Martin Parr on the sofa with...

Care to summarize? I haven't got the energy for an hour and a half podcast :)
Hmmm.

As I saw it he sees his photographs (prints) are a commodity which people buy as much to let others know how much they can spend on a wall decoration as because they like the pictures. Check out his website and prices. They will probably tell you enough.

On the positive side he does use his position and influence to generate a lot of money for good causes. Not enough to my mind to balance his f*****g awful photographs and money motivated 'practice' though. :D

Blimey, have looked at her stuff and it is very good....and she's quite tolerable on the pretentiousness scale, too!

Blimey, have looked at her stuff and it is very good....and she's quite tolerable on the pretentiousness scale, too!
I've been keeping an eye on her work since the Shot at Dawn pictures. (y)

Good work and powerful but I do wish that one day he would talk to someone who takes nice merry colour photos of happy good-looking rich people :)

OK that's a tease but it sort of harks to tragedy being a whole heap easier to do than comedy.....

Last edited:
You are right on the merry and colourful, which is a good start...and I agree at his best he has an amazing eye...

It's just a minor bugbear of mine, so much documentary stuff is misery memoir. I know the campaigning needs to be done, but....just my angle on it....

It's just a minor bugbear of mine, so much documentary stuff is misery memoir. I know the campaigning needs to be done, but....just my angle on it....
Maybe you're not looking in the right places? To pick two 'big names' Homer Sykes and David Hurn have a more celebratory take on many things.

Interview with MP in the Graun. I wasn't aware he's been undergoing chemo and is currenlty less mobile than he'd like. I can imagine him enjoying using a mobility scooter while taking photos though! Hoping he is soon back on his feet.

I had the good fortune to meet John Bulmer in 2013. He invited our Camera Club to visit his home and allowed us full access to his house, stables and grounds. He even arranged some demonstrations. A thoroughly nice person who gave us an excellent day out. As well as hearing about his photography we were also able to see his wife who is a very skilled sculptor and they has several or her works displayed in the grounds. Below is a shot of John demonstrating his trotting skills.
Country Ride.jpg

Dave

I vaguely recall seeing something about her Morecambe exhibition but it slipped my mind and wish I had gone to see it now.

I got the book/catalogue and thought it was a bit patchy and not enough of it. https://www.martinparrfoundation.org/product/made-out-of-orchards-signed/

I missed her Morecambe Bay fishing exhibition in Lancaster but I think there is a book in production. What I've seen of that work on Twitter has looked good.
I would have liked to see this too as not too far to travel.
but I rarely see publicity for photography exhibitions.
Do you know of any resources online that set out a calendar of events?

I would have liked to see this too as not too far to travel.
but I rarely see publicity for photography exhibitions.
Do you know of any resources online that set out a calendar of events?
No. I just follow people/venues on Twitter and check websites now and then.

I vaguely recall seeing something about her Morecambe exhibition but it slipped my mind and wish I had gone to see it now.
I kept meaning to go but never got round to it. As is usually the case for me with exhibitions.

But he also has incredible drive and determination to succeed. Maybe both are needed to be successful?
I reckon so. Martin Parr says you also have to be obsessed to succeed.

I'm a great believer in luck and chance - but it isn't something to rely on. Ed Smith's book, Luck: What It Means and Why It Matters, is a favourite of mine. Must read it again..

Is that Ed Smith the cricketer?

And to add to luck and determination, a smidgeon of talent. But not always......... :naughty:
It is he. I enjoyed another book of his too - What sport tells us about life.

The talent bit is often the least important element in success - or certainly recognition!

My tutor told me that the art world is no place for shy retiring violets. Self-promotion and networking is what it's all about. ;)

Last edited:
I'll have to look out for one of Ed Smith's books. As a cricket follower myself it should be an interesting read. Which would you recommend that is not *too* cricket/sport dominated?
It's a while since I read them but I'd start with Luck. Used copies are dirt cheap.

I think that 'influence' is massively important in art, which of course includes photography. So I only look at those that I want to have some 'influence' on what I do. If I were to tell the world about all the things I don't like I would not have time to get my camera out.

What I do or don't like is not important to anyone. I have always taught clients to find their own path.

Back