsy bows when you can find ease of flow with well practised tools.

I think it's funny that modern art, which at its inception was a response/reaction to photography, has now been usurped by the very thing it set out to be different from. :D And I think it's hilarious that people are still falling for it. :LOL:

Im such a sucker... :D

Feels good though. ;)

Saying you like someones photos or saying you are not impressed when someone is a so called "famous photographer" is not the same as discussing a members back catalogue.

Yes, it is... it's exactly the same! The only difference is one is on here, so you may actually have to face teh person who's work you are panning, and the other is a safe option, because, so far as we know, Martin Parr isn't a forum member.

No other difference.

Anyone who posts anything on the internet is in the public eye :) have you not realised that? Absolutely anyone can see anything you post, and can comment on it any time they like.

Fine.... if you think common sense is pointless.

Yet it's ok for the OP to ask us if we Hate Parr, but we aren't allowed to say we think his work is crap, very few people seem to have picked up on this point

You can HATE his work all you want... that is not the same as dismissing it as crap though. I HATE jazz music, but I'm not stupid enough to think it's crap... as saying that makes me look like a luddite.. as it's clearly not: Millions of people love jazz, and clearly it's not crap.. I just happen to hate it.

It's a simple distinction to make, and I'm surprised you all aren't getting it if I'm honest.

I'm sure you'd get the same response from the Mods if you told someone you hated them in the Crit section because you didn't like their work

You probably would. I assume however, as no one in here actually knows Martin Parr, that he meant hating the work, not the person.

I think it's funny that modern art, which at its inception was a response/reaction to photography,

No it wasn't :) It was rebelling against traditional art (and at the time, traditional art dismissed photography utterly as an art form) "Modern Art" stems from Fauvism, and has it's roots clearly in a rebellion against Pictorialism. "Modern Art" dates back to the early 19h century with Expressionism and Fauvism... it's not actually modern at all.

Modern art is not one movement. It started with Impressionism, then expressionism, fauvism, surrealism, cubism and Dada. It's always been a reaction to established art forms or a reaction to totalitarianism, and utterly rejects formality, and when the modern art movements formed, photography was seen as nothing more than a curiosity, or at best an artless, scientific process to record things. It wasn't until early pioneers like Atget, towards the end of the 19th century started to create stuff that set photography aside as a separate art form in it's own right did people start to acknowledge photography properly. Even very early pioneers like Cameron were only really replicating stuff seen in Carravagio or Corregio paintings. It took photography a good 70 years to find it's feet and start to be recognised as art.

Prior to that "art" photography was nothing more than a heavily criticised facsimile of tired pictorial painting. Any "arty farty" types, as you put it, during the period of the "inception" of modern art would have decried photography as not being art at all. In that respect, photography had more in common with modern art than established, more formal art of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back