Masking technique for portraits?

Edit My Images
Yes
After many years of using real fabric backdrops for (my) family portraits, I kind of got bored of the three that I have (and not willing to invest more in this) and decided to use virtual backdrops. I have been using Photoshop Elements for many years, although I am not an expert. I had a recent photo session where I took photos of my son against a yellow-green wall with the idea of using various virtual backdrops. I tried various methods, and they do a good job, but not perfect. Sometimes I can still see hints of the real background around the edges.

I tried the following methods:
- embedded "Replace Background",
- select the subject manually, invert selection and delete
- select the background and delete.

Still, I am not 100% happy with the results.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Photoshop CC would suit your needs a little better than elements, in my opinion

easy to select subjects and replace BG's like this - select Background option and make a mask, then insert any BG you like

original

sOKRFC3.jpg

Photoshop

xXJef5k.jpg

Les :)

Thank you for your response. Honestly, I don’t like the idea of subscription software. Plus, I cannot justify it. I mostly take family photos. It’ actually easy to do this in PSE, just not sure what settings to use.

The Auto selection tool is probably what you want in Elements but it will requires lost of help and corrections. The Select>Subject in PS is now very effective but you cannot expect to get advanced facilities like this without paying. Do you pay a subscription for your Phone/ broadband? However, if you do want advanced capabilities for a one-off payment they try Topaz Mask AI. I have Mask AI myself and find it excellent. I was using the Topaz product before Adobe produced the enhanced Select>Subject. While I have tested Adobe's version and it works well, I am well used to Topaz AI so tend to make this a first choice.

Dave

Back