Massive decision time

Edit My Images
Yes
Looking for input and advice on this one.

Bought my 1DnMk2 several months ago, as I was trying to get into sports photography, specifically football and rugby. Things didnt come as easily as I'd hoped there and so things have now started going down the wedding and portrait route. When I bought the 1D, I thought it would be pretty versatile.

Have quickly found that the 1D just isnt for weddings - too heavy and probably too valuable to be waving around without it being attached to a monopod!

Went out with a pro yesterday for a wedding, and he uses Fuji S5 Pro's, having switched from Canon's. I also had a go of one for a period yesterday and thought it was excellent. Light, very usuable. The pro mentioned was my wedding photographer, so I know the S5 produces wonderful images.

So, the big question is... should I sell the 1DnMk2 and invest in an S5 and relevant lenses? Does anyone here have experience of an S5? All thoughts welcome, but would especially love to hear from wedding photographers.... :)

Why not just use the 40D weggy, its more than capable:shrug:
Dean:)

I've heard the 5D is excellent for weddings...
It would be expensive to completely change brands, and I'm just think maybe its best to stay with canon so you can use your existing cameras.

Edit: Existing lenses

Thanks guys.. (hope the hangover clears soon fp ;-))

I was thinking of the 40D as a backup unit. The reason I'm thinking of the S5 is:

1. Auto ISO... massive benefit to a wedding tog, especially in and out of buildings
2. Dynamic range
3. It can take an 18-200 Nikkor lens, which covers most bases for weddings

Keep the thoughts coming!

On the one hand weggy, your thinking is sound. The other way of looking at is there will always be a better or more suitable piece of kit out there. What you have is more than capable of doing the job... and in fact more than lots of great snappers have.

If you don't like hefting the 1d, use the 40 and have the 1 as your backup.

It took me a while to REALLY get this in my head but the first trick to making money from photography is not to spend it. ;)

Weggy, I'm really struggling to see why you think the 1DMK2 isn't a wedding camera. You're surely not basing that on weight alone?

I don't know anything about the Fuji S5, but I wouldn't rush into changing over to one just because this guy has, which is what it sounds like to be honest.

The 1.3 sensor has big advantages in it's wider FOV for group shots and interior shots, although, regardless of sensor size, these things can be overcome with sensible lens choice.

I'd have thought if you really wanted an 'ideal' wedding camera (without getting a mortgage) the 5D is the obvious choice.

Thanks again all

Dazza - the 1d is an expensive backup :LOL:

CT - not purely the weight, although my arms do really ache after yesterday and were getting a bit shaky towards the end of the wedding. The 1d is much more comfortable used on a touchline, attached to a monopod, in my experience :D

The 18-200 lens would be a massive benefit... 27-300 in magnification terms with the S5. Compare that to the 24-105 on the 1d (31.2-136.5).... I have looked, but can't find a lens comparable to the 18-200 for the 1d - Tamron and Sigma do one but it only fits EFS compatible bodies as far as I can see...

The other thing - if I sold the 1d, judging on what CT's went for recently, I'd be able to get the S5, 18-200, flashgun and still have enough change for a KFC bargain bucket :LOL:

Dazza - the 1d is an expensive backup

It's what mine does now. When I have to shoot with 35mm style I use a 5D and the 1 mkII comes along for the ride. It's a shame as I much prefer it but the images are better from the 5.

I'd check out the weight and feel of the 5D before taking that huge step. Why can you not use a monopod at weddings anyway?

The other thing - if I sold the 1d, judging on what CT's went for recently, I'd be able to get the S5, 18-200, flashgun and still have enough change for a KFC bargain bucket :LOL:
Yep. And your backup for weddings is... what? 40D plus a bag full of lenses that you can't use on the S5. Doesn't sound too good to me.

Back